Punishment For An Abortion Is the pastor right?

Tree_of_Death has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

A teenage girl as she is about to be executed for aborting her unborn baby is advised by the pastor if she wishes to enter God's Kingdom and avoid Satan's Pit she must genuinely repent. The pastor then tells the executioner. Now do your duty

The debate question involves taking the scenario as stated as factual. In other words refuting it by stating something like abortion is legal is not a proper response to the debate question

The question is:

From a moral and spiritual basis did the pastor respond to the girl correctly.

My position is the girl has committed a terrible crime in the view of the community where she lives and must pay with her life for it. The pastor is concerned that justice be done but is also concerned about the girl's soul and in saving it for eternity from Satan's Pit

I will accept your debate.

My position is that the girl has not committed a terrible crime and must not be executed, and that the pastor was wrong to tell her to repent, as the Bible actually supports abortion (to be elaborated upon in further rounds).

I am not a Christian, but I have some knowledge of the religion as a former Episcopalian. I will attempt to debate as such.

You may post your opening arguments first.

Good luck.

The pastors primary responsibility in this matter is to care for souls, the souls of the girl and of the community. The community places great value on preserving life and especially of the most vulnerable the unborn. For that reason the community believes abortion is murder and requires a woman who allows an abortion to be performed on her body and which results in the death of an unborn baby to be put to death.

The pastor believes allowing abortions to take place unchecked would seriously damage the collective soul of the community. While the pastor accepts for the sake of the community's soul the girl must hang; he doesn't wish for her to spend eternity in Satan's Pit. He therefore informs her of the opportunity given to her from God to enter His Kingdom.

Here I have tried to represent the pastor as trying to serve the spiritual and moral values of the community he represents.

Thank you for joining the debate.

I will argue that it is wrong to execute the girl as well as wrong to tell her that she must repent.

I would first of all like to point out that the Bible supports abortion rights. For example, in Exodus 21:22-25, it says:

“If people are fighting and hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely[a] but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. 23 But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

a. or has a miscarriage"

This is significant because if a fetus was a living being, then the "eye for eye" rule would mean the offender would be executed, right? But it doesn't; it equates the fetus to money (property). This thus proves that a fetus is not alive according to the Bible, and thus abortion is not a sin.

Furthermore, the execution of the girl actually goes against the Bible, as the passage above clearly says that she (or possibly the surgeon who performed the abortion, depending on your interpretation) to pay a fine. The pastor is clearly not doing his duty as a Christian to follow the Bible, which he believes is the word of God.

In addition, Genesis 2:7 also notes that the first human became a living being when he started to breathe; thus implying that life begins at birth. Thus the fetus is not alive yet; thus abortion is not murder.

Since abortion is not a sin as per the Bible, there is no need for her to repent; therefore there is no need to tell her that she is going to spend eternity in Hell if she doesn't repent.

I believe I have refuted all of your points; I look forward to seeing your arguments in the next round

Saving souls is the province of the pastor. And the girl's soul badly needs saving. When her neck snaps and she crosses over into the next world will it be to enter God's Kingdom or to spend eternity in Satan's Pit.

A note: Thank you for debating this topic in the way you have. You have been excellent at it and have presented arguments I was not aware existed. Good ones too.
Posted by bearski 1 month ago
the system is taking a long time to update
Posted by bearski 1 month ago
the first two comments are from a previous version of this debate topic
Posted by bearski 1 month ago
The girl knows she is going to die for aborting her baby. She doesn't know about God but thinks she did nothing wrong having the abortion. Pastor believes she should accept her punishment as ask for forgiveness.
Posted by SJM 1 month ago
Is the argument whether the pastor is right that God may forgive her?