Izz2000
missbailey8

Prostitution should be legal

missbailey8

Izz2000

Con

This is actually an invitation to missbailey8 , so if you accept please state in round one and wait further instructions, if not then you can apologize for not accepting also in round one.
missbailey8

Pro

I accept my opponent's invitation to debate.

Resolution: Prostitution should be legal

I'd like to clarify the rules and structure to avoid confusion.

Structure:
Round 1 - Acceptance
Round 2 - Opening Statements
Round 3 - Rebuttals

Rules:
1) No hate speech/ slander
2) No kritkiks
3) No plagiarism
4) No new arguments in final round
5) Please use citations
6) No forfeiture
7) No troll arguments
8) BoP is shared

Terms:

Prostitution - the practice or occupation of engaging in sexual activity with someone for payment.

Should - used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions.

Be - (used to indicate the condition of a person or thing)

Legal - allowed by the law or by the rules in a game

Voting Rules:
1) Vote Convincing Arguments
2) Only vote conduct if plagiarism, forfeiture, and/or slander is present
3) Only vote spelling and grammar if it's so poor it detracts from the arguments at hand
4) Only vote reliable sources if they're proven to be false, biased, etc. by opponents

Thank you. I look forward to your arguments.
Izz2000

Con

I'm glad that missbailey8 has accepted my challenge and I'm looking forward for this interesting debate .
Note: since missbailey8 is pro I believe you'll have to post your argument that supports your position on the legalization of what is considered by many to be a dishonourable act before I post mine .
missbailey8

Pro

First of all, did you even look at the structure I proposed? With this, we'll be unable to provide rebuttals, as your next round is going to be your opening statements and I'll have to waive the last round. Why do I have to post my argument before yours? You instigated the debate! You should've known that you'd have to go first.

Anyway, here are my arguments for prostitution.

A. Reduction of Crime

I. Rhode Island's Prostitution and Its Effects on Rape and STDs

In Rhode Island, for nearly three decades, prostitution was practically legal through a loophole in the law.

"...examined rates of rape and STDs in Rhode Island from about 2003, the year a court case exposed the inadvertent legalization, to 2009, when the loophole was closed.

"Their paper, Decriminalizing Indoor Prostitution: Implications for Sexual Violence and Public Health, published recently by the National Bureau of Economic Research, found that the world's oldest profession prospered after 2003, when folks realized it was essentially legit." [1]

What did the authors find through this study?

"The pair found that rape decreased by almost one-third, down 31 percent. Gonorrhea decreased by 39 percent." [1]

This was in Rhode Island alone! Can this not be an example for the rest of America to follow?

II. Sex Trafficking Reduction

"It’s estimated that there are around 30 million victims of human trafficking around the world. More than half of the victims (55 percent) are women or girls.

"According to the International Labor Organization, human trafficking generates around $150 billion per year. Two-thirds of this money ($99 billion) comes from commercial sexual exploitation.

"The United States is not immune to the perils of this disgusting industry. Somewhere between 14,500 and 17,500 people are trafficked into the United States every year. The vast majority of these individuals are trafficked for sex work." [2]

But does prostitution reduce this? In fact, yes! In one example, after Germany made prostitution legal, sex trafficking went down by about 10%. [3]

B. Money

I. Saving Money

In the United States, Nevada is the only state to currently allow prostitution. The rest of the U.S has made prostitution illegal. Despite this, money can certainly be saved if only it was legal.

"In the U.S., law enforcement agencies spend at least $2,000 for each arrest of a sex worker â€" that includes the arrest, court, and imprisonment costs. And with the vast number of sex workers in the country, it costs the government more than $120 million a year on prostitution control." [4]

That makes for a hefty price tag, especially when you consider that there are one million prostitutes in America alone. [5] If it was illegal in the United States, all this money could be saved.

II. Making Money

This is a simple argument. In America, illegal prostitution businesses don't pay any taxes. However, if brothels were made legal, then they can be made to pay taxes like any other business.

