Harboggles
candice

Prostitution.

Harboggles

Pro

Prostitution should by all means be legal, affordable, and regulated by an independent agency.

For 3 reasons.

1.Everyone wants sex, just like drugs, it's worth getting even if it's illegal. Convicting people won't stop them from desiring a basic instinct.

2.Tax it. It will help our economy. We need the income.

3.Regulating it will ensure the safety of women, and stop the spread of STDs.

If you think the federal government has a reason to regulate our right to pay for something (that's completely LEGAL to give away for free) then you are fooling yourself. If you are also content with the idea that people want it to go away, you are still fooling yourself.

People will always want sex, that's why "god" outlaws it. It is a moral code.

But why can we enforce "god's" moral code on all people, even those who do not follow him? People have free will.
candice

Con

<>

So... not only do you want the American government to make prostitution legal for you, they should make it AFFORDABLE? Wow, those are some hefty wishes. My question to you, is WHY should I worry about my government helping YOU(or anyone else for that matter) get sex? All those taxes (which would constantly be under paid, or not paid at all) wouldn't cover this independent government agency that would be formed in every state you suggest. So exactly what would this agency do? Hand out condoms and make sure women aren't being suppressed by they're pimps? This is laughable. What would really happen if you and some other men got they're wish of cheap sex for all, is the sex industry wouldn't all of a sudden become some great and wholesome place for women to work. More prostitutes mean more disease. Don't kid yourself, just because prostitution is legal , has nothing to do with prostitutes not getting disease's then spreading them out in return.

Spreading the sex business would cause MORE crime. Sold sex brings some questionable people to buy it. Also, this brings drug dealers because usually the prostitutes, are drug addicted and abused women. Pimp's will still be in control of these working girls, and there will still be horrible drug abuse, abuse of the women, and sex trafficking. Why make it more accessible for young girls to get sucked into this debauchery of a lifestyle? Even if you think "god" as you call him, isn't real, you must believe that the degradation of a women is real. God, isn't the only reason prostitution should be illegal. These women have mothers, and fathers. They are not just sex toy's to be had and then discarded.These are human beings stuck in a disgusting world! It's a disgusting practice. These women's self esteems are brought down to nothing. Obviously, this matter's not to the people wanting to stick they're penis's in her or his, orifices.

The very distinct difference between selling sex, and having sex is this: women don't want to sell they're bodies for fun. They're selling themselves for money. Money is the root of all evil. It's sad that people sell they're personal self esteem, safety, and lives for money. Making love to your husband or wife is not comparable to prostitution.

Yes, people do indeed have free will. Although, I also have a right not to have shady people in my town doing drugs and selling themselves. All American's have a right to live a safe life. Making prostitution legal would surely dumb down communities and make them less safe, and bring UP UP UP the crime rate.
Harboggles

Pro

No, the affordable part will be made by the free market, supply and demand etc...not the government.

The Agency would be in charge of making sure all sex workers receive STD testing, provide security for workers, and ensure that fair wages are being given. Condoms are a given. Ever since mandatory condom use has been instigated in Nevada brothels not 1 sex worker has caught HIV. (fact)

The sex industry was always a great wholesome place to work, platonic, no feeling sex, and you leave afterwards. No hard feelings. Somehow Nevada, Amsterdam, and Japan function, as well as many other countries.

"More prostitutes mean more disease" I refer you to my previous statement about Nevada brothels, also, with testing and mandatory protection STD's would be a non-issue or very minor. Some people would contract herpes and the such, but the same thing happens with normal sex too. Besides, the workers would be tested monthly (if not weekly) and any diseases caught by them would quickly be treated or they would be taken, "out of circulation"

Pimps are the ones with the business connections who know the men who want the sex. Take out the middle man and there is no "pimp hand" hurting these women. Their brothel would be able to arrange it (or a girl can handle herself, but it's unwise)

How would spreading the sex business cause more crime? I'd buy sex. I'm a college student whom is probably more moral than most people. Questionable people and unquestionable people both want sex. So let's stop punishing unquestionable people. For example, the former gov. of NY. I had no issue with him, his scandal leaked, I still have no issue with him other than the fact that he was hypocritical.

Prostitution is the oldest trade in existence and many of our world leaders have participated, many men wiser than I have participated (a simple google search of famous people using prostitutes would confirm). The only reason you assign the title of "questionable" is because it is in your mind an immoral thing to do and that someone is a BAD person for wanting sex.

If you legalize something illegal, you create a legal market. Most people don't find it very safe having sex with hookers who have no protection, look like skanks, and entail a jail sentence.

Make it legal and entrepreneurs will create clean safe environments for sex workers and their clients. This is indisputable.

Drugs and prostituites are a common pair, because they're both illegal for the wrong reasons and shouldn't be illegal. Because hookers are FORCED to associate with people who break the law, drugs become involved. It would be easy to have a strict NO DRUG policy for any brothel on pain of being thrown out. If people want druggie hookers then they can find them outside of the brothel. No one SEEKS hookers that are into drugs, but because of the lifestyle they live they are forced into the drug underworld.

"Pimp's will still be in control of these working girls, and there will still be horrible drug abuse, abuse of the women, and sex trafficking."

No there won't. I've made it very clear how it WONT happen. The only sex trafficking that will happen if prostitution will be that of illegal sex workers. There's only one category left. Children. There's already a child sex trade, I hate it. I find it disgusting. No child under the age of consent should be having sex with anyone older than law permits them to have sex (if your state allows 16 and 20 year olds to have sex, then prostitution is fine with me)

Pimps will be replaced by managers of brothels. Drugs into the brothels will be barred (and regulated and tested for, it could even be a requirement of employment at a brothel)

Women enjoy sex just as much as men. It's just more of a taboo for women to like it because of the anglo saxon concept of a "whore". Before the 10 commandments and the take over of Christianity in the Western World prostitution was common place and prostitutes were called upon often. Examine the first tablet of the Epic of Gilgamesh. Ishtar, a prostitute, is used to culture Enkidu. She is not made fun of, depicted as immoral, or killed for her ...skills.

Let's examine the word, "degradation", defined by the dictionary as, "The state of being reduced in rank, character, or reputation"

They are only degraded in your eyes. To most, they are indifferent. I don't care if a girl gets paid for sex. Hell I love it. The point being that "degrading" women is a very subjective point of view. Further, what about the degradation of men? Male prostitutes are also in high demand, women travel to Eastern Europe just for the sex all the time..

Greed is the root of all evil. You won't get rich being a prostitute. I have no idea why anyone would choose this lifestyle to get rich. The only ones that get rich are the ones that would be high class hookers that serve the elite of our country, and even then, they wouldn't be bill gates rich.

If you really believed that money is the root of all evil you would donate your savings to charity. Right now. All of it. You don't need it because it's evil right? You only need what you need.

"Women don't want to sell their bodies for sex." Then why are Nevada brothels FILLED with women. Why do many high class hookers have college degrees? It's a fun activity and if you can get paid for it...why not?

"Making love to your husband or wife is not comparable to prostitution."

In a country where divorce is fiftysomething percent, do you really think that argument is valid? Marriage is an institution of love and financial security coupled with the idea of passing on genes to carry on your name and genetics.

Sex. Is pleasure. Pure pleasure. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Making love and having sex are completely different concepts.

"dumb down communities"

sounds like you've been having too much sex sweetheart.

There is no link between amount of sex and intelligence. ANYWHERE. I have an IQ of 130 and I love sex. I take it everywhere I can, from those I'm attracted to.

I've refuted every single one of your arguments with logic and without hard fact I might add. There is plenty of hard fact to support my claims. Google around.

Your move.
candice

Con

<>

So, this would be so important for the American government to spend millions of dollars on? How about our school systems or ANYTHING else for that matter that would actually HELP our country. What about the independent street prostitutes? There would be so many undocumented sex selling vagrants wondering about the streets, it would be impossible to keep up. Not only that, but what about sex trafficking, underage prostitution and abuse of these working girls? There would be a mentality of, Well, it's legal, so we're really not going to pay very much attention to it. We're talking about legalizing a horrible lifestyle of drug use, neglected children, abuse, and depression.

<>

There are prostitutes right now having sex with nasty men breathing , and sweating all over them that they find repulsive right now. They don't like it. They are doing it for money. Why? They are probably lower class, uneducated women that got pulled into a world that they cannot escape. It's all fun for the person getting the sex, I'm sure. This is not an industry that you go in, punch your time card, work, go home, and bake a cake. There's an ugliness that your choosing to ignore. Women and men are not toy's to be used.

