Its-you-or-me
Guderian

Prostitution should be legalized

Guderian

Its-you-or-me

Con

I would first like to say a few things about what has to be done. As i am doing this for a class my coach only for now wants me to use a value so it would be nice if my opponent would do the same. That is all. Just use a value. That is the only thing that will change
I negate the resolution resolved: Prostitution should be legalized.

I would like to begin by offering the following definition:

Prostitution-The giving or receiving of the body for sexual activity for hires. - The 'Lectric Law Library's

The value that we have chosen for this debate is Societal Welfare. Societal Welfare states that the most important things that we should be concerned about and keep out of harms way is health, safety, order, and economics. By legalizing Prostitution it harms every single one of those which we will go into detail in our contentions. They will be in the following order: 1- legalizing Prostitution brings many harms with it 2- Prostitution will raise the dropout rate 3- Legalizing Prostitution does not help the economy but will harm it.

Contention 1- Legalizing Prostitution will bring harm to society in many ways.
Such as in health, in 1994 "American Journal of Public Health" put out a study where 70% of the participants who were prostitutes had high levels of depressive symptoms. "This data indicates that the high level of depressive symptoms observed for study participants appears to be a serious problem facing these women." As said by Margarita Alegria, Ph.D. By being a prostitute it can cause many mental illnesses such as PTSD [Posttraumatic Stress Disorder] and Dissociation. Melissa Farley, Ph.D., Founding Director of the Prostitution Research and Education, wrote "Bad for the Body, Bad for the Heart" in the Oct. 2004 Violence against Women that stated: "PTSD is normative among prostituted women…." Farley, early that year found a PTSD regularity rate of 68% among those in prostitution in nine countries. Now not only does it do harm to the individual it also harms society in a sense that they have to institutionalize them. By trying to clean the street of crime and by trying to institutionalize them and get them through a rehabilitation if the government gives them that choice would cost to much as it is already costing to much to rid the streets of the crime that is now out there. Therefore driving the economy into more debt than filling the whole with dirty money. Also prostitution is associated with crime, corruption, mass sexual exploitation and human trafficking. By legalizing this you are bringing along the full package so to speak.

Contention 2- Prostitution will raise the dropout rate.
In today's world the best way to make money is to make it fast and to make it big. Prostitution is an easy way to do this but it is the worst. Any person with an 6th grade level of knowledge knows that you don't need any type of training or any type of degree to be a prostitute. So out of pure laziness, since one doesn't see that education is nessacary to them anymore and they prefer large amounts of money on the spot they turn to prostitution. So by making it legalized it will official by a career choice that anyone could take therefore making education useless to some or all.

Contention 3- As I mentioned in my first a contention that legalizing prostitution will not stimulate the economy but it will hurt it. If we do legalize it we would have to have some things to go along with it. For instance everyone likes a clean prostitute. No one would like to contract HIV or gonorrhea or any type of STD for that matter. So we would have to have the average consult for STD's with a medical professionals is $150 per visit with test costing extra. If every prostitute in the United States was tested monthly, which would do nothing to stop the spread of STD's, the government would have to pay roughly billions in medical examinations alone. You would also have to higher a large amount of DR to do this costing more. This will also lead to corruption. If one prostitute is not to have a clean record one can not perform the duty since the condition it has. Well since he or she is a prostitute he/she can easily offer themselves to have a clean record leaving that client with disease of that prostitute.

So, in conclusion by legalizing prostitution you are harming society by raising dropout rates, hurting the economy and the stability of individuals, and make corruption where there is already so much.
Guderian

Pro

I would first like to thank my opponent and look forward to an interesting debate.

On to Contention 1: It is important to note that today's illegal prostitution rings have no laws regulating the protection of prostitutes. The PTSD, and STD's can be avoided by having legitimate brothels that protect the women. No beatings or such could take place in a protected environment, reducing significantly the chances of mental disorders.

By legalizing Prostitution you are not bringing along the crime, corruption, or trafficking because there are know legitimate institutions. Employers hire their employees just like any other business and have interest in ensuring their continued health and productivity.

Contention 2: This contention does not really prove anything. The same lazy student could simply try a life of crime or other "easy" jobs. Those who work hard and wish to succeed are always going to do better over over the pot-smoking lazy student who drops out. The drop-out may also turn to prostitution anyway- by legalizing it you are now better protecting that drop-out.

Contention 3: This contention merely assumes that the government would be the owner of the brothels. If the brothels were privately-owned the business owner would pay for the monthly check-ups as part of their operating costs and import that in the price of their product. In that way the spread of STD's is still countered without a lot of extra cost.

I contend that:

Contention I: That prostitution is good for the economy.

Prostitution is good for the economy for several reasons. First, it takes a previously illegal industry and legalizes it, opening the way for tax revenue which will help the government. It would provide low-skill people with a chance to work, and it will offer new business opportunity's for business owners.

Contention II: Legalizing the Prostitution increases the Public Health.

The prevalence among STD's in prostitutes today is a direct result of an illegal industry with no standards. Assuming the legalization of Prostitution one could argue that is would be in the Brothel's best interest to have their employees be healthy, both to offer a better product and ensure continue productivity. A client is very likely to pay more for a clean prostitute over one that is carrying an STD. In this respect the public health would be increased as STD's among this profession would be less common.

Contention III: That the legalization of Prostitution cuts down on crime.

Legalizing Prostitution cuts down on crime in several ways. Firstly prostitution would itself no longer be a crime, and prostitutes or their clients could no longer be arrested. Secondly, the secondary crime that is common with proposition such as drugs, abuse and the like would be dramatically decreased with legalization.
Its-you-or-me

Con

Its-you-or-me forfeited this round.
Guderian

Pro

As my opponent has forfited this round, I cannot respond to any new arguments. My previous points stand.
Vote Placed by mecap 8 years ago
mecap
Its-you-or-meGuderianTied
Vote Placed by Its-you-or-me 8 years ago
Its-you-or-me
Its-you-or-meGuderianTied
Vote Placed by Guderian 8 years ago
Guderian
Its-you-or-meGuderianTied