cassdwillz
zmikecuber

Public Schooling is better than Home Schooling

zmikecuber

cassdwillz

Pro

First Round is Acceptance.
I am Pro (Public Schooling is Better).
zmikecuber

Con

I accept. I would like to thank my opponent for giving me this opportunity to debate her on this topic. I shall argue that public-schooling is not necessarily better than home-schooling.

Since no definitions were provided, I shall give a few.

Public schooling: Attending "a school that gets money from and is controlled by a local government" (1)

Home schooling: "to teach school subjects to one's children at home" (2)

Better: "more attractive, favorable, or commendable, more advantageous or effective, improved in accuracy or performance" (3)

Over to Pro!

(1) http://www.merriam-webster.com...;
(2) http://www.merriam-webster.com...;
(3) http://www.merriam-webster.com...;
cassdwillz

Pro

I would like to start off by thanking you for accepting.

My first reason is that there are more curriculum opportunities in public schooling.
My second reason is that you are able to learn in a group setting and that you are able work well with others.
My third reason is that you can gain the social skills needed in public schooling rather than home schooling.

I will start off with my first reason.
There are usually more curriculum opportunities in public schooling. Classes range from just regular Math and English to jewellery making and social media marketing.

My second reason is that you are able to learn in a group setting so that you learn how to work well with others.
When you the student grows older and gets a job they are going to need to know how to work in a group setting with others.

My third reason is that you can gain the social skills needed.
When being home schooled you don't learn how to act in a social environment and be what some people call to be "socially acceptable".

Go for it Con!
zmikecuber

Con

Being home-schooled myself and planning to attend engineering school, I think that I am in a good position to dispel the common misconceptions regarding homeschooling, as well as give some good positive reasons why home-schooling may be better than public schooling.

My opponent has given three reasons why public schooling is better than home-schooling, so before I get into my positive reasons for home-schooling, I shall deal with her arguments.

Curriculum opportunities
My opponent asserts that there are usually more curriculum opportunities in public schooling than in home-schooling. However, such claims are unfounded, and unreferenced. Many home-schoolers also participate in online classes, run by private companies. For example, (not to toot my own horn) I have been able to study Latin for 8 years, which involved translating Caesar's Gallic Wars, as well as Cicero's First and Third Orations against Catiline, and his First Oration against Verres. (1) Furthermore, I have been able to study different coures on traditional logic, (2) as well as philosophy. While not every home-schooler may take advantage of these opportunities, the opportunities are still present.

The amount of different courses available to home-schoolers through the internet is immense.

This suffices to demonstrate that Pro's assertions are unfounded-the internet has allowed for almost any subject a student desires to learn about.

Working with others
Once again, Pro's arguments fail. Some home-schoolers participate in group home-school classes, where they are able to interact with each other. Furthermore, how to interact with other people can be easily learned through any sort of part-time job, or summer job. It is not an essential part of an education to teach the student how to interact with others.

Social skills
Home-schoolers being socially inept is nothing more than a myth. Home-schoolers often participate in home-school group events. This can range from anywhere to Church meetings to a formal dance. At events such as these, home-schoolers are given opportunities to learn social skills, and how to interact with others.

Arguments in favor of home-schooling
Now that I have refuted my opponent's arguments, I shall present some positive reasons why home-schooling may be better than public schooling.

1. Each person is different
While public schooling may be better for some, it's also very plausible to accept that home-schooling may be better for others. Someone who is prone to being bullied, or easily distracted by their friends, may find it much easier to learn in a different, quieter atmosphere. So while public schools may be good for some, we should also accept the possibility that home schooling may be better for others.

2. Superior test scores
Furthermore, home-schoolers regularly perform better on standardized tests.

According to the US Department of Education, the average ACT score for a home-schooler is 22.6 (3)

This is 1.5 points higher than the National Average ACT, which is 21.1 (4)

Once again, I can personally attest to this fact. Most of my friends who are home schoolers have scored above 25 on their ACT tests.

According to educationnews.org:

"Homeschooling statistics show that those who are independently educated [home-schooled] typically score between the 65th and 89th percentile on such exams, while those attending traditional schools average on the 50th percentile." (5)

It should be no surprise that the amount of home-schoolers has risen by 75% since 1999 (5). Home-schooling affords all the oppurtunities of public-schooling, results in superior education (as evidenced by the ACT averages), and avoids the negative aspects of public schools, such as bullying and distraction.

Thus, it has been established that public schooling is not better than homeschooling, and that homeschooling may even be better.

I await Pro's response!

(1) http://www.memoriapress.com...
(2) http://www.memoriapress.com...
(3) http://www.statisticbrain.com...;
(4) http://www.act.org...;
(5) http://www.educationnews.org...;
cassdwillz

Pro

cassdwillz forfeited this round.
zmikecuber

Con

Alas, my opponent has forfeited. The resolution has been negated, and Pro has not met her BoP; Public schooling is not better than homeschooling.

Please vote Con! Thank you!
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
cassdwillzzmikecuberTied
Vote Placed by Yanks4eva 3 years ago
Yanks4eva
cassdwillzzmikecuberTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited
Vote Placed by GodChoosesLife 3 years ago
GodChoosesLife
cassdwillzzmikecuberTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro FF a round. Con used more reliable sources to defend his point so he gets points. And also Con made more reasonable understandable realistic points which seemed very convincing so he gets the convincing arguments points as well.