thegreatdebaters
WhiteWolf

Ps3 is a better system than Xbox360

thegreatdebaters

Pro

have read in many places opinions of many people that disliked the PS3 or liked the PS3 with a certain bias. I will certainly not deny that my post will be somewhat biased

in itself. However, I will try my best to be as objective as possible in this delicate subject. Also, if you find that some of my info are incorrect, feel free to call me an idiot and correct me.

The PS3 has caused quite a stirring over the past 2 years: from a general excitement to astonishment to disappointment. How did this happen? Let's look at what Sony did right, and what they did wrong, and every shades of gray in between.

Pros:
1. Cell- 8 cores, 7 active, 1 for redundancy. Why is this good? This is excellent for the consumers. It solves a lot of defects, reducing complaints and defective systems. Sony learned something from their PS2 fiasco. But aside from its ability to warrant from damage, the Cell processor is a dedicated processor especially designed for gaming. How? Because of its 7 core architecture, Cell allows developers to designate each core to a specific task. This allow multitasking at its peak. What does this mean to games? More sparks, more people, more physics, better AI, more particles, more of everything at the same time on the same HD TV. The Cell processor undoubted sets the PS3 a bar ahead of all other consoles.

2. Blue-Ray Disk- 52 gig of space to use. No matter how you look at it, bigger space is better. More room for developers to fill. Better graphics, sounds, physics, AI, longer games, more modes, more maps, everything. A $1000 value, now yours for only $600. Play movies at high definition, games at high def. BR is very important to gaming. With a new leap in generation, came a new leap in media. Sony had always shown this: PS-CD, PS2-DVD, PS3-BD. This technology removes the limit that developers get when making a game.
WhiteWolf

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for making this short but, sweet debate.

Rebuttal one- The cell processor is supposed to be the Mecca of all CPU's. This has been proven not to be true though. The PS3 is not the more powerful system. There is just one, Cell Processor, and the Blue-Ray has long loading times, while it has more space on the disk, it still loads slower than regular DLDVD format disks. This is one of the reasons a game must install to the hard drive. Now onto graphic processing. The cell processor is supposed to blow Xbox's powerhouse tri-core processor out of the water in this area. Not even supposed to be close after all of that cell processor hype. Actually, once again this is not true. Here is Jason Booths commentary on this matter.

"The fill rate on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, meaning that games either have to run at lower resolution or use simpler shader effects to achieve the same performance, Additionally, the shader processing on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, which means that a normal map takes more fill rate to draw on the PS3 than it does on the 360. And I'm not talking about small differences here, we're talking roughly half the pixel pushing power"
(See the graphs I post in the bottom for my sources to see this)

One of the most important parts in a game system or CPU is the general processing power. "Well the cell has to kill that thing called 360 in that!" No... The cell has actually only ONE general purpose core while the 360 has THREE.

The only point that the Cell processors beats the Xbox360 is streaming floating-point power. Which really means that there is just power floating around not really making anything work faster like the loading times,blue ray, Internet, and downloads.

2- I would like to point that the PS3 is now around 200-400 depending on which on you get not 600. :)
I would like to say I personally own an Xbox360 and a PS3 and when I watch a movie on my PS3 most of the time its horrible. Its like an online stream almost. In an action film its choppy the whole time and always freezing up and skipping. Also, the Xbox360 has high definition and we have already gone through how the graphics are almost similar.

My arguments: Online
You just can't beat live. I never ever have problems with Xbox Live. It never lags and it seems like i'm playing campaign mode without Internet connected to it. My PS3 though sometimes its great. I am like "Yeah head shot! Oh wait... It's not freezing. (Five minutes later) Why is this still frozen?" Dialogue from my experiences.

Games: No comparison. I will just list some of the Xbox360 exclusive games

Halo 1-4
Gears of War
Mass Effect
Fable
Prey
Left For Dead
So much more can be listed.

Conclusion: (or spark notes)
The Xbox 360 CPU architecture has three times the general purpose processing power of the Cell.
The Xbox 360 GPU design is more flexible and it has more processing power than the PS3 GPU.
The memory system bandwidth in Xbox 360 exceeds the PS3's by five times.
Better online
More prestigious exclusive games.

I would like to thank my opponent for a fun debate.

Graphs:
http://i84.photobucket.com...
http://i84.photobucket.com...
http://i84.photobucket.com...
Posted by LiquidLiquid 6 years ago
LiquidLiquid
All video game systems are good, but those with the dough to put into a powerful computer seriously win.
Posted by BlitzPenguin 6 years ago
BlitzPenguin
Just saying, WhiteWolf, your grammar/spelling is atrocious. Though you made some good points, including emoticons in your contentions doesn't make you look very professional. Also, quoting yourself talking to yourself sounds weird. Otherwise, nice job, your exclusive games argument was convincing for people (like myself) who know those various games, but a good way to back that up for noobs would be to include reviews from IGN, Metacritic, etc..

thegreatdebaters, very good points, but don't forget to include other arguments that people who may not know hardware terminology can relate to; for instance, the fact that the Sony PS3, unlike Microsoft's XBOX 360, is not known for cheap production and overheating; the fact that it too, has critically acclaimed exclusive games; the fact that online play is free, if not as high quality as XBOX Live; etc..

This is an excellent topic.
Posted by thegreatdebaters 6 years ago
thegreatdebaters
ok thanks for the advise
Posted by Mirza 6 years ago
Mirza
thegreatdebaters,

I would advise you to set at least two rounds, otherwise your opponent might win easily. You should rebut his points, too.
Posted by thegreatdebaters 6 years ago
thegreatdebaters
then join this debate
Posted by THE_OPINIONATOR 6 years ago
THE_OPINIONATOR
most people i know perfer the 360 over the ps3, but the 360 has the better online network
Vote Placed by Elmakai 6 years ago
Elmakai
thegreatdebatersWhiteWolfTied
Vote Placed by LiquidLiquid 6 years ago
LiquidLiquid
thegreatdebatersWhiteWolfTied
Vote Placed by GavinAurion 6 years ago
GavinAurion
thegreatdebatersWhiteWolfTied
Vote Placed by trey.h52 6 years ago
trey.h52
thegreatdebatersWhiteWolfTied
Vote Placed by knm131 6 years ago
knm131
thegreatdebatersWhiteWolfTied
Vote Placed by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
thegreatdebatersWhiteWolfTied
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
thegreatdebatersWhiteWolfTied