Mikal
lbj123

Prostitution should be legalized

Mikal

Mikal

Pro

For the purpose of this debate the definitions in the resolution will be accepted as follows.

Prostitution - the practice or occupation of engaging in sexual activity with someone for payment.

Legalized - make (something that was previously illegal) permissible by law.

Rounds will follow this structure

ME

Round 1 : Rules
Round 2 : Opening arguments and contentions
Round 3 : Rebuttals, rebuilding points, and closing statements

Adversary

Round 1 : Opening arguments and contentions
Round 2: Rebuttals, rebuilding points, and closing statements
Round 3 : Shall type "no round as agreed upon"

Rules

(1) Failure to type no round as agreed upon by my adversary will result in a full 7 point drop due to him/her having an extra round
(2) 10k character limit
(3) No sources may be posted that would extend that debaters arguments. (ie posting a link would extend your argument past 10k words)
(4) FF shall result in the loss of a conduct with multiple FFs possibly leading to a full 7 point drop at the discretion of the judges.
lbj123

Con

'Do me. Just do me. Please. Give me fifty dollars to do me right up the butt. I'll be a better lover than your wife. Just do me!" How would you respond to this statement. Would you do her for fifty dollars? Is sex worth fifty dollars? Well, I'm just saying, I don't know how you will be when you have a daughter (or a son for that matter).

Would you like your children to end up stripping at a bar? Do you want your children to post porn videos? Do you thing it's alright?

Yes, they might make all the money in the world, and I guess they get something that all human beings pleasure: sex. However, would you like to see others grow up to be the next Bill Gates, or do you only see people in the darkness, where prostitution lies? Enough of the sympathy, let's get to it.

Why should prostitution be legal? Sex is an intimate act between two people that love each other. Of course, every guy is going to have sex on a first date at one point, but just stripping for people and porn really doesn't make much sense. Not only is it illogical to make prostitution legal, it can really whack people's brains up.

Of course, this isn't a great population, but people can really get addicted to porn, and research says that this addiction is more severe than smoking, drinking, and all of that craziness. It can cause marriages to fall apart. You could even get addicted to prostitution, and then you're gonna have to say "good bye" to your chance at relationships until excessive therapy is applied. Think about it. If it's illegal to kill, then how illegal is it to ruin yourself? The government wants you to be safe and sound. They don't want you ending up in the prostitution industry. Would you want to be a stripper? Would you want to be taking shots every single gosh-darn day? Yeah. You probably don't want to, because your penis will look like crap, and then the rest of your life will look like crap.

That is all I have to say. Thank you very much.
Mikal

Pro

My adversary kind of kept this short so I will as well.

Consensual Sex

This is something the government should not be able to regulate the actual act of. In all honesty prostitution happens openly in a majority of relationships. Has your girlfriend ever told you that if you behave good or take her somewhere, you may get a surprise? This by its definition is an act of prostitution. It is a receiving sex for an action that was committed.

Consensual Sex at its core is sex entered into by mutual consent without formalization by document or ceremony[1]

I mean think about it, every time we have sex we are doing it for pleasure. We are having sex with someone in hopes they will satisfy us with pleasure in return. This can even at its core be argued and claimed to be prostitution. The motive for sex is irrelevant as long as both people are consenting.

Regulation on Prostitution itself

While the government has no right to regulate who you have sex with and what you have sex for, they can regulate the business side of it. While most people who are prostitutes are doing so in private, if this were regulated it could help prevent illness such as aids and STDS.

Ever since we can think of prostitution has been around, even in medieval times. The main point of this contention is saying we can not stop it. If it is always going to be in here and is on the line of being legal already by definition, why not just reduce the effects and risks of it?

There would be avenues where people could get tested for STDS and HIVS and be subjected to preventive care. This also reduces the risk of clients receiving STDS and can help stop the spread of some of them at the core.