"Since counties began legalizing prostitution in the early 1970s, they have been reaping an economic benefit from a variety of brothel-related revenue sources, including licensing fees, property tax, work card fees and liquor licenses. In total the sources pump more than $10 million into county coffers annually, according to one state study." [6]

C. Prostitution Is A Victimless Crime

In prostitution, no one is necessarily harmed as long as it's two consenting adults. So, in a way, it's similar to porn but without the camera. Both are seen as a career where you engage in sexual acts for money. How are they different? (Besides the obvious lack of media.)

"'Prostitution should not be a crime. Prostitutes are not committing an inherently harmful act. While the spread of disease and other detriments are possible in the practice of prostitution, criminalization is a sure way of exacerbating rather than addressing such effects. We saw this quite clearly in the time of alcohol prohibition in this country.

"'...What makes prostitution a "victimless crime" in the sense that no one is necessarily harmed by it is that there are consenting adults involved.;'" [7]

D. Free Choice

Again, like I said before, prostitution isn't inherently or intentionally trying to hurt anyone. Why can't it be legal, as long as it doesn't restrict the freedoms of others. It's their body, so they should be allowed to go along with their lives however they see fit.

Thank you. I look forward to your opening statements. Good bye.

Citations
[1]http://www.laweekly.com...
[2]http://elitedaily.com...
[3]http://www.thedailybeast.com...
[4]http://www.listland.com...
[5]http://www.businessinsider.com...
[6]http://www.jour.unr.edu...
[7]http://prostitution.procon.org...
Izz2000

Con

Thank you very much for this impressive argument , and I hope my argument can compete with yours ...

1-I get the point , when a sex worker involves voluntarily in a sexual action then he/she will find both pleasure and money in this life profession , so will the client , thus reducing the rates of violence . However , prostitution itself is a very decadent way of earning money to be a profession , a job , we both agree that prostitution has become a job , so let's treat it as a job , the first idea we get about a person's life job is (study) , for a person studies hard to get a decent job where he is paid what he certainly deserves ex: doctor , engineer, pilot , carpenter , musician , painter, etc… , another person may work hard in a life profession that doesn't involve study, ex: cleaner , worker , or a person who works in a shop and sales things .

In all of these types of life professions the person works hard , some work harder than others , and eventually earn more . Now if we come to prostitution , it's a job when a person's only work is to enjoy himself/herself and his/her partner or without involving any hard work or any life's gift , people are gifted with their jobs , they know how to get it right even the cleaner himself , so how can someone just come and use his/her body in a profession that no sane human mind can consider even close to be equal to these life professions where workers find respect ? and do you think legalization will maintain the workers safety or even respect , no because the woman (since most of prostitutes are women ) who agrees to sell her body to a man for money will never get respect of that man ( the client himself) and will always subject to rape and assault.( https://www.google.iq...)

2-Putting in mind that this job can always be dangerous to the worker and to the client :

First – physical abuse , abuse from customers or even an early domestic abuse that leads to becoming a prostitute . (http://womensissues.about.com...)

Second- most prostitutes are drug addicts (https://www.ncjrs.gov...) .

Third- it actually increases trafficking (http://journalistsresource.org...)

Forth – STDs , incidents in West Virginia… (http://www.privatemdlabs.com...)

There really are other jobs that are way much better than this .

3-And the worst thing that it could start in early age , leading girls into a life of decadence and abuse instead of creating a good future .

"80 percent of the world population of prostitutes are female and range in age between 13-25".(https://www.google.iq...)

4- reasons for becoming :

First - "there are women who see prostitution as their way out of poverty"

if this is the case then we should work on solving poverty so that people don't need to get into such dangerous business.

Second- "many were forced into prostitution against their will"

Then the government should track pimps who force women into this business for their own profit.

Third-"large numbers of prostitutes were sexually abused during their childhood."

