Jbrownell
owen99999

Public Schools should not have to wear school uniforms

owen99999

Jbrownell

Pro

Public schools should not have to wear school uniforms. By wearing school uniforms you are not able to express yourself. I do believe that there should be rules about what you wear at a public school but everyone should not be forced to wear the same thing.
owen99999

Con

I accept the challenge.

Firstly I would like to say that I think a lot of schools take uniform waaayyyy to seriously. But personally I think that there should be school uniform but you should be allowed to wear whatever shoes you want (within reason) and have your hair, makeup, jewellery and bags as you want.

The reasons for this are as follows.

1a) Bullying and peer pressure can often be the result of non school uniform. Where school uniform is not present; a child is somewhat forced to choose what to wear and could be targeted because of it. Also it makes peer pressure more prominent. Some kids could be forced to wear something they don't want to wear just because it's 'cool'.

1b)If a family is poor then they won't be able to afford as nice clothes so they may be targeted because of the amount of money they have.

1ci) Similar to point 1b, parents or children may end up feeling forced to spend money that could be used better elswhere on 'cool' clothes so their kids don't get picked on.

1cii) Hand me downs are a perfect example of a pro for school uniform. If it stays the same, parents with more than one child can give younger children the older children's old clothes saving money. This might not be able to happen with other clothes because the younger child may have different style choices for example.

2) Experts believe that children who wearschooluniforms do better academically. This is due to a myriad of reasons, including not wasting time in the morning getting ready, lack of distractions, and a more formal studying environment.

3) It prepares children for later life when they may need to wear a certain uniform/type of clothing in the workplace.

4) It is an important safety thing for school trips, outings and even problems at the school. It helps prevent children getting lost on school trips and if there was say a fire at a school building which was connected to other buildings for other things (Workplaces etc) then outside in amongst the panic school children would be easily identifiable.

5) With no school uniform it would be miles harder for staff as they would have to spend a lot more time enforcing the uniform policy to ensure it was appropriate clothing (eg not too revealing, no unacceptable symbolism like the swastika etc) and it would be much harder to enforce and much easier for children to overstep the line and claim they can't be punished because the rules weren't clear.

Thank you, and I look forward to your arguments and rebuttals.

[1] http://www.buzzle.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Jbrownell

Pro

Thank you for excepting this argument.

1) I do not believe it will eliminate bullying in schools. If a bully cannot pick on you for your clothing, they all most likely, find a way to make fun of you for something else. The bully will most likely find it as a challenge. The bully feels very powerful when they bully. Therefore, they will not stop.

2) School uniforms can be very costly whether or not the school or parents are paying for them. If the school is purchasing, the way the economy is they cannot afford to pay for the uniforms. One uniform is not being purchased for one student. Multiple uniforms would have to be purchased for one student. Some schools have had to cut extracurricular activities so they will not have enough money to buy uniforms. If the parents are buying, they are buying an outfit that they cannot wear on weekends or in the summer. They still have to buy clothes for them to wear on those days.

3) Wearing uniforms takes away the freedom of choice. Being in school you don't have a lot of freedom as it is so why take that away as well?

4) Uniforms can create problems. They can be hard to clean because they ate usually white. Wearing a uniform, the schools will have specific requirements how they are supposed to look.

Sources: www.enbrodidered-uniforms.com
Www.topics-mag.com
owen99999

Con

1) I don't for one moment think it will eliminate bullying in schools. What I said was that non school uniform was a CONTRIBUTING FACTOR to bullying so by having school uniform you may reduce this.

2) School uniforms can be costly but:
a) If schools take the appropriate steps they can find the cheapest solution to school uniform. you can get polo shirts at primark; �3 for 2!
b) The school nearest mine pays for the kids uniforms and does so easily... There are much more costly things than uniforms in a school environment. I only have one uniform I just wash it tuesday nights thursday nights and on saturdays...

3) There are loads of other ways to express yourself such as your hairstyle, your jewellery, your shoes, your makeup (for girls), the way you shave (for boys). And there's always non school uniform day's!

4) My polo is white but my school jumper is black and my trousers are black. I don't know any schools with white uniforms they are usually dark coloured for this very reason!

In conclusion:
School uniforms are bad for the pupil and the family of the pupil for many different reasons. Students can express themselves in other ways!

