I-am-a-panda
fredman15

Prostitution should be legalised in the US

I-am-a-panda

I-am-a-panda

Pro

I would like to thank Fredman in advance for thsi debate. I wish him the best of luck. I will be basing my argument off one from a previous debate of mine (http://www.debate.org...) .

=== PRO ARGUMENTS ===

ECONOMIC BENEFITS:

If Prostitution was legalised, the government could regulate it and tax it. It would create more revenue for the government through this. Furthermore, it would add another legal market to the economy and lead for a bigger economy for the nation which legalises it.

The legalisation of Prostitution has benefited many countries which legalised it economically, and is a significant percentage of economic activity.

"The prostitution industry accounts for 5% of the GDP of the Netherlands, between 1 and 3% of Japanese GDP and in 1998, the International Labour Organization (ILO) estimated that prostitution accounted for between 2 and 14% of the total economic activity in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines" - http://sisyphe.org...

WORKER BENEFITS:

The legalisation of prostitution would lead to better working conditions for prostitutes. The legalisation of prostitution has led to better health conditions in countries which legalise it, such as Senegal:

"In Senegal, HIV prevalence among pregnant women has been below 1% for more than a decade. A strong multisectoral response, an effective STD control programme and early legalization of prostitution have been credited for this low level. Special clinical services, for example, offer regular examination and treatment for registered sex workers. Not only has there been a significant decline in STD rates among sex workers and pregnant women between 1991 and 1996, but genital ulcers are also no longer common and chancroid is reportedly rare." - http://www.liberator.net...

Another example is Nevada within the U.S. Currently, only selected areas of Nevada have legalised prostitution. In this system, women are regularly checked for STD's. Women are tested for Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia weekly, and monthly for HIV and syphilis (http://www.leg.state.nv.us...). It also worth noting there has not been a single case of a prostitute in the legalised brothels of Nevada getting AIDS, and this is since 1989. (http://www.fff.org...)

This is comparable to areas where prostitution still illegal, where "roughly half of the street prostitutes in Washington, D.C., and New York City are HIV-positive. In Newark, New Jersey, the estimate is that close to 60% of all prostitutes carry the AIDS virus." (http://www.fff.org...)

It is also worth noting that, as it stands, prostitutes have little legal recourse, and workers rights do no exist, which, if prostitution were legalised, would allow prostitute to get better working conditions, allow to join unions, among other things.

This shows that when the sex industry is legalised and regulated, the workers within it are less prone to STD's than in the illegal sex industry.

SOCIETAL BENEFITS:

There is a general reduction in violence and criminal activities with the legalisation of prostitution, and a lower crime rates in accordance with the level of punishment given to prostitution.

"It is unknown if there is a correlation between laws that prohibit sex and higher crime rates, but the reverse appears to be more enlightening. The countries where prostitution is legal do not suffer from a high number of violent crimes." - http://www.liberator.net...

CONCLUSION:

In conclusion, the legalisation of prostitution leads to a bigger economy. There are also benefits for workers in the form of legal recourse and significantly lower STD rates. There is also a reduced crime rate.
fredman15

Con

yeah true we would make more money from their taxes but just think people that could be doctors scientist or people that could find a cure or aids or breast cancer will say man that is too much hard work then they will say prostitution easy and I can make a lot of money you see they could have been someone big in life and they could maybe have change the world instead they took the easy way out and then sooner or later little kids will start saying I would to start being a prostitute like 12 or 13 ma7y do it in high school and it will corrupt the young minds now a days
I-am-a-panda

Pro

I thank my opponent for his response.

"we would make more money from their taxes but just think people that could be doctors scientist or people that could find a cure or aids or breast cancer will say man that is too much hard work then they will say prostitution easy and I can make a lot of money you see they could have been someone big in life and they could maybe have change the world instead they took the easy way out and then sooner or later little kids will start saying I would to start being a prostitute like 12 or 13 ma7y do it in high school and it will corrupt the young minds now a days"

--> Prostitution would clearly not be an option for someone below the legal age limit, and would be illegal, not a legal, form of prostitution.

Furthermore, prostitution works to provide supply to a demand. There can only be so many jobs provided by prostitution, so the idea that a whole generation of girls will become prostitutes is false. It is the same argument as saying a possible scientist might end up on the production of a factory, but it doesn't justify outlawing factories.

My arguments stand unrefuted. Back to my opponent.
fredman15

Con

fredman15 forfeited this round.
I-am-a-panda

Pro

I hope all is well with my opponent. However, my arguments stand unrefuted, and I await his response in the next round.
fredman15

Con

fredman15 forfeited this round.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
I-am-a-panda
1) Eh, legalising it forces criminal organisation to enter a legitimate form of taxed business. A lot of business are fronts for criminal organisation. But just because a handful of Wal-Marts might be peddling cocaine doest' mean every supermarket should be shut down.

1) It may not be significant, but it does improve the economy. I never mentioned getting the US out of debt.

2) Why does it stop when they reach menopause? The goal is to pull clients, not make babies. Yo could argue nay workers job is to do X before they reach age Y, and thus any form of work is detrimental.

3) I would think the majority of prostitutes being in safe brothels rather than being on streets will significantly reduce rape. Also, keep in mind prostitutes have a legal form of recourse, so they won't be afraid to turn to the police for help if they were raped.

4) When I think of Holland I think of Windmills and woodenclogs :). I don't think legalising prostitution is going to change a lot of Americas image. Rather, it will increase tourism, which will give tourists a better image of America. I'm pretty sure a lot of males have favourable images of Holland, Thailand, etc.
Posted by Sniperjake1994 6 years ago
Sniperjake1994
I feel like comment on this cause I-A-A-Panda seems to be pwning about this topic:

1) Prostitution is normally run by criminal organizations. If the U.S is to legalize it then it would demean the government in supporting/aiding criminal organizations. This is the opposite of what the government is attempting to do.

Pro's argument
1) Other countries who legalized it have not economically changed drastically, thus legalizing it is utterly worthless. 1-5% is not really significant to bring the U.S out of its debt.

2) Essentially women in prostitution have one goal before they reach menopause: get as much money as possible before you become unattractive. This means women will keep having sex until they collapse from exhaustion or until a serious health condition.

3) Women are still being raped whether or not prostitution is legalized. Sex predator looks for the most attractive women rather than a quantity of women in brothels. Not only that but your source does not concretely support this contention. To top this argument off with another different argument: Since prostitution is an easy job (over $100K/yr), women are less likely to study in other fields leading to men dominance in society again. If society is reaching for equality then prostitution is deterring the achievement of the goal.

Some random argument: Rather than a reputation as the mighty super-power the U.S is portraying itself as a hot tourist spot for prostitution. For example when a person talks about Holland or Amsterdam what is the first thing that comes to mind? Red light district. This only demeans the U.S image.
Posted by belle 6 years ago
belle
note that con's argument is a run-on sentence that has in fact not ended yet. i guess we'll get the continuation in the next round :D
Vote Placed by RazaMobizo 6 years ago
RazaMobizo
I-am-a-pandafredman15Tied
Vote Placed by Sniperjake1994 6 years ago
Sniperjake1994
I-am-a-pandafredman15Tied
Vote Placed by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
I-am-a-panda
I-am-a-pandafredman15Tied