<>

Out of circulation? These are human beings we're talking about, not cattle. These women deserve better than to be in some kind of sick, sexual circulation. Having a whore house in my town is not an option. Please, don't try to deceive people into thinking that all the problems of this industry will simply disappear with legalization. It would make the related crimes soar. Which leads me to my next point…

<>

As I said before, with prostitution comes abuse(mental and physical), sex trafficking, drug abuse, which in turn attracts drug dealers, which bring crimes such as burglary, murder, kidnapping, you name it. Not to mention, legalizing prostitution would allow innocent children to live seeing they're mother's sell herself for money. This, could possibly lead to child abuse, and rape.

<>

OH, famous people you say? What does that have to do with ANYTHING? Just because your known, doesn't mean your allowed to set the standard for reasonable conduct. Plus, if you were able to ask those people if they were PROUD of the fact they solicited sex, what do you think they would say?

<>

Never, have I said you are bad for wanting sex. What I think is bad, is the exploitation of women for it. This should not be legalized.

<>

So, you just said it yourself. A derogatory comment towards prostitutes. Do you think making this practice legal, it will change the ideals we have about prostitution in this country? Please, don't fancy that all of a sudden beautiful women will decide they want men to be able to pay to fornicate with them. Classy ladies won't all of a sudden take the place of these "skanks" as you so lovingly call them. That term just proves that everyone looks down on these girls.

<>

There is absolutely NO WAY to insure this, and frankly the money spent to try would be a waste, and should go to something FAR more important. Such as schools, firemen, or… anything else.

<>

They're illegal because they're wrong. They ruin peoples lives, and towns. They're both disgusting and should not be tolerated by our government. My children surely will not be exposed to such filth.

<>

Please excuse me for not caring in the LEAST if you can find a clean hooker. This is laughable, and is handled by the government now as it should. It's illegal.

<>

It WILL happen, and it will happen often. This would open the flood gates to dark and , disgusting practices. Yes, there is a child sex trade. It's perverted people buying sex that keep it fueled. Why allow this perverted world to grow and flourish in the United States? We are far to advanced a nation to take such a step back.

<>

Please don't try to bastardize my words. The greed, and need for money is evil. My husband and I raising our family is not. Your grasping…

<>

Umm… let's not talk about my personal sex life, thanks. Have some couth.

<>

We're not talking about people being stupid for having sex. We're talking about the legalization of a degrading lifestyle. Oh, a high class hooker has a college degree? How many women are stuck in a brothel as a sexual slave right now? Making prostitution legal wouldn't fix this. It would make it easier to cover up.

Yes, Google. I'm talking about real life. Not ask jeeves. Women being disrespected, and USED, and America allowing it. People don't want brothels in they're towns. I'm sorry your not having enough sex. Please, take a minute to think of all the lives that this lifestyle hurts. There's a bigger picture here. If you cover an old house with paint, it's still an old house. Meaning, you can make prostituion legal, but it will still be a disgusting world that women are abused in. Whatever spin you want to put on it, it will never be good, or right.
Harboggles

Pro

I will label each argument I'm referring to by your quotes of me by 1. 2. 3. etc..
(in order)

1.I said an independent agency. Not a federal. A federal law would establish the need for one, and I'm positive someone like Hugh Heffner would immediate jump on that to fund it.

The underage prostitution. I hate it. Nothing we can do about it that isn't already being done.

By making prostitution into a company, we create accountability, a system for complaints, and abuse disappear. I have never heard of a prostitute abuse case from Amsterdam or Nevada. Pimps are created because it's ILLEGAL if you take away the illegality then the pimps disappear. Industrialize the industry of sex and you make it clean and sparkly.

"life style of drug use, neglected children, abuse, depression"

I already sufficiently proved you wrong in the department of drug use, abuse, and neglected children (condoms). Depression? Sex releases all of the Endorphins in the body and makes you anything BUT depressed. Further, turning "prostitution into a a company means that there are support groups for the one in a million shots that someone will be depressed. Street walking hookers are depressed because they get abused by their pimp (which would disappear with legalization) and because they don't make much money. Street walkers don't choose that lifestyle, but prostitution itself is not bad and many choose it if it can be done with class.

