bearski
Bridget.Ann

Punishing 17 Year Old Children

bearski

Pro

According to a pastor of a Christian Church, a real one, 17 year old children should be whipped with a switch to correct willful disobedience.

I will be pro and take the position supporting the pastor on his views on the corporal punishment of teenagers. My opening argument is this is a matter of religious freedom and the pastor is merely advocating what is preached in the Bible..
Bridget.Ann

Con

So, let me get this right..you think it is okay for a legal child to be whipped if they are disobedient? Let me just say that this is child abuse, and what that pastor says will not keep you out of jail. I highly doubt that the law cares about a book stating that it is okay to hurt a child.
bearski

Pro

Glad you asked. Here is my answer

#1 The First Amendment guarantees the free exercise of religion. The pastor has chosen as part of his ministry distilling advice on what he believes to be the proper way to correct disobedient children and teenagers.. A way which he finds clearly spelled out in the Bible in various places.

#2 The pastor does not believe what he is advocating if practiced as he advises is not child abuse as is understood in current case law. The mere fact of using a switch to punish a 17 year old child or any child for that matter is not in and of itself abuse. It is a myth that the use of an implement, a switch, belt, paddle etc is against the law and using them is child abuse. It is not and case law-- that is decisions by appellate courts generally agree it is not abuse. What is abuse is what could result from the use of an implement if not handled properly while corporal punishment is being administered. A heavy leather belt can cause serious bruising that is abuse- a switch on bare skin can cut the skin-- each of those things is abuse-- but merely using the implements is not

#3 Yes a parent who follows the pastor's advice runs the risk of ending up in jail but only if they follow it no further than deciding to use corporal punishment. Additional advice is given on how to use the switch when punishing a teenager.

Let me give you the name of the church-- I think it is a real church located in Nebraska-- La Vista Church of Christ,
Bridget.Ann

Con

First of all, it IS child abuse to hit, slap, or otherwise hurt a person under 18. And if a parent or legal guardian thinks hurting their child as a form of punishment is okay, then they need it institutionalize themselves and child services needs to be called. There is always a better alternative to punish a child without abuse. If there was anything that the child did that he or she actually deserved to be hit, then the parents should blame themselves by raising them that way. I personally don't believe that anything a child does can be fixed by hitting them. It just makes them more violent and it makes them hate their parents or guardians. Anything as bad as hitting your child the law could justify.
bearski

Pro

It may be the advice of most pediatrician, social workers, psychologists,, psychiatrists, and other experts for parents to not use corporal punishment when correcting their children but it is not what the law requires--until you get to the part otherwise hurt-- that's against the law. But hurt is defined as to what it is and what it is not. What is abuse are bruises, lacerations, contusions, fractures, internal injuries. But redness on the buttocks is not

If one is going to abuse a child through unreasonable or excessive corporal punishment one doesn't have to use an implement. The open palm can also work.

Here is the point. The pastor differs from most of the experts in that he believes the use of a switch to punish a older teenager is both effective and not abusive as long as the totality of his advice is followed. I don't know if it is effective or that there aren't better ways but it is not child abuse as defined by current statutory and case law.
Bridget.Ann

Con

First of all, spanking and whipping a child are completely different. Second, if the pastor believes that whipping a child is a good substitute for a less destructive punishment, then he needs to be sent to jail, ad does anyone who hurts or damages a child. Beating or whipping a child can scar that child for life, and not just physically. The child is taught that hitting children is okay.
Posted by Bridget.Ann 11 months ago
Bridget.Ann
@bearski Thank~you.
Posted by bearski 11 months ago
bearski
This was a good debate. At least one of us made good arguments. Give us some votes.
Posted by bearski 11 months ago
bearski
Bridget: Good argument. I think you made some very solid factual points and for the most part avoided exaggeration. The last post listing the injuries the implements can cause was excellent. I argued the pastor's position in the debate but because of the risks plus others which you listed spanking not just beating or whipping is not advisable-- there are other reasons as well-- there are better ways for the most part