The society should really aspire to become better than this .

Forth- True decadence … "many prostitutes chose be their will to become prostitutes for the simple fact that they can get millions in a very short time even if they are accepted in universities " (http://www.philosophyinaction.com...)

And this is simply against pride and against the honorable method of working hard , beside .. what are they going to do when they can't perform sexual actions anymore?

And there are other reasons that are almost similar to these major three reasons.( https://www.mentalhelp.net...)

Also check https://www.google.iq...

Final Note ( very important ) :

Now If the world aspires to be better then it really shouldn't allow prostitution to be accepted as a life profession , and the only way to do that is by removing all reasons that may anyhow force people into prostitution , we must fight poverty and spread education , we must criminalize domestic abuse , we must destroy trafficking , and this is exactly what we are not doing , even criminalizing prostitution is not applied in the correct way , because the people who criminalize it are themselves criminals , they could even get involved in the same industry that they are apparently fighting , law must be forced upon all , a real constructive law that can get the world out of the s**t it's been drowning in for ages.

missbailey8

Pro

Thank you for the debate. As the rules say, I'll waive this round for the sake of being fair.
Posted by missbailey8 6 months ago
missbailey8
I'd also like to thank you too lzz2000. This was an interesting debate. :)
Posted by Izz2000 6 months ago
Izz2000
It's been a good debate specially that it's my first ,I was impressed by missbailey8's argument and I've read all your comments and they are really useful thank you very much for stating your opinions and I hope I can use them to become better at debates , thank you everyone , thank you missbailey8 for this debate .
Posted by Ragnar 6 months ago
Ragnar
Voting on behalf of the Voter Union... FYI my votes give a lot of commentary from my thoughts as I read your arguments, and general advice. That I call out certain obvious fallacies, doesn't mean I've dismissed the points, merely that I am literate enough to understand them.

---RFD (1 of 3)---
Arguments: In gist, pro laid out a clear easy to follow case, whereas con Gish Galloped. A pretty easy pro victory.
Sources: Their level of integration leans them in pro's favor, but the work con presented on this leaves it within the tied range (hard to win sources prior to rebuttal rounds).

Really hope that setup was agreed to before it was posted...
Opening, con tossed away a good advantage by not pressing any points at the start of R2. Pro tossed away more with opting to not use the final round for rebuttals (incredible conduct, but you did not have to, since the mistake of no opening arguments was on the instigator). In light of the general confusion, I strongly suggest a redo; same opening arguments, but with another round or two for rebuttals etc.

Pro's case: one third less rape, one third less of at least one type of STD; decrease sex trafficking (nice research), $120M saved on enforcement, and $10M extra revenue from Nevada (some math of applying this to the rest of the country would have been nice). A victimless crime quote kind of left hanging (just doing the appeal to authority to Sherry Colb would have made this claim a much better argument). And of course free choice (felt like begging the question, but freedom tends to be an effective bit of pathos).
Posted by Ragnar 6 months ago
Ragnar
---RFD (2 of 3)---
Con's case: It's not a respectable form of employment, and it is not skilled labor (the source was a good pathos appeal, sadly felt a bit like a blog post, but either way it could have been much better integrated rather than hanging). Violence is currently common in their workplace (I know it wasn't the round for rebuttals, but this would have been a ton better if you cited a location with it legalized and still suffering that problem). They're on average drug addicts (this did not rise to the level of being a full argument, largely because the source is inaccessible. A .gov source is great to use, but if we can't access the data, we can't give you credit for it). Increased slave trafficking (very nice catch... Reading over the source I found flaws in the data, but you have nullified one of pro's points at least until a rebuttal round can be added if this debate is redone). STD's where prostitution is illegal (this fell flat due to being off topic from the resolution. Next time please find even one location where legalized protection is correlated with even one increased STD transmission... should be easy given that if legal people are more likely to get tested, causing at least a short term spike in the measured rates). "There really are other jobs that are way much better than this" (a little unclear the argument you were trying to make there). The reason women become prostitutes are dubious. They can make too much money ("millions), which is dishonorable. "And there are other reasons that are almost similar to these major three reasons.(https://www.mentalhelp.net......) Also check https://www.google.iq...; (this is why I simplified your case down to a Gish Gallop, saying the information is out there in some sources you vaguely linked without tying into your arguments, does not equal victory).
Posted by Ragnar 6 months ago
Ragnar
---RFD (3 of 3)---
Quality vs quantity. Con had some good points, but for the most part the execution was sloppy. The worst being the jealousy complaints about how unfair it is for a woman to make too much money on unskilled labor. Whereas pro gave hard data, even while some of it had to be removed from consideration (the debate did not advance into rebuttal terrify, so I'm simply dismissing direct disagreements such as if it does or does not increase sex trafficking... STDs stand, since legalized it decreased, illegal it increased). In truth it doesn't seem ideal, but the societal benefits of money and health are openly agreed upon by both.
Posted by Danielle 6 months ago
Danielle
RFD: Pro argues that legalized prostitution would lead to less rape, STDs, sex trafficking and provide opportunities to make money. She also claims it is a victimless crime, and people should have the freedom to make that personal choice.