2.Ok. So what? Your husband is probably a, "nasty man breathing, sweating" all over you...

The point being that legalized prostitutes would enter that profession willingly and be able to get out willingly.

Let's compare this to a masseuse. Do you think they want to be rubbing a million people's backs? All of their skin etc etc. No matter what that person looks like they have to touch them in some very intimate places. Should they stop working?

Also, don't characterize men who can't get sex the normal way as nasty. You are a terrible person for saying such a thing and it's not an objective way of looking at it.

3.Are you worried about hurt feelings or preventing 500 people from contracting an STD. Priorities lady.

4.All of those things that you say it pros. entails...would dissapear. If you make something illegal, the people who want it and need it who associate with it are going to do illegal things.

For example, a good quote I like to quote about another issue, but very similar in concept.

"If you criminalize guns, only the criminals have them." Making Pros. legal removes hookers from that illegal industry of drugs and abuse.

5. When I say famous people, I say people of note in history. It's been a longtime tradition to use hookers and it only became immoral in recent history, but you wouldn't know that because you didn't read my whole post.

The Romans had nightly orgies. Hookers were commonplace. They were one of the smartest most intelligent societies on the planet. Prostitution was not a problem in their city, it was a release. Their issue was over expansion over time.

Here also is an article about Greece...http://en.wikipedia.org...

6.The exploitation would end as soon as you remove the pimps and regulate everything like a corporation. A business.

7.I have no idea what you're talking about. If I were to use a hooker legally I would want to be able to meet her, make clear want I want in a friendly environment without an angry pimp staring at me waiting for me to finish so he can make more money. Then I would want to be taken to a clean room, not a raunchy motel. I'm not the only one that thinks like this. Look at the Redlight district in Amsterdam where it is legal and brothels are very clean and run like a business.

8.Your point was that prostitutes attract drugs. If you remove them from the parts of the world that have heavy drug use and put them in clean brothels off the street and don't allow drugs...they would go away.

9.Yes it will happen. Forever. As long as there is a market. I hate it. We agree on this.

10. Don't try to weasel your way out of your words. The concept is there.

11. You said sex dumbs you down. Logically, you and I are both idiots.

12. It's only degrading to you and your fellow pros. haters. The rest of the world who likes it doesn't seem to agree. Degrading is a subjective term, I already went over this, but you ignored it.

13. The lifestyle hurts people because of the state it's in. If you remove it from the streets and take it inside and make it a business with clients and accountability (and the possibility of moving around to other brothels and therefore creating competition)

You've lost this argument. All of your arguments are subjective relating to YOUR values. YOUR children. and YOUR life.

It is not the role of the federal government to dictate how I get my sex, or god, or anyone.

Non interventionism.

I can't believe I wrote all this out. Look at amsterdam. They have very happy well paid hookers who enjoy what they do and very happy clients. They don't have drug addicts, pimps, hookers wandering the streets....

QED.
candice

Con

<<1.I said an independent agency. Not a federal. A federal law would establish the need for one, and I'm positive someone like Hugh Heffner would immediate jump on that to fund it. >>
Depending on independent funding? Who's to say that there will independent wealth dropped into this meaningless cause? There are FAR more important things that the wealthy could contribute to. Such as children dying of hunger. What an empty and trite thing to waste money on, that could otherwise be helping something important. So, there would be huge prostitution rallies to raise money? Give me a break. There's a big HUGE hole in this plan. The hole being, the money that wouldn't come to help your cause. Hugh Hefner (if he does indeed support prostitution) won't be alive forever, and believe it or not there are not thousands of people to empty they're pockets for the cause of prostitution. Perhaps men wanting to spend money on sex, not people wanting to spend money for the sex of others. Very unrealistic.
<>
Yes, it is indeed disgusting, and deplorable. We can make sure not to take steps to make it a reasonable practice. Legalizing prostitution would surely take heat off of such debauchery, and make it more easily over looked. Let's not as American's make it easier for women to be controlled and used. Especially our young girls.
<>
As I said previously, making prostitution legal does not make all of the negative aspects disappear. There will still be abuse, unsafe and in no way clean or sparkly. The use of American women for sex toys will never be "sparkly" I doubt if YOUR daughter was the once men were paying to use for nasty sex fantasies you would use the word clean, or sparkly.
<>
You can sell your body for money with class. You might be pretty, and charge a lot of money but it will never be classy. Women demeaning themselves to have someone they don't care for have sex with them is psychologically damaging. No professional Psychologist would say that it is in anyway healthy for a woman's mental stability. Even if a woman say's she's satisfied with being a hooker, she must look at herself in the mirror and be ashamed. Deep down inside of the choices she has made, and the impact she could have on the world, and passed by. This is not the life that promising American women should lead. We are worth far more than being sex objects. Endorsing American women as sex toys shouldn't be an objective of the American government.
<>
My personal sex life is not up for discussion. Although, having an unknown man, and your lifelong lover is completely different. My husband is the love of my life, not some indifferent passer by paying me for lust. By the by… my husband is a U.S. Marine, and is very handsome, indeed.
<>
That's the thing, easy money is just that… easy money. Why go to work if you can make $1000 a guy? Just like selling drugs, it's not right… but easier than working at McDonald's to support your family. It's an addictive life style. Money is addictive. It's sad that someone would degrade themselves for drugs, or money. Sadly, this happens every day. Should this be endorsed by the American Government? Certainly Not!
<<3.Are you worried about hurt feelings or preventing 500 people from contracting an STD. Priorities lady.>>
I am afraid sir, for the degradation of my gender. I am afraid for all the respect women have gained to be dissolved by this back step of character, and couth. I am afraid that women will not always follow these rules you think will ALWAYS be followed. Disease will continue, and thinking otherwise is ridiculous.
<>
This statement is utterly, and totally wrong. With legal drug abuse, there would still be crime. Robbery, murder, and everything that goes along with it. The type of women
wanting to sell themselves for money would continue to be the same. They would still do drugs, still be abused, and still be stuck in a nasty world. Please don't ignore the nastiness of this lifestyle. Legalization would not take the pain and belittlement from they're lives. We must think of these women as our own daughters! Daughter's of America we demand to have respect.
<<5. When I say famous people, I say people of note in history. It's been a longtime tradition to use hookers and it only became immoral in recent history, but you wouldn't know that because you didn't read my whole post>>
Slavery was a long a longtime tradition practiced by people of historical importance as well, does that make it just? I don't support hookers in any era. It's always been a degrading and wrong practice, and always will be.
<>
Yes, the Romans made many astrological, and mathematical discoveries. They also watched people killed for fun, legally raped women and boys, pillaged, burned, and conquered towns, cities, and countries; brutally killing countless innocents. Is it just me, of is America slightly more advanced? Yes… I would say that America should be put in a categories above ancient Rome on the Advance-ometer.
<<6.The exploitation would end as soon as you remove the pimps and regulate everything like a corporation. A business. >>
The exploitation would end, when men stop viewing women of pieces of meat to be had for sex.
<>
How egotistical can you be? I'm sorry the current system doesn't allow YOU to have the best sexual experience. Perhaps, that's because this is NOT the way things she gone about. It shouldn't be the job of the United States government to insure you get sex. They're job is to ensure safety, and security. If you want to have a safe job, don't be a prostitute. Get out of that lifestyle, and do something to better your community.
<>
Over and over you've referenced other countries. We, are in America. Not Amsterdam. We do not endorse drug use, or prostitution. We are an intelligent and moral nation.
<<8.Your point was that prostitutes attract drugs. If you remove them from the parts of the world that have heavy drug use and put them in clean brothels off the street and don't allow drugs...they would go away.>>
Yes, move the brothels to the NICE parts of cities. What a great idea! Perhaps next to a church, or school. This inane notion of yours is ludicrous. C
Posted by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
One does not have to reply to every argument.
Ignore the petty ones.

We legalised prostitution here in New Zealand five or so years ago.
I didn't think it would be a good idea.
Now that it has happened, I can't say that I've noticed any change, but then, I've never had anything to do with prostitution.
I've read in the paper that the prostitutes think things are better, though they don't much like being taxed.

The good things are:
a) that it is now much easier to protect the health of prostitutes - they are able to be open about what they do and are actively encouraged to visit sexual health clinics
b) police have more time for crime that affects people more
c) the numbers haven't changed (according to the figures I've heard)
d) prostitutes, (like doctors and dentists) not being allowed to advertise, remain discreet
e) the prostitutes can now go to the police, and so suffer much less from various forms of blackmail and presumably, rape.
f) people who are unable to find a partner to have sex with (in some way very unattractive) now need not have that part of their lives empty.
g) it remains illegal for other people to live off one's sex-work earnings (no pimps or madams)

All in all, it seems to have only done good for the country.

Having said this, I really don't think prostitution is a good idea.
Families are extremely important to society, and the purpose of sex is to help hold the parents of families together. Sex outside marriage will weaken the benefit to married couples.
While it might be better if it didn't happen, we must make do with reality.
Posted by Ylareina 8 years ago
Ylareina
There is a premise in this debate, in Candice's case, that to legalize something is to morally legitimize it.

This isn't necessarily the case. There are many things that are legal that aren't moral. They are simply regulated.

I might not agree with alcohol sales, and people drinking to excess, but it is not illegal. It's regulated.

Prostitution is degrading whether regulated or not.
Posted by candice 8 years ago
candice
*Sorry my argument is so squished... my opponent wrote SO MUCH I had trouble retorting to everything. Read this one after the one below... confusing... sorry.*
No sir, you are ignoring that I LOVE people, and see the best in everyone. I see more to be had out of women than to be someone's sexual play thing. These are women we're speaking of, people's daughters and mothers! Daughter's of America, we must demand have respect becoming to the women of such a great nation such as ours. The hate and ignorance comes from those trying to keep these women down. I see such potential of life. You see a mere trifle for physical gratification. It is you ignoring something, my friend.
<<You've lost this argument. All of your arguments are subjective relating to YOUR values. YOUR children. and YOUR life. >>
No, I have won this argument. You have not beyond a doubt proven that prostitution would be fixed of all it's problems upon legalization. I have shown the definite failure of safe, and "clean" prostitution. I have always proven that this in no way will HELP the American community. I also have proved this to be a petty thing to spend tax payers money on. People getting affordable, and legal sex should not
Posted by candice 8 years ago
candice
Clean hookers are a dream or yours that will never come true. A girl that sells herself, is just that. However pretty and expensive. She should not demean herself to cater to your sexual urges.
<< 9.Yes it will happen. Forever. As long as there is a market. I hate it. We agree on this.>>
So, this is basically pro agreeing with my argument. Do I need to say anything else?
<<You said sex dumbs you down. Logically, you and I are both idiots.>>
I said prostitution dumbs down communities. Simply: sleazy practice, attracts sleazy people. I wasn't referring to sex, which obviously you like to contemplate quiet often. I was referring to the selling of sex, attracting crime. No police officer would tell you this would bring otherwise.
<<12. It's only degrading to you and your fellow pros. haters. The rest of the world who likes it doesn't seem to agree. Degrading is a subjective term, I already went over this, but you ignored it. >>
Posted by JOEYMER21 8 years ago
JOEYMER21
Candice you are a fool, prostitutes on street corners and their pimps are a by product of its criminalisation. Just like drug dealers and drug crimes take away their ability to make money from it and they will begin to disappear.
the fact that women are still selling themselves on street corners and still being abused means the laws currently in place dont work. LEGALISE REGULATE AND TAXATE
Posted by smith76 8 years ago
smith76
What is the difference between prostitution and paying porn stars to have sex on camera? Besides one is legal and the other is not.
Vote Placed by mo-yahoo 8 years ago
mo-yahoo
HarbogglescandiceTied
Vote Placed by ecstatica 8 years ago
ecstatica
HarbogglescandiceTied
Vote Placed by nater 8 years ago
nater
HarbogglescandiceTied
Vote Placed by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
HarbogglescandiceTied
Vote Placed by independent 8 years ago
independent
HarbogglescandiceTied
Vote Placed by jazzyfizzle 8 years ago
jazzyfizzle
HarbogglescandiceTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 8 years ago
kels1123
HarbogglescandiceTied
Vote Placed by Kane 8 years ago
Kane
HarbogglescandiceTied
Vote Placed by PreacherFred 8 years ago
PreacherFred
HarbogglescandiceTied
Vote Placed by sccrplyr40 8 years ago
sccrplyr40
HarbogglescandiceTied