Thanks and good luck.
Posted by LukaHere 1 year ago
LukaHere
In my opinion, we SHOULD wear school uniforms, especially in the "one gender" schools, as there is no one to impress.
Also, we should all be equal.
My opponents might say, that wearing school uniforms, doesn't express their individuality, but you don't come to school for a fashion show, you come to learn.
In addition, if you wear your own clothes, people might be jealous of them, as they might not afford what you are wearing, if it's a good brand/quality etc.
Furthermore, if you wear the same clothes a few times, people might start bullying and judging you, because they might think that you don't have enough money to buy new clothes, so, avoiding this, you would have to buy new clothes from the money that you have or nag your parents to buy you clothes.
Of course, uniforms are all the same in the school, but as I said before it's not a fashion show, you don't come to be a model or show your naked parts, which no-one wants to see.
You might, think the uniform that you always put on in the morning is dull and ugly, but uniforms are important. What if after school, you are going home and you have to cross the road, where there are cars passing by? Someone might hit you with the car and no-one will be able to say what school you are from, as no-one can see you school's badge. This is why uniforms are important in many ways.
Posted by musicisallineed 2 years ago
musicisallineed
Well ofcourse its important. It not only spreads the feeling of equality but also uniformity. The teachers have a grudge against students who wear their uniforms shabbily, then imagine what their response would be to students who dressed as they wish!
In the U.S. and U.K. is isn't manditary but in India, a country where not everyone earns as well and lives in proper conditions, uniforms atleast prove them as equal. Instead of feeling deprived of something or not being able to afford something students can concentrate on their studies.
Posted by renucemi000 2 years ago
renucemi000
Uniform is a social leveller - it makes all the children at a school equal no matter what their family background or income. If students can choose their own clothes, then the rich kids compete to show off their expensive designer labels and costly sneakers (trainers). Children from poorer families get picked on for not being able to afford lots of pricey outfits. There is no proper research that shows that introducing uniforms cuts crime in schools. Uniforms can actually lead to more violence, as they make students from rival schools much more obvious in the street or on the bus. "Us-and-them" feelings are made worse by uniform, and bullying and fighting between students from different schools can increase.
Posted by BangBang-Coconut 2 years ago
BangBang-Coconut
The length of this debate took a lot of the kick out of it. There wasn't much clash whatsoever, and the depth of the arguments barely scratched the surface.

Pro-
When making your case don't just refute what you opponent has said. That does nothing in the way of helping you establish your argument. Also attack your opponent's warrants directly. I also think attacking his sources would have been a benefit.
Next time try and hyper-link your sources instead of just the text URL. I didn't even see your sources at first.

Con-
Don't bother with sub-points for a debate like this, and especially don't bother with sub-sub points. It's okay for arguments to have multiple warrants. In fact setting out each warrant out as a stand-alone argument as you've done make it easier for your opponent to take out your arguments.
Don't use sourced like Buzzle, or Wikipedia. It shows you put absolutely zero effort into your research, and in turn I find your arguments less effective. Also post mark in your case you're using your sources. Just plug a number in brackets [#] and have the corresponding number near your sources.

RFD-
Effort. While Con's sources and structure where bad, he made better arguments and was more thorough in refutation and analysis. I would have loved to see more from both sides, this was a weak debate.
Posted by kyro90 2 years ago
kyro90
Lol I am just saying from my oppinion but I didnt add my oppinion into the amount of votes I added.
Posted by royalpaladin 2 years ago
royalpaladin
Kyro, you are supposed to vote on the arguments and not on your personal feelings.
Posted by owen99999 2 years ago
owen99999
AHHH CRAP I MEANT NON SCHOOL UNIFORMS!
correction:
My conclusion should read :

No school uniform is bad for the pupil and the family of the pupil for many different reasons. Students can express themselves in other ways!
or
School uniforms are important for the pupil and the family of the pupil for many different reasons. Students can express themselves in other ways!
Posted by owen99999 2 years ago
owen99999
Thank you :)
Posted by Jhate 2 years ago
Jhate
good debate so far, love the key points looking forward to it
Vote Placed by BangBang-Coconut 2 years ago
BangBang-Coconut
Jbrownellowen99999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: In comments
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 2 years ago
RoyLatham
Jbrownellowen99999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not respond to the argument that grades improve. Pro's cost argument was not substantiated and it unconvincing. The debate would have been improved by citig references: studies show costs are less, grades improve, etc.
Vote Placed by blackblaze241 2 years ago
blackblaze241
Jbrownellowen99999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: owen99999 seemed to have better arguments, in my opinion.
Vote Placed by kyro90 2 years ago
kyro90
Jbrownellowen99999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I totally agree with Con. School uniforms should be of use because I just think its very stylish, though that may only be because I watch alote of anime that require school uniforms but I am still and convinced and agree.
Vote Placed by royalpaladin 2 years ago
royalpaladin
Jbrownellowen99999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I am not going to dock points from the Con for accidentally mistyping the conclusion. Pro attempts to turn the bullying argument by claiming that bullies will find other things with which to harass students. This is true, but Con adequately points out, bullying would be reduced since clothing and economic factors (which are indicated by clothing) are the primary reasons that people are targeted. Pro drops the academic achievement argument and Con cites alternate means of expression. Con wins.
Vote Placed by wmpeebles 2 years ago
wmpeebles
Jbrownellowen99999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con basically conceded in the end. Con is supposed to be debating that public schools should have to wear school uniforms, but in his conclusion he states that uniforms are bad. So arguments go to Pro. Conduct goes to Pro because Con wasn't debating against the resolution. Con said in his opening statements that people should be allowed to wear whatever within reason. This debate is about uniform policy, not dress code policy.