Jaynorth
katromanach

Public prayer should be allowed in schools.

Jaynorth

Jaynorth

Pro

First round is accepting the argument and why you think it should not be allowed.
katromanach

Con

Public prayers should not be allowed in school. Some people may get offended by what he or she may have said. People react differently to situations. The United States is basically a mixing pot with people from around the world. But our founding fathers were all Christian or Catholic. I believe that we should preach the words our founding fathers said years ago.
Jaynorth

Pro

You stated that the founding fathers were either Catholic or Christian. So if we should preach like our founding fathers, why can't we have public prayer?
You don't state a resonable argument.
katromanach

Con

katromanach forfeited this round.
Jaynorth

Pro

so by not stating a argument in the previous round you state what?
katromanach

Con

katromanach forfeited this round.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
Funny profile pic.
Also, public prayer is already allowed in schools in the US, isn't it?
Posted by Edwar3je 2 years ago
Edwar3je
By public prayer, are you implying that students should be able to pray in schools in their own time, or are you implying that prayer should be mandatory in schools? If it's the former, then that would be fine, but if it's the latter then I think that would violate the establishment clause. Also, by schools are you implying public schools as well or just private schools?
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
Public schools exist to educate, not to proselytize. Children in public schools are a captive audience. Making prayer an official part of the school day is coercive and invasive. Our public schools are for all children, whether Catholic, Baptist, Quaker, atheist, Buddhist, Jewish, agnostic. The schools are supported by all taxpayers, and therefore should be free of religious observances and coercion. It is the sacred duty of parents and churches to instill religious beliefs, free from government dictation. Institutionalizing prayers in public schools usurps the rights of parents.
School prayer proponents mistake government neutrality toward religion as hostility. The record shows that religious beliefs have flourished in this country not in spite of but because of the constitutional separation of church and state. Any school promotion or endorsement of a student's private religious activity is unconstitutional.
Posted by bluebrit 2 years ago
bluebrit
Considering that religion is the basis to many people's life, they should be able to pray in school.
Posted by katromanach 2 years ago
katromanach
My bad. My sister hacked my account. By all means I am Con and will stick to my opinion.
Posted by Jaynorth 2 years ago
Jaynorth
By reading your comment I can not tell if your pro or con but by accepting this debate you selected con meaning you are against prayer in schools so please make your debate based off the side you selected.
Because if we both have the same viewpoint we can not debate.
Thanks
Posted by katromanach 2 years ago
katromanach
I believe that public prayer should be allowed. It would be discrimination if a school did not allow public prayer. On the other hand, parents should not enroll their children in a school that worships another religion.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
JaynorthkatromanachTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture