baybayshri
MasterPhoenix

Public school students should wear uniforms

MasterPhoenix has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

baybayshri

Con

The one word public shoos children hate more than ANYTHING is the word UNIFORM. All our lives teachers and parents have told us to "Be yourself". However, all of this is thrown out the window when the idea of a uniform is being talked about. Lots of teachers and parents like the idea of uniforms for many reasons. But Ii am here today to show you the negative repercussions of wearing uniforms
MasterPhoenix

Pro

Hi there BayBayShri. I am happy to take up your challenge and argue for having uniforms in public schools.

The first point I want to make is that school uniforms promote equity throughout the school itself. If you are poor, and you have to wear your normal clothes, then people can ridicule you because of it. if you are rich, and you wear your normal clothes, people will try to be like you and then they struggle. They become lost because there is someone who is so much better than them. When there is a school uniform, everyone will look the same, so that no one is discriminated because of what they wear. That's why most schools (including mine) have uniform: it promotes equity.

I look forward to your next point arguing against this topic.
MasterPhoenix
baybayshri

Con

My first argument is this: My school is a title school. This means that a lot of the kids that go to school come from lower income families. Because students have the right to a free education, if the school wanted the kids to wear uniforms then they must pay for it. Now lets look at a school system like mine with about 10,000 students. According to learningin21 "Uniform tops cost $26.99, uniforms bottoms cost $34.99 or $44.99, pullovers cost $39.99 and vest cost $35.99." Now each child will need about 3 outfits. This will cost a public school system greatly. Like I said, because you cannot deny children access to public education, the school system must pay for students who cannot afford these uniforms. Please keep in mind that I am only talking about public schools here. Private schools wearing uniforms is a totally different issue. :)
MasterPhoenix

Pro

I do not have time to post a full argument. I will be back in the next round.
baybayshri

Con

When we go to get real Job, chances are that we will all have to wear uniforms. No matter if you"re a nurse, teacher, or McDonald"s worker, chances are that you will have to wear some type of uniform. It would stand to reason that, because we are forced to wear uniforms when we grow up, we would be given the freedom to dress how we like. Because youth is associated with being the time in your life when you can enjoy not having to worry about anything, it would make sense that parents and the teachers would realize that students need freedom to enjoy their youth dressing how they wish.
MasterPhoenix

Pro

Yes, I agree with your previous statement. When we become older, we all have to wear uniforms. Life is like that. But wouldn't it be better if the habit is ingrained into their mind from an early age? If we are shown how to wear a uniform, then we become better at wearing it, and you know that to get something correct, it takes time. Well, the time to start practicing is when we start school. That way, we become responsible adults who wear uniform tidier than the ones who don't.

"A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times."
- Baltasar Gracian
baybayshri

Con

I"d like to go back on a point you made in your first argument. You said that a lot of kids might not have the financial means to dress the way they want to. You said that using uniforms eliminates the division between the poor kids in the richer kids. And I do agree you have a point there, but I don"t think you should punish kids are more financially Well off. The way you dress is one of the keyways you can express yourself. I would argue it is our easiest way to express yourself. And even if you don"t have the financial means to dress the way you want, you still have multiple ways to dress up an outfit and make it your own. There are also multiple thrift stores and other organizations that will provide clothes At little or no cost. And again on the point you made in your last argument, childhood the teenage years, those are all supposed to be about having fun and expressing yourself. We will all be adults soon enough.
"Older men declare war. But it is youth that must fight"
Hoover
Posted by MasterPhoenix 14 hours ago
MasterPhoenix
Hey ralfm, you make a good point. I hope it goes onto another round, but I don't known when that will happen (I'm new).
Posted by ralfm 1 day ago
ralfm
I hope this debate gets into the next round so more arguments are possible.
I can see that both of you made a few assumptions. I want to address the assumption of adolescence as a period of freedom and self expressing. This is a very first world point of view. The idea of youth isn't that old yet, but it might help to look further into this topic to bolster this argument.
Posted by MasterPhoenix 1 week ago
MasterPhoenix
Listen. I couldn't put up the argument for Round 4 because I kept getting the "No Buffer Space" error and it was stopping me from posting. I apologize, and I hope you will forgive me.