"These laws [criminalizing acts associated with prostitution], and the way in which they’re enforced, push sex workers into situations that put their health and safety at risk, and leave them open to stigma and discrimination, violence, and possible exposure to HIV." [2] says Glenn Betteridge Senior Analyst for the HIV/AIDS legal network in Canada.

Priscilla Alexander co founder of the National Task force on prostitution says this

"For HIV/AIDS prevention to succeed, the conditions of risk have to change. The context – legal, social, economic – of sex work has to change, with repeal of criminal laws, access to visas and work permits, freedom of movement and association, and occupational safety and health regulations, to reduce the imposition of risk from above. Until then, it will be heroic, strong individuals that can insist on safe behaviors, leaving those who are less heroic, those who are more timid and afraid, to suffer the consequences of the context of risk." [3]

Decrease in Sex Crimes

There is a high possibility that by legalizing prostitution, it will reduce the amount of sexual assaults and crimes that happen. Most people feel the need to be in control whom commit rape and other violent acts, opening up legal prostitution is a way for people whom have a different side to get into activities such as SNM and other types of off the board sexual related intercourse.

Some studies even shown that rape would decrease up to 25 percent or even decrease by 25,000 rapes per year. [4]

Prostitution is an act of sex. Sex is legal by all means and the motivation for sex should not be controlled by the government. By legalizing payment for sex it would help reduces STDS, HIVS, and other illnesses. It would also help reduce sexual crimes such as rape. In essence if two adults are consenting and want to have sex, why they have sex should not be considered a crime.

[1] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
[2] http://www.aidslaw.ca...
[3] http://www.bayswan.org...
[4] http://www.independent.org...

lbj123

Con

You are extremely wishy-washy, along with stating much of the obvious. Allow me to proceed to my rebuttal.

"prostitution happens openly in a majority of relationships." Yeah, in your dreams. Why would any prostitute want to start a relationship with anyone while they have sex, with so many different people? Prostitutes hate their job[1], so how would the be able to get into a romantic mood?

Also, when you say on how people are raping less due to prostitution, I strongly disagree. If you look at your own source, we have the highest rape (and I think homicide) rate among the other countries listed. Heck, most rapers don't even do it for the sex most of the time, but rather for the dominance over others[2].

And finally, who would want to waste their gosh-darn time to get medication for HIV/AIDS in the first place? That's what you get when you're a prostitute. You say that prostitution isn't something that the world must want(or something along those lines), and yet you debate on how prostitution should be passed through the government.

I also want you to know that if we could free the African-Americans form slavery in America, then we could do the same for prostitutes, even though you are accurate on how prostitution has been around since the early thousands.

I am done. Thank you.

[1]:http://freethoughtblogs.com...
[2]:http://www.examiner.com...
Mikal

Pro

There is no much to say Con dropped almost every argument I brought up or responded with something that made no sense at all.

Prostitution happens on a day to day basis

He says

"In your dreams. Why would any prostitute want to start a relationship with anyone while they have sex, with so many different people"

This contention just went flying over his head I think. The act of prostitution as defined above is the act in engaging in sexual activity for payment. I am not saying that prostitutes are in a good many relationships, I am saying that a good many girls commit the act of prostitution with being aware of it. Every time has sex because in return for something this is prostitution. I mean it could be for taking her out to dinner, for buying her something she wanted, even an act of thanking the guy. By its very definition, this happens on a day to day basis. We just admit it see it this way and only focus on people who stand on a street corner and ask for money.

Decrease in Sex Crimes

My adversary says we have the highest rape among countries listed in my source. This is irrelevant to the contention and I fail to see the point of it. This is a non sequitur when we are addressing the decrease of rape. The amount of rape that initially is occurring is irrelevant as long as legalizing prostitution would decrease sexual related crimes.

