Protestantism is heresy.

I think Protestantism contains many heresies making it heresy. [0][1][2] Impact, Protestantism is heresy.

I don"t know where you are coming from. Are you catholic? Or another non-protestant denomination? Also, specifically what protestant denomination are you referring to, there are many. What time are you referring to? Protestants have had a long history. They go back all the way to breaking out of the Catholic Church. Protestantism then was fine, and not heretical. Now it seems that the majority of Protestants are heretical. But to be honest, the Catholic Church, far more than the protestant movement, is the most heretical thing ever done with Christianity. The Protestant movement was begun when Luther began to secretly read the bible, a deed prohibited by a man of his status in that day. Protestants have a history of Godliness, but today many are a joke. Methodists, and Lutherans I would say were the ones who held out the Longest, but they too have become corrupt.

Protestantism is wrecked by emotion. People are always saying, "I feel." Authority comes directly from God"s word, not experience, or ecclesia, or ex cathedra for that matter. People get riled up and start "speaking in tongues." Speaking in tongues was done away with in the book of acts, and it is not what they think it is. Speaking in tongues is the ability to speaking the Gospel to an unbeliever in their native tongues, even if you didn"t speak their language. It wasn"t senseless babble that gives them revelation.

Then we have the music, and worship taking over the services instead of preaching. This is because they are emotion driven, not spirit driven. Their Christianity lives in the moment. A true Christian will tell you a decision made on emotion will never last, but one made on God"s word will.

Calvinism is another protestant movement that says God has already picked who is going to heaven, and who is not. Therefore witnessing is not needed. There is a plethora of ways to discredit this.
So yes, many protestant churches are heretical. But if we look at the movement in its beginning we find they separated from the Catholic Church for good reason. The heresy of the Catholic Church had gone too far. Allow me to outline catholic heresy.

1) Their origin
Catholicism was started by Constantine of Rome. He had some crazy vision about conquering with it. So he decided to take Christianity as it was in the day, and merge it with their own pagan religion. Thus we see certain pagan symbolism in the Catholic Church such as the Pope"s fish hat, a representation of a pagan deity. So the Catholic Church has its roots in paganism. That"s a problem.

2) Ex Cathedra
This, like most catholic doctrine have the same argument pending against it. It"s not biblical. Nowhere does the bible ever even allude to it, it"s not real. Or course this has led to even more heresy. Pope Francis says the Koran, and the Bible are the same. That is heresy. Pope Francis says Jesus" life ended in failure. He should be worried that God does not strike him dead for saying that. Ex Cathedra is not biblical, and even having a pope is not biblical.

3) Praying for Saints to intercede for you, and praying to saints.
Deuteronomy 18:11 tells us praying to the dead is a sin. Peter is dead, along with saint whoever. You guys pray to so many saints. In reality they are enjoying their time in heaven with the Lord, and probably have no idea you are praying to them.

4) Confessions
Again there is no verse in the bible that says you need to confess your sins to any man. There is a verse that says you must confess it to God. But confessions are not biblical.

5) Infant Baptism
Baptist is just showing people you have given your life to the Lord, and are now saved. A baby cannot comprehend baptism, much less salvation. Besides, baptism is strictly submersion, not sprinkling.

At any rate I could go on and on. Catholics are the only ones amongst many denomination of people who believe God to literally get almost every aspect of their doctrine wrong.
Is Protestantism heretical? Maybe today. But there was a time that it led in Godliness, and sound doctrine.

I think today it is incriminating to claim Protestantism, or Catholicism. I would just call myself a Bible Believer, But the denomination I line up with the most is Baptist, which happens to be neither catholic, or protestant. :)

"Now it seems that the majority of Protestants are heretical." Spacebarman97

My opponent admits I am correct. Thanks for the short debate.

I did not say you are correct. Protestants were called that because they protested the Catholic church. So back when they were called protestants for a good reason, they were not heretics. You didn't specify which time, so i choose one. The reformation is what they are best known for, and they were not heretics then. I'm guessing you are catholic. So lets look at when a protestant meant most to a catholic. The protestant movement is a Godly one. I'm just saying that many people under that movement have become liberal. But the movement in itself, as a statement to defy Catholicism is very correct. Not heretical.

I re-read your r1 argument. I don't see what the Catholicism's heresy have to do with Protestantism's heresy. Both are heresy the way I see it. I meant in today's world that Protestantism is heresy. I'm not talking about the past. I should have made that more clear in r1. I am very present originated, I sometimes forget the past even exists.

I could research a bunch more and make a counter argument, but I will concede that Protestantism was at one point in time not heresy. Yet, you reinforce my original idea that Protestantism is heresy, implying that today Protestantism is heresy. Thanks for the debate was interesting. Had no idea that a Pope of the past wore a fish hat symbolizing a pagan God. Good debate.

Red herring below, should have no impact on debate.

Off topic, I don't see praying to a saint as a violation of Deuteronomy 18:11. As for my personal beliefs, I don't put much stock in belief. Instead, I put stock in knowledge and searching for the truth, whatever that is.

" 9“When you enter the land which the LORD your God gives you, you shall not learn to imitate the detestable things of those nations. 10“There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12“For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you. 13“You shall be blameless before the LORD your God. 14“For those nations, which you shall dispossess, listen to those who practice witchcraft and to diviners, but as for you, the LORD your God has not allowed you to do so."

I don't see praying to the dead as casting a spell of any kind. Personally, I never pray to any entity other than God or Jesus Christ. Ever since reading about Satan's rebellion, I fear praying to any person regarded as a saint, simply because that person may not be a saint. You wouldn't pray to Jack the Ripper would you? Well how do you know that saint x is really a saint and not an evil villain?

I was talking about Catholicism because i wanted to outline just a few points on why Protestantism was formed. I should have made my main point more clear. Protestantism is not heresy. I was trying to get across that people who call themselves protestants, these self proclaimed sub units of the entire movement are involved in heresy. But when you look at what the movement is, what it represents, it represents separation from the catholic church, not a new set of doctrines. The objective of the protestant movement was completed, and rightfully so. There is no council, or president of the Protestant movement. Each denomination under the movement acts independent of each other. So in contrast to the southern baptist movement churches, who all move dependent on the Southern Baptist Convention, all protestant churches are either independent, or dependent upon their own authority. An example of this is the Jehovah Witnesses do whatever the watchtower tells them to. They think it's the holy spirit. So Protestantism is not heresy, People who are heretics have taken the name, but they are not actually protesting anything. In fact many "protestant" churches think that its ok to attend any church including the catholic church (which is a debate in itself). But if you strip the movement down it is core belief, and meaning, it is not heresy. I can say a bunch of non sense about the bible, then claim I'm a protestant. Does that make Protestantism heresy? no that makes me a heretic.
Posted by Stupidape 2 months ago
"What is the source of authority? Scripture? Ecclesia? Personal experience?"

Heard the term thrown around so I decided to make a debate about it. I figure a debate is the best way to verify information is authenticate.
Posted by dsjpk5 2 months ago
Posting links alone is not an argument... And I agree with you!
Posted by creationtruth 2 months ago
What is the source of authority? Scripture? Ecclesia? Personal experience?