figs
jonathonave

Public schools Should ablish The current numirucal grading system

jonathonave has forfeited round #3.

figs

Pro

Public Schools should abolish the grade system because it can cause lots of stress and cause low self esteem. also the amount of homework some kids can get all at one time is insane and all it take is the homework to be wrong and to lower their grades dramatically. In a study the more homework that a child has can lead to a higher chance of stress, depression, and lower grades
http://tinyurl.com...
Also low grades are not just stressful for kids it is also stressful for parents too. for example no parent would like their child to stay back and therefore put more stress on the kids to work harder. so the kids will be having so much stress from school and then their parents plop a whole lot of stress onto them witch can also cause their grades to go down. also grades are just a number yet people take it in as life or death/make or break. a good alternative to grades may be just the teachers opinion and not a number and if a teacher believes a kid should stay back they should sit down and talk to them and let it be the kids or their parents decision.
jonathonave

Con

The grade system may be flawed, but it is the only way to provide objective record of a student's performance in school.

In order to side with my opponent in this round, you have to be convinced that there is a better solution, or a solution that fulfills the requirements that a grading system must fulfill, while avoiding the harms of the status quo.

The alternative that my opponent presented was that of the "teacher's opinion."
This is impossible for a number of reasons.
1. Teacher's opinion is not objective. Any opinion from a teacher will always be influenced by... the teacher's opinion. This does not give an objective measure of how the student is doing, rather one individual's opinion that cannot be trusted as absolutely true.
2. Teachers do not have time to form and write up opinions on every student. Every teacher has hundreds of students - no teacher could be expected to offer a subjective opinion in every instance.
3. Teacher's opinion does not file as easily. When a college looks at accepting a student, they look at his high school grades. The college cannot review, and the high school cannot be expected to keep, written opinions from every teacher on every student.

I submit to you that objective letter grades are the only plausible way for a school to be run, as we have seen no alternative. Thank you, please stick with the status quo.
figs

Pro

I understand my opponents standpoint on this, although i am not proclaiming that this should be a straight shot alternative. rather a suggestion to an idea that may have many answers. for example you may still give them a grade but not in a manner that may bring the students self esteem down. for example if the teacher hands back a test that you think you did so well on and find out you failed with x amount of points the student will begin to think about the current grade in their class going down causing more stress than failing a test with x amount of point.
jonathonave

Con

My opponent has introduced a plan that is not fully formulated. We have a system right now that works. Does it have some small flaws and negative aspects? Of course. No system is perfect, and my opponent has pointed out these flaws in his arguments. But the bottom line in this debate is that we do not see a better alternative presented. My opponent argues that letter grades should be removed, but we don't see a grading system presented to replace letter grades. Without seeing an alternative, we cannot evaluate whether the action should actually be taken or not.

Permit me to draw a situation for you. You are stranded on a desert island, and your only supply of food is cheeseburgers. My opponent argues that the cheeseburgers should be removed, because they are unhealthy. That may be true, but I would argue that, given that the cheeseburgers are your only known source of food, the cheeseburgers should be kept for lack of a better option.

At the end of the day, I agree with my opponent that the letter grade system has some negative impacts. But we cannot vote to remove the system, without being absolutely sure that we will be able to institute a better one. If you get rid of the cheeseburgers, it's possible that lettuce and cucumbers nights start growing on the island. But it's also possible that you will be left without a source of food, and find yourself eating wood or sand. I would submit to you that the possibility of the later far outweighs the benefit of removing the cheeseburgers, and ask that you vote against removal of the letter grade system. Thank you.
figs

Pro

I understand my opponents standpoint on this. and i also acknowledge his debate but for this last round i will simply state that i believe this because the the reasons i have provided. and although i may not agree with my opposite on this one i know this was a great debate :)
Posted by CosmoJarvis 10 months ago
CosmoJarvis
Jonathonave makes some great points on why the numerical grading system is efficient, with points such as how "Teacher's opinion is not objective... This does not give an objective measure of how the student is doing, rather one individual's opinion that cannot be trusted as absolutely true."

Fig argues that "the numerical system of grading can "cause lots of stress and cause low self-esteem." I recommend that Fig uses more studies or quotes from students, researchers and teachers regarding this because Fig's argument seems no less than baseless assertions.