I will mention this, if anything my adversary hurt his own case. Take most countries that have prostitution legalized and compare it to countries who do not. Most of those countries where it is legal has a significantly lower rape and sexual crime rate than countries where it is illegal. If anything My adversary refuted his own argument on this part. [1]

HIV/AIDS

He does not even respond to this in a relevant manor. He dropped the entire premise behind the argument. The entire premise is how to decrease sexually transmitted disease. While my adversary says that they come from prostitution in a majority of cases, he fails to address the fact that prostitution will always be around.

It would make more sense to lift the ban on it, so that the act itself can be regulated and the prostitutes could actually go in for check up and preventive care. This has been shown by studies to reduce the rate and spread of STDS and HIVS. multiple

Dropped Arguments

He did not even touch on the fact, the government has no right to regulate and control what motive people have sex for.

My adversary did a very poor job of defending his side. We can see that legalizing prostitution would reduce HIV/STD rates, it is perfectly consensual, and it will also reduce sexual related crimes. Even if we compare our sexual crime rate with other countries whom have legalized it prior to us, we can clearly see the difference and how our rape rate is significantly higher.

Prostitution is a consensual act among two or multiple adults. They are having sex, and that much is legal. If they are allowed to have sex, why should we tell them what the reason behind their motive for having sex is allowed to be. It already happens on a day to day basis, we may as well get a handle on it and regulate the actual business itself instead of letting HIV/STDS continue to run rampant.

[1] http://prostitution.procon.org...
lbj123

Con

No round as agreed upon
Posted by lbj123 2 years ago
lbj123
UltimateRussian, Thank you! Someone understands.
Posted by vekoma123 2 years ago
vekoma123
I feel that some of your rules and expectations are not exactly useful or agreeable at all for a debate.
Posted by Mikal 2 years ago
Mikal
I could lay it out normally but I just prefer this way. I saw rational do it and have kept this structure ever since. No real reason why, I just tend to like it more.
Posted by phantom 2 years ago
phantom
What do you mean? Just make the debating begin in round 2. Pro has the burden of proof so it does not seem correct for Con to make the opening case. Plus Con already gets an Elo disadvantage to cancel out his advantage of going last, so this messes with that as well since you'd get both advantages.
Posted by Mikal 2 years ago
Mikal
I always do my debates in this structure. Easier for me to manage with all the ones I have open
Posted by phantom 2 years ago
phantom
Why make Con go first?
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 2 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Mikallbj123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Cons argument were pure pleas to emotion, and all arguments were dropped. For this reason Pro gets argument points. Source points go to Pro, as Pro cited sources while Con cited pros source and a blog. S&G is shared and conduct is shared.
Vote Placed by MysticEgg 2 years ago
MysticEgg
Mikallbj123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct I'm going to give to Pro, due to Con's "wishy-washy" statement. Spelling and grammar were fine. Pro gets the arguments by a long-shot! Con ignored some of Pro's, straw manned more, and resorted to personal incredulity at least once. I'm going to allow Pro the sources, too, because Con's were primarily blog posts. Urgh, blogs...
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
Mikallbj123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pretty straightforward debate. Con does a poor job responding to Pro's contentions, and Con's contentions end up being outweighed, mitigated, or turned completely by the end of the debate. It looks like Con didn't understand the majority of Pro's arguments, and those that he did understand he undercovers or outright dismisses in part. That isn't helped by the fact that most of Con's arguments are baseless assertions, nor that one of his links is a blog post that, at best, is anecdotal evidence to support his case. Pro simply provides the better warrants, evidence, arguments and rebuttal.
Vote Placed by Legitdebater 2 years ago
Legitdebater
Mikallbj123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments go to Pro because Con failed to refute the majority of Pro's arguments. Even then, most of his refutations were irrelevant to the to the resolution i.e. why rapists rape, porn. Also, Con's argument about high rape crimes in the U.S. is a non-sequitur in banning prostitution. As Pro points out, legalizing prostitution is safer for prostitutes. I felt that Pro could have made some better arguments, but his arguments sufficed for this debate.