Olimooseman
shockz

Python Vs. Java

shockz
Started: 2/3/2016 Category: Technology

Olimooseman

Pro

Hello! I'm new to this website, but I'd like to start out by asking which is better:

Python, or Java.

I'm for Python, and good luck to whoever wants to debate!
shockz

Con

Ill take Java's side As we are both knew i would like to say good luck
Olimooseman

Pro

Python is easier, and simpler. My starting point is that Python is both cleaner, and more powerful; Python as a language is much, much simpler and powerful in coding than Java. It doesn't have all the itty-bitty nonsense GUIs that Java has, but you could make them yourself! Although Java is more popular and many more people have heard of it, this is because of its marketing.
shockz

Con

Okay lets state it like this Your at home your lazy and you have a project due in 3-4 hours lets say that project is too do coding of some sort Then by all means i recommend python its easy and simple like he said but the real question is. Is it good? Lets go back to the project but instead you have a day or two. I would heavily recommend java. While python Is easier and quicker its more clunky and harder to do exactly what you want while with java you have less lag and although you have to do specifics more its overall better because you arent restricted think of it like this you have a piece of paper and a pencil and your told to draw. Thats python and then lets say the guy next to you gets an array of colors and a huge white board to draw on but the utensil has a tiny bit of yellow on it. Thats java your free to express yourself so again i say your not creative and you have an hour left to finish a coding project use python but if you even have only a day and have a little creativity use java there are no limits to what you can do. with java its your world with python its not
Olimooseman

Pro

So, Python is quicker - but do you really fell that's a bad thing? I agree. Yes, you could use Java if you had more time, and you were used to it as a language. But if you know both languages equally well, and you had 3-4 days, what would you choose? Fast and efficient, or slow and efficient? I know what I would choose.
shockz

Con

okay so normally you would be right it would be better to be quicker. But is it really better to have a sloppy mess? Java you can get it done efficiently and python. Well i mean its quicker i guess? but java is way more effiecent. Let me put it in these terms. Java is a unfinished puzzle with all the correct pieces. While Python is a pile of puzzle pieces in a giant heap each of which are from a different puzzle that you have to try and piece together. So again i say python does get the job done quicker. but java does it 100 times better
Vote Placed by ballpit 1 year ago
ballpit
OlimoosemanshockzTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am a long time user of both languages however I personally find java better. Disregarding this bias however i believe that con made better arguments because when you are talking about a "better" programming language you look for how well it can do what you want to do. Pro accepts that java does what needs to be done to a better degree than python so my vote goes to con on the grounds that python effectively accepted his opponents argument. Neither side wrote a whole lot so it was harder to vote on this than on a larger debate.
Vote Placed by HSamei1999 1 year ago
HSamei1999
OlimoosemanshockzTied
Reasons for voting decision: I know how to code java and do so, but python is something I've only looked at for fun. Confessing that bias, I still choose to vote Con for the following reasons. Pro conceded that java allows for more to be done than python, but takes more effort in the process. Considering that the debate is regarding which better, it is atypical to work on coding an hour or two before it's due, so having time available is the norm. Since Con says java allows for freedom and options, and Pro doesn't say otherwise, I accepted it as fact. Pro's main argument is that it is easier and faster, and Con's main argument is that it allows for more complex tasks. Since whichever is better should be able to do more, java wins as python does not permit that. Time is a factor that is trivial since the reason people program is not to get done quicker, but to complete an intricate function.