Protecting your own body is a responsibility, not a right.

Resolution: Protecting your own body is a responsibility, not a right.
My opponent will argue that protecting your own body is a right and not a responsibility.

First round for acceptance only.

Rather informal definitions:
Responsibility: Something we are obliged by our identity or position to do
Right: An power that is endowed upon us by our identity or position
Protecting your body: Ensuring the well-being and safety of your body

I will start off by saying I agree with you. But I'd like to test my debate skills on this topic. I accept.

I thank my opponent for accepting the debate. I will now begin to explain my position.

1) Protecting your body is a responsibility towards your parents.
'Our bodies - to every hair and bit of skin - are received by us from our parents, and we must not presume to injure or wound them. This is the beginning of filial piety.' (Book of Filial Piety 1.1) Biologically, your body was given to you by your parents, who gave birth to you. Thus you do not have the right to allow it to be harmed.

Moreover, as your parents (whether biological or adoptive) fed and nurtured you as you grew up, you have a responsibility to pay back by seeing that their efforts to raise you were not in vain.

Finally, 'Parents are anxious lest their children should be sick.' (Analects 2.6) All parents are worried about the health of their children. ' (Analects 2.6) To carry out your filial duty, you must minimise your parents' worries. This includes protecting your body.

2) Protecting your body is a responsibility towards your children.
Parents have the responsibility to feed, nurture, and educate their children. If you allow you body to be harmed, then you are may be unable to yield these responsibilities. For example, if you smoke and drink heavily, you will experience more illnesses, or even face an early death. Such events will impede your ability to raise your children properly by spending time with them, disciplining them, teaching them, etc. This is, in turn, also a violation of your filial duties towards your ancestors and parents since you are directly depriving their descendants of a healthy life.

In addition, parents have the responsibility to teach by doing. This includes teaching children to protect their own body.

3) Protecting your body is a responsibility towards your siblings and cousins, spouse, friends, etc.
Your loved ones will worry greatly about you lest your body should be harmed. They will feel great sorrow if you go through pain and suffering. Therefore, to prevent them from worrying about you, it is a responsibility towards your siblings and cousins, spouse, friends, etc.

Moreover, if you harm your body, you may be unable to perform certain duties towards your siblings, friends, etc. For example, you will no longer be able to spend quality time with your spouse if you lie in a hospital all day.

4) Protecting your body is a responsibility towards society.
Firstly, if you fail to protect your body, then you are having a negative influence on society's values, customs and habits. Every man and woman has the responsibility to uphold proper values and protect the fundamental values of modern society. As Gu Yanwu wrote (my own rough translation), 'Changing the last name of the ruling class and changing the name of the state is the annihilation of the state; blocking the paths of benevolence and righteousness, leading beasts to devour men and men eating each other - this is the annihilation of all things below the heavens... Monarchs and their advisors protect the country; as for protecting all things below the heavens, even comments peasants have the responsibility!'

Secondly, citizens have a responsibility to contribute to the prosperity of the stability of the country. If you fail to protect your body, you will take sick leaves or even have to stay in hospital for a long time. The labour supply of your economy will decrease, lowering the output level of the country and impairing its economic performance. You will also be unable to fulfill other duties towards the community, such as serving the community by engaging in volunteer work. Society will also have to waste resources to treat your illness.

Ugh. Should never have accepted this. I thought it would be arguable. It isn't. I hereby forfeit.

So ends our debate, I guess. I thank my opponent for accepting the debate. Vote Pro!

So it will stop telling me I have debate arguments due.

OK, same here. Also, vote Pro!

Alright. To end it. Vote Pro!
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 2 years ago
Clarified, thanks.
Posted by Teemo 2 years ago
I believe he means health wise, and spiritually. Clarification would be of use however.
Posted by Carthage 2 years ago
Like, protecting our body from other people? From drugs? STDs? Please specify.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF from con