ascrub
WesternGuy3

Public Schools problems

ascrub

Con

With Common Core in place, many things have changed. However, not all those changes are good. But that was a while ago. What about today? Well, i believe that the modern school board (Especially ones that are run by liberals) are teaching our kids weird.... stuff. One of the required counseling lessons at an Elementary School Under the Fairfax County school board is that the counselor must teach the kids that the word "Bully" is bad because it labels the person as who they are. They also have to say that you can't say "Victim" because it makes the victim feel powerless. They then put "Victim feels powerless" In the definition for bullying. They replaced the word bully with aggressor (What the crud?) and victim with target. To me, that sounds pretty close to indoctrination.
WesternGuy3

Pro

So, because the topic is unclear, I assume I am in favor of Common Core and the ideas it teaches.
Now, before I begin my arguments, I am going to go ahead and refute my opponents arguments.
Their only argument against common core was that there was an indoctrination of terminology referencing bullying. They give no evidence of this happening, other than one school. When actually looking for this county, a pamphlet from their school district published September 2015, , shows very little use of the words aggressor, and uses the words bully a lot more. So, my opponents only arguments falls.

Now, to argue in favor of common core. In any education program, whether it be No Child Left Behind, or our current common core, there will always be problems and benefits. The fact is, that Common Core is the best education initiative our country has instituted yet. Common Core has increased creativity greatly, not only because of its encouragement, but also because teachers have more time to commit to creativity. There are less high stakes testing, and a more hands on approach. Second, Common Care allows students to fully understand their foundation of knowledge. If teachers need to follow a benchmark, then it gives less time for the teachers to help the students understand their base concepts. If that is not fully realized, the student will come under detrimental impacts in the future. Common Core allows students to dive deep into concepts they don't understand. Next, it creates ground for greater equity. Those in low income neighborhoods and those with stronger academic goals, will all have a middle ground bar to reach, and common core makes it reachable for all students across the world. That way, students are reaching a goals, AND they are prepared for the real world in a job environment or in college. Lastly, common core creates rigor and participation. Both of these are necessary for a great education, and past initiatives never strongly supported these educational skills as much as common core does.

Overall, common core is the way to go, and is the future of our education system
Thanks
http://neatoday.org...
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov...

ascrub

Con

Common Core has not helped kids learn more. Kids learn under the Common Core, which basically tells them what to learn. And so, they learn what Common Core allows them to learn.

Second argument: Common Core is unconstitutional. In the constitution, it give rights to states and to the federal government. Education was NOT one of the things it gave to the federal government. Now, your argument will probably be "But they didn't have to accept it," But, the government was offering MONEY for accepting it. The government was basically bribing the states. If anything, Common Core should be abolished just for that, not to mention the limits it puts on learning as I touched on earlier. Common Core also doesn't help in the jobs department. If you become a businessman, you don't need to know that a square had 4 vertices.
WesternGuy3

Pro

WesternGuy3 forfeited this round.
ascrub

Con

I forgot to mention, that document with the studies of bullying have no bearing on what I have said. While I don't have a document to prove my statement, (Even if I did, it would probably be confidential.) I stand by my statement that the counselors are required to teach the kids not to say /say stuff.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov...
WesternGuy3

Pro

WesternGuy3 forfeited this round.
ascrub

Con

Since you are forfeiting, I assume you are forfeiting the entire debate? Meh, MLG wins for me.
WesternGuy3

Pro

WesternGuy3 forfeited this round.
Posted by MikeTheGOd 1 year ago
MikeTheGOd
debating education at least stuff like the no child act and standardized testing in real life debate is boring for me. I am sure it will be even more boring to type so I will just watch.

It tends to be a boring topic.