Arnar
jvava

Prostitution should be legalized

Arnar

Arnar

Pro

The resolution is that prostitution should be legalized. Con will attempt to argue that it should be banned.

Definition of prostitution: The practice of engaging in sexual relations in exchange for money or other objects of monetary value.

Round one is for acceptance only as well as any definitions or clarifications con may wish to present. No new arguments can be presented in the last round.

Good luck con!
jvava

Con

Hello. I am glad to be debating with you.

I stand against prostitution not only because of moral reasoning but also economical. I don't have any words I want to define at this moment - but am I allowed to later on in the debate if such a word arises?

Looking forward to a great debate. May the voters decide who ultimately wins.
Arnar

Pro

Hello jvava and thank you for for accepting this debate. You are of course free to present any relevant definitions you want later on when you present your counterarguments, if necessary.

For an activity to be criminalized it must at the bare minimum infringe upon other peoples rights, either directly (rape, murder, theft, etc.), or indirectly (pollution damaging peoples health for example). I maintain that prostitution involves neither and should therefor not be considered a crime.

My first argument will be the fundamental one dealing with the legality of prostitution. The other two are supporting arguments demonstrating the positive practical benefits of legalizing prostitution.

1. Prostitution is a victimless crime

Given that the prostitute and the buyer are both consenting participants, there is no victim. If there is no victim, then how can there be a crime? Furthermore, the state has no business controlling what adults choose to do with their own bodies, as long as they are not infringing on other peoples rights.

2. Undermining the black market and increasing workplace safety for prostitutes

Today, black markets, i.e. pimps and other criminals, meet the demand for prostitution and these „employers“ tend not to be overly concerned with the safety of their employes. If prostitution were legalized, then the black market would have to compete with legal brothels, which would presumably be regulated by the government. Prostitutes working at these brothels would enjoy the benefit of a much safer working environment and would therefor have a significant incentive to work there instead. Legalizing prostitution would also allow prostitutes to unionize, ensuring that their rights as working men and women would be respected.

3. Decreasing the taxpayers' load

The state spends significant amounts of money combating prostitution. If prostitution were legalized, then the expenditures of the police and justice systems would decrease and the tax revenue would increase.

I look forward to reading con's rebuttals and counterarguments.
jvava

Con

jvava forfeited this round.
Arnar

Pro

I hope all is well with my opponent and that he returns to counter my points in round 3. But for now, extend my arguments.
jvava

Con

jvava forfeited this round.
Arnar

Pro

Since con has forfeited every round there is little to say except that all my arguments stand and the resolution is therefor affirmed.

Arguments go to pro since con rebutted nothing and presented no counterarguments. Conduct goes to pro since con has forfeited every round, except the introductions.

Vote PRO.
jvava

Con

jvava forfeited this round.
Posted by Artpop 3 years ago
Artpop
I am CON too. Good luck, let the best man win.
Posted by FractalFeels 3 years ago
FractalFeels
I would totally join this debate, if i could be pro ;)
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
ArnarjvavaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit, and pro was left unchallenged in his premises.
Vote Placed by Subutai 3 years ago
Subutai
ArnarjvavaTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.