Public Option is the best way to reform the American Health Care System

Health, as defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is "the condition of being sound in body, mind or spirit especially freedom from physical disease or pain (Merriam & Webster)." The Declaration of Independence reads, "…all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (Hancock, John)." Therefore, in order for Americans to exercise these rights, one has to have health as well. So it is a necessity that the national government reform the health insurance system, by providing a competitive public option of health insurance so that Americans can have access to medical care and in turn, their health.

Sources: Merriam, & Webster. Merriam-Webster, 2009. Web. 9 Nov. 2009 <;.

Hancock, John The Declaration of Independence. The Charters of Freedom, 4 July 1776. Web. 10 Nov. 2009 <;.

Thank you for starting this debate. Good Luck!

I negate.

I disagree with your health definitions, because we are debating on the U.S healthcare system as a whole, not just health.

Public option: a government-run health insurance program available to two groups—those who lack employer-provided health insurance, and employees of small businesses.

best way: the best option. Both benefiting the government, economy, and citizens.

reform: make changes in (something, typically a social, political, or economic institution or practice) in order to improve it.

American Health Care System: Improving U.S private insurance companies.

Clarification: Public option is the best way to improve U.S private insurance companies.

Pro, please post arguments in R2. I'll post arguments in R2, too.

kej1012 forfeited this round.

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate.

I suppose my opponent accepts my definition and clarification. Con doesn't have the burden of proof or has to provide a counter-plan.

1) Public Option requires money. The U.S government doesn't have that kind of cash on hand.
"The public plan has, in our view, many problems," said John Castellani, the group's president. "It will likely simply shift, rather than reduce, costs and will stifle the innovation that we need to continue improving our health care system."
Therefore public option hurts the health care.

2) Public Option will drive out private insurance companies' business. Without this there is no competition, income tax, company tax, etc form of revenues for the government. Many others will go unemployed. This is not the best way to benefit the government, economy, and citizens.

3) Public Option will hurt the economy. With such a reform the government will lose money through its healthcare and through the economy. This in turn doesn't improve the health care system.

Overall in the end Public option is not the best way to reform the American HealthCare System. Private insurance companies as you can see are not as profitable. So throwing in the government doesn't help, it drives out insurance companies.

First off, I apologize that I missed the second round. I am not technologically inclined and didn't realize that I could post in Round 2 I thought we were still in Round 1, so I apologize.

My definition of health is a definition provided by a dictionary and is therefore a widely held definition of the word "health." What I am debating is that every American is entitled to the ability to maintain their health, and the best way for someone to be able to maintain his or her health is access to health insurance. Therefore, those who cannot afford health insurance should have the ability to opt for the Public Health Care Option proposed in House Bill 3200: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009. The purpose of said bill is as follows "To provide affordable quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth of health care spending (Dingell et al.)." Therefore, I defined health as I did to show that all Americans should be able to maintain their health with the passing of this health care reform bill.
In the bill it is stated that the option will "ensure choice, competition, and stability of affordable, high quality coverage throughout the United States…(Dingell et al.)" As of now the health insurance system is not sustainable and by providing this option it will help to make it more sustainable. By providing access to health insurance through the government-run "Health Insurance Exchange" it will decrease the monopoly private insurers enjoy today and bring down the over all cost of insurance. President Obama has stated the public option is a way of "keeping insurers honest (New York Times)," and by increasing competition through the introduction of a government-run option this bill will do just that.
In conclusion, my opinion of the public option is widely accepted by the American people as well as Congress. On November 9, 2009 House Bill 3200 was passed in the House of Representatives by a narrow margin of 220-215 but it still passed which shows that American legislators believe in the bill's validity. Also, on November 18, 2009 Senate majority leader Harry Reid presented the bill with the public option still attached, to the Senate, therefore he also believes in the option. In a poll taken by the Washington Post, fifty-seven percent of Americans supported the public option in October (Cohen, Jon and Agiesta, Jennifer). The primary responsibility of this bill is to design "a low-cost plan without compromising quality or access to care (Dingell et al)." Seeing as how fifty-seven percent of Americans, the United States House of Representatives, and the Senate majority leader all believe in the public option, it is a plan that all Americans can believe in as well.

Cohen, Jon & Jennifer Agiesta. Poll Shows Support for Public Option. The Washington Post, 20 Oct. 2009. Web. 10 Nov. 2009 <;.

Dingell, John, Charles Rangel, and Henry Waxman. House Bill 3200: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009. Washington, D.C.: United States House of Representatives, 2009. Web. 10 Nov. 2009 <;.

Times, New York. "Public Health Insurance Option." New York Times [New York, NY] 28 Oct. 2009: 1. Web. 2009 Nov 10.<;.

Narwal19 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Sniperjake1994 6 years ago
Vote Placed by Grape 6 years ago