harry.egg80
Odotellessa

Quantum Computing Should Be Created

harry.egg80 has forfeited round #4.
Started: 2/15/2017 Category: Technology
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

harry.egg80

Con

I would like to debate with anyone who would like to debate about if quantum computers should be created. I will be arguing as the contender, but I do have some rules.

Rules:
1) No ad hominem, insults, personal attacks
2) The first round will be used only for my opponent to accept my debate and the rounds 2-5 will be used as a 4 round debate.

If any of the rules are violated, the voters should vote for the one who didn't violate them in terms of "conduct"
Odotellessa

Pro

Yes sir, I am more than happy to agree to your terms, even though this should be a place where
what you said should be plain obvious to everyone when debating, or having a simple conversation... always..

I am excited to read your reason why you have ended up in a situation where you are against
an amazing possibility to take the computing to a whole next level.
harry.egg80

Con

I thank my opponent for accepting my argument.

Many people may think quantum computing will be the next breakthrough in technology, but what most people overlook is hacking. The problem that many hackers have is usually time. For example, when brute forcing a passcode it could take hours if the password is complex. As many people know quantum computers make computing much faster and can probably make something like brute forcing a password to take a couple of seconds. Of course, this is a problem because that would mean no one would be safe. Hackers could do this from a close distance or a far distance, and the passwords could be as easy as a wifi password, or the Pentagon's security. Hackers could open this information up to the public so that everyone can see it. Even if the site does get taken down there is always the deep web