Con argues that prostitution is a job (which Pro does not deny) and that legalization would not offer worker protection. He claims physical abuse will still be a problem, and while his argument that "prostitutes will always be seen as available to rape" is not compelling, he cited sources proving that rape and sex trafficking do correlate directly with legalized prostitution which Pro did not have the opportunity to respond to per the debate structure.

Con argued that STD rates would increase which he also used a source to justify. He says the government ought to provide better ways of combating poverty instead of legalizing prostitution, and says freedom of choice does not trump the good of society. Essentially Con refuted all of Pro"s arguments, and while I agree with Pro, she had the BOP and couldn"t fulfill her burden since the structure inhibited her from responding to Con"s rebuttals. Con"s (flawed) rebuttals were sufficient in nixing Pro"s arguments.
Vote Placed by DonutQueen 6 months ago
DonutQueen
Izz2000missbailey8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: In this debate it seemed that both sides had evidence supporting different side of the same statement. such as pro provided evidence stating that it would lower STD rate but con said it would raise them. As not rebuttal took place I can not judge on that however con was able to not only provide his own speech but also blend in evidence that would counter pro's argument. All in all good debate :)
Vote Placed by Ragnar 6 months ago
Ragnar
Izz2000missbailey8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments. Vote on behalf of the Voter Union.
Vote Placed by Udel 6 months ago
Udel
Izz2000missbailey8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro argues that hooking will lead to less rape, Con shows that hookers get raped. Pro argues that it will lead to less STDs, Con showed that hookers get STDs. Pro calls for standards of freedom and Con calls for standards of moral decency for society. So far it's a tie but then Pro wins because Con dropped the money argument, and Pro's argument that collecting revenue from hookers would benefit society as a whole and not just the individual.
Vote Placed by kasmic 6 months ago
kasmic
Izz2000missbailey8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This vote is for the VU. http://www.debate.org/forums/politics/topic/87991/
Vote Placed by Danielle 6 months ago
Danielle
Izz2000missbailey8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.
Vote Placed by ivan2002 6 months ago
ivan2002
Izz2000missbailey8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: it is immoral
Vote Placed by Wylted 6 months ago
Wylted
Izz2000missbailey8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct is even. I don't like pro trying to force rules on con he did not agree to, nor do I like Con skipping a round. Con's argument can be boiled down to the fact that illegal prostitution is often bad for the women. They are used because of their drug addictions and traumatic past, however pro correctly points out that prostigution is going to happen whether it is legal or not, but atleast legalizing it curs down on the number of women used, as evidenced by the reduction in human trafficking numbers. That is the main argument analyzed, other arguments played a small factor, and essentially con stuck with one contention anyway.