Republican95
B-Money

Prostitution should be legalized.

B-Money

Republican95

Pro

Prostitution-the act of engaging in sexual activities for money.

Legalized-Making it legal for persons over the age of 18 to be prostitutes or to "use" prostitutes at a federal level. However, prostitutes must be mandated to carry a license.

Introuduction
Currently, 49 states outlaw prostitution (Nevada is the only one that doesn't). As PRO I stand in affirmation that Prostitution should be legalized. I believe so for the following reasons.

a) Prostitution is a victimless crime. No one is a victim of prosecution. It is not on the same level as rape or murder, where victims are involved. Prostitution is just a way of conducting commerce. To limit prosecution would be to limit freedom.

b) Revenue. Legalizing prostitution would lead to a boost in the economy (not like were to going to come out of a recession or anything, but it will increase GDP). In countries where prostitution is legalized (Thailand, The Netherlands, etc) "sex tourism" is a big part of their economies. People use other services (hotels, restaurants) while using conducting "sex tourism". Also, the government could tax the the activity for a nice profit.

c) The Equal Protection Clause is violated under the current law. In the current law only prostitutes are prosecuted, their customers are not. A similar analogy would be to only prosecute drug dealers and not drug users. It violates prostitutes' rights.

d) Prostitution will become more visible. The more "openness" of prostitution will make it easier to monitor and regulate.

I look forward to my opponent's rebuttals. Thanks for taking this debate.
B-Money

Con

Cool topic, though I must admit that my taking this side feels a little bit like America arguing against baseball. I'm going to use this first speech to ask some clarifying questions, both on your arguments and the worldview you are advocating --

1) Are limits on freedom ever justified? If so, when? Please be as specific as possible.
2) Do you believe there will be a certain demographic most likely to become prostitutes? Or will all demographics be equally inclined to work as prostitutes?
3) Are there any business arrangements that people should not be allowed to enter into? Should a person be allowed to sell him or herself into slavery? Contract with a loan shark? Why or why not?
4) Have you been to Amsterdam, Bangkok, or Phnom Penh?
5) How would you sum up the Equal Protection clause?
6) When you go to a gas station, do you see a lot of cigarettes? Do you see a lot of insurance ads on TV?
7) Is increasing government revenue a sufficient reason to legalize prostitution? I.E. - if you win this argument and nothing else, should voters vote for you based on this argument alone?
8) Do you believe communities should have any rights when it comes to city ordinances or zoning restrictions?

I'd appreciate it if you provide the answers to these questions instead of trying to preempt them as arguments. I'm just trying to clarify a few things, not committing to any statements or strategies just yet.

Thanks.
Republican95

Pro

Yes. Limiting freedoms is okay in situations in which such freedoms could cause security hazards, such as taking a gun on a plane or in a school.

No.

In the situations you laid out the answer is yes people can do that. We are allowed to control our lives, it someone wishes to sell themselves into slavery no one should be able to stop them. However, it might be difficult because slavery is of itself illegal.

I have, as a matter of fact, been to Amsterdam. Very nice town, lots of tulips and canals...

Basically, what you are asking is, how do I interpret the clause? I interpret it as all parties to a crime must be equally prosecuted.

Yes. How is this relevant?

Government basically taxes everything, so I don't see why prostitution, if legalized, should be excluded.

Yes.

I look forward to the next round.
B-Money

Con

B-Money forfeited this round.
Republican95

Pro

My points made in round 1 stand.

Vote PRO!
B-Money

Con

B-Money forfeited this round.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
I would have defaulted PRO due to multiple forfeits. I don't see why CON has points.
Posted by Xer 8 years ago
Xer
Brothels are legal in Nevada, prostitution is not.

Prostitution is legal in Rhode Island.
-But no pimping, brothels, or street prostitution.
---So I guess if you walked in a bar in RI and asked a chick for sex for $20 it is legal.
Posted by Republican95 8 years ago
Republican95
I just don't like having restrictions on character count, I think I should be able to express my ideas no matter how long they may be. All of my debates are 8,000 characters, check my debate's out, I don't rant that much.
Posted by B-Money 8 years ago
B-Money
I'm fine w/ legalized prostitution but play some devil's advocate with CON if you lower the character limit to 1 or 2k. I just don't want to get into one of those debates where someone barfs up a bunch of irrelevant quotes that I have no interest in reading.
Posted by Republican95 8 years ago
Republican95
On all levels...
Posted by TheSkeptic 8 years ago
TheSkeptic
Ah, I did a debate on this before as well. I'm on the side of PRO ;).

On the other hand, the Equal Protection Clause is a bad argument - this clause has been abused so many times.
Posted by Prophecy_Denied 8 years ago
Prophecy_Denied
Street prostitution? On the individual level? On an industry level?

Could you clear it up for me please.
Vote Placed by welldonesteak 8 years ago
welldonesteak
Republican95B-MoneyTied
Vote Placed by Zephyr 8 years ago
Zephyr
Republican95B-MoneyTied