MisterDeku
Donjaundebater1212

Public Forum Debate is better than Policy debate

MisterDeku

MisterDeku

Pro

= Full Resolution =
Public Forum debate has a greater potential academic benefit to students than Policy debate.

= Disambiguation =
This debate will be about the academic benefits of these two debate formats. Pro will be arguing that PF has greater potential to help students learn, while Con will be arguing that Policy debate has greater potential to help students learn.

= First round =
This round is acceptance and clarity only. If you the as the contender decide to accept this debate, you may only post the phrase 'I Accept.' in the your first round. Anything else will constitute a full forfeiture of all 7 points in the debate.

If there is a need for clarity, it should be inquired about in the comments prior to accepting the debate.

I repeat, Con should only post the phrase 'I Accept.' in his first round. I will add clarifications as necessary.

= Rules =
1. No framework arguments. This is includes definition (semantic) debates, arguments about the rules of debate in general and arguments concerning an opponent's interpretation of the resolution. Keep the arguments directly related to the resolution.

2. Keep debate jargon to a minimum. If the jargon can be understood in the context of an argument then it's acceptable, but don't use debate lingo in place of explaining an argument.

3. The BOP is shared between the Pro and the Con. Con may not simply refute Pro's arguments, he or she must provide their own arguments as well.

= Definitions =
Public Forum Debate // PF // PFD: '...a style of debate practiced in National Forensic League, National Catholic Forensic League competitions, and many other State and Major leagues across the United States.'

Policy Debate // CX: a form of debate competition in which teams of two advocate for and against a resolution that typically calls for policy change by the United States federal government.
Donjaundebater1212

Con

MisterDeku

Pro

MisterDeku forfeited this round.
Donjaundebater1212

Con

Donjaundebater1212 forfeited this round.
MisterDeku

Pro

Thanks Con!

PF gives students the opportunity to debate more topics than CX does. In the United States, the three biggest high school debate organizations (NFL[1], TOC[2] and CFL[3]) use the same yearly resolution for CX debate. Therefore a policy team would only get the chance to debate at most four resolutions. PF resolutions on the other hand change once a months, giving students the opportunity to debate up to 10 different resolutions a year,[4] and 40 different resolutions throughout their entire high school career.
The opportunity to debate more resolutions means that students are learning a broader variety of things than those participating in CX debate. Further, It keeps students on their toes in actually writing different arguments. Because the PF resolution changes so often, debaters don"t have the chance to use the same pre-written arguments over and over again for an entire year.
[1] http://bit.ly...
[2] http://bit.ly...
[3] www.ncfl.org
[4] http://bit.ly...

Next, Skills learned in PF debate are more readily applicable. PF has a very simple debate format,[5] there are no rules as to what needs to be included in a PF case, and no rigid guidelines as to how the debaters must argue. Coaches teach their students basic argumentation techniques such as the Toumlin Method[6] and let their students run with it. As a result PF debaters format their arguments as clearly as possible so that anyone listening could understand them. They are able to readily apply these skills in public communication as well as persuasion after they graduate and put their debate education to use.
CX on the other hand is so complicated that most circuits only allow experience debate alumni to judge rounds. This decline in clarity is the very reason PF was created in the first place[1], members of the debate community insisted that CX had become an overly specialized way to spew as much evidence as possible - the academic benefit of the activity had been lost.
[5] http://bit.ly...
[6] http://bit.ly...

Finally; PF's format allows more competition than CX's does. The clear format of PF means that students of just about any skill level can get involved and not have to worry about being 'spread out' by a school who could afford more, and better evidence than they could. PF debaters are able to begin competing any time throughout the academic year and still be at the same standing as other teams.
PF continues to increase in popularity at the annual NFL national tournament, whereas CX continues to decline[9]. As a public debate format, PF allows anyone to to participate and treat the event as a learning experience. Debaters have greater flexibility in their argument style and aren't penalized for stylistic mistakes CX on the other hand continues to progress towards a state of elitism as to who can even participate in the event in the first place
[9] https://www.nflonline.org...
Donjaundebater1212

Con

MisterDeku

Pro

Con was gracious enough to not post in his round when I ran out of time. I will show him the same kindness.

I pass this round and look forward to my opponent's argument next time. Thanks for the debate!
Donjaundebater1212

Con

Posted by MisterDeku 3 years ago
MisterDeku
Dude, you are awesome.
Posted by Donjaundebater1212 3 years ago
Donjaundebater1212
As I see my opponent did not have time to post his first argument and it is his turn, I shall also not respond so he may have the first speech.
Posted by MisterDeku 3 years ago
MisterDeku
Shoot I thought I had more time than this. Oh well. I will post in the next round.
Posted by Manatee 3 years ago
Manatee
I have no doubt that you'll do well in this debate. But, as someone who both participates in PF and has done this exact same debate against a much more skilled opponent, your position is undoubtedly the harder one.
Posted by MisterDeku 3 years ago
MisterDeku
Don't make general statements like that before I've even had a chance to start arguing.
Posted by S.ali 3 years ago
S.ali
LD all the way :D and speech :P
Posted by Manatee 3 years ago
Manatee
This is a hard debate to win, yo. People typically choose PF because they find it to be more enjoyable, not because they think it's any better academically.
Posted by MisterDeku 3 years ago
MisterDeku
@I don't see why.
Donjaundebater1212
Please Save this for me, im a varsity policy debater and i will be glad to debate you on this topic, as it is 12 am however i am exhausted and thus will do it tomorrow
Posted by Raisor 3 years ago
Raisor
It honestly boggles my mind that people could think PF is better than policy.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
MisterDekuDonjaundebater1212Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.