Str8t5150
Danielle

Public Highschool students ought not be required to take a standardized testing exam to graduate.

Danielle

Str8t5150

Pro

When anyone takes the debate this is going to be in the format of Lincoln-Douglas. If you don't know format it is: 1) Aff, Cross-X, 2) Neg, Cross-X, 3)AFF rebuttal, 4) Neg rebuttal, and the 5th and final round Aff rebuttal. Everyone has pleanty of time to state their cases.

Affirmative: HSEE

I would like to thank the negative and respect his/her case in this debate. I stand of the affirmed side of the resolution. Resolved: Public High School students of the United States ought not be required to take a standardized exit exam to graduate.

I would like to state my definitions for this round:

Definitions: Public High School :A learning center for grades 9-12 in which teachers teach to the standards the teachers and students are suppose to meet.
United States : A union of 50 states that are all entitled to a free public school education.
Self-Actualization - the achievement of one's full potential through creativity, independence, spontaneity, and a grasp of the real world.
Self-Esteem - a realistic respect for or favorable impression of oneself; self-respect.
Hierarchy - any system of persons or things ranked one above another.
Just - guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs-4 steps in pyramid that reaches to that one common goal of self-actualization. This leads to the most essential things in life. A philosophy.

My value for this round is: Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs states that everyone should have the physical components such as oxygen, food, and water, next is safety needs such as, law enforcement or ambulance or even the safety of friends and family, next is love, such as, parental love and love from friends, next is self esteem knowing your worth, and finally self actualization, such as, doing what is your dream. This links to the test because if the esteem fails because you failed the test, your whole pyramid fails.

My criterion for this round is: The test itself. The test itself links to my value because it shows on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs that if you fail this test you will lose each and every one of those slowly and painfully.

Contention A: Selfp-esteem. Self-esteem is my contention because it goes with Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and 2) it's a good reason why not to take this test.

Sub point I: Failure. Failure on this exam will interrupt the philosophy of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. This is true because if someone fails that person goes onto self-doubt and doesn't get to that self-actualization. That person will lose not only the respect for themselves but from their own peers.

Sub point II: Self-actualization. This is the long term effects that will have on the person. They will never, in between ages 20-35, be able to reach that self-achievement of which they are granted, unless of which gets a burst of confidence.

Contention B: Just. This links back to self-esteem in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, if a person's unjust to that person than the self-esteem goes down.

Sub point I: Left vs. right brain. The Left brain used for the test. Those kids can probably ace the test easily, but what about the other people? Those kids are right brained or basically just use their imagination or creativity to be better at art or performing arts. Those kids have hard enough time in there Algebra classes and English. Why give them a test their brain is very weak to.

Contention C: Motivation. Motivation goes back to Maslow's philosophy of those needs and as well as the test.

Sub point I: Studying. The test covers everything that is done within the years. I don't think nor do many other people think that a person will have all their notes from 6th to 12th grade. If this test plays a big role it's to get prepared for a high stakes test that measures everything from 6th to 12th grade that that person doesn't have the key to yet.

Because of these reasons I would like to stand firm on the AFF side of this debate round and state that my value is: Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and my criterion is the test itself. I am now open for cross-examination and points of clarification. Thank you.
Danielle

Con

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs asserts that at the apex of humans innate curiosity (fulfillment) is self-actualization, which posits: The achievement of one's full potential through creativity, independence, spontaneity, and a grasp of the real world. My point will be to prove that passing this test will give those students Pro's proposed value - self-esteem and respect - and that passing without deserving to do so (if they can't prove to know basic exit level knowledge by passing a standardized exam) would actually decrease their sense of accomplishment. Further, I fail to see how NOT taking the test would add to a student's sense of creativity, independence or grasp of the real world, as Pro's definition of self-actualization implies. Pro is responsible for explaining how/why this is the case. For now, onto the debate!

Rebuttal:

1. Pro submits that failing of the test will lead a student to doubt themselves, and thus not achieve the highest level of the pyramid. I negate. Students can and do fail these types of tests for a plethora of reasons, including lack of sleep, nerves, scan tron mistakes, distractions, sickness, etc. In other words, just because on fails this test does not mean that they will necessarily doubt themselves or their abilities. Further, just because one may have failed doesn't mean that they don't think they can pass; perhaps merely that they didn't perform well as they could have or could have.

2. Pro's second point regarding the long term effects of self-actualization is incomprehensible. I'd like for Pro to expand on this or clarify what he meant.

3. Pro says, "This links back to self-esteem in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, if a person's unjust to that person than the self-esteem goes down." Just because one fails a test does not mean that any type of injustice has occurred. Pro would have to prove or explain how this is the case.

4. Next Pro claims that the test is unfair because it applies to people who are more inclined to be left brained than right brained. I fail to see how this is relevant. First of all, Pro has no idea what kind of standardized test would be implemented; perhaps one that favors right-brained people (or both people equally) would be implemented. Second, this same discrepancy is applied to all aspects of school and life in general. Some people are better at certain things than others, and that's unfortunate. However, people have to work around their strengths and abilities and find ways to succeed.

5. Pro then mentions "motivation," but says nothing comprehensible about it. What about motivation, Pro?

6. Next Pro says that students cannot realistically study for the test, and therefore it's unfair. I negate. First of all, there are always test taking abilities that one can learn (such as time management, process of elimination, etc.). Second, education isn't supposed to be about memorization and regurgitation. Instead, it's supposed to be a building process of knowledge. If one cannot remember the basic skills that they are supposed to learn in 6th grade (and these tests tend to only cover the basics), then perhaps they don't deserve to graduate.

Arguments:

Perhaps the biggest reason that the education system in the United States is failing is because students are passing when they should not be. Teachers and school administrators are more concerned about the school's reputation, their own careers and available funding rather then ensuring that students are receiving a proper and adequate education. As a result, students are graduating HS who are literally at a 2nd grade reading and comprehension level [1]. This is doing the students a huge injustice, and failing to meet the criteria for education in this country as established by the U.S. government.

Further, when students graduate and go on to college, but fail to retain adequate basic knowledge necessary to succeed at a university, they are forced to take remedial classes which is a giant waste of their time and money. Additionally, it's a huge waste of tax payer money for those students who receive public aid from the government for their reputation. Moreover, these type of embarrassing scores on said tests make the U.S. look bad in comparison to other education systems in the world. By implementing these tests, students will be encouraged to pay more attention in school over the years and value actually grasping knowledge, instead of just getting by from passing test to test.

If students and teachers know that they're going to be held accountable at the end instead of just receiving another free pass, they will work to perform better, thus giving them a more gratifying sense of appreciation and success. This will surely be the best motivator and reward, thus being the best option for everyone: Accountability, Knowledge and being as Fair as possible.

[1] http://teachers.net...
Str8t5150

Pro

Str8t5150 forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

My opponent has forfeited his round, so please extend my arguments.
Str8t5150

Pro

Str8t5150 forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

Thank goodness my opponent keeps forfeiting. I'm so sick of this topic anyway. Extend my arguments.
Str8t5150

Pro

Str8t5150 forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo!
Str8t5150

Pro

Str8t5150 forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

d00t d00t d00t
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
I remember when our debate teacher taught us about the Hierarchy of Needs. I also distinctly remember her subsequent demand that we write "NEVER EVER USE. EVER." on the front of the handout.
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
Str8t5150DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
Str8t5150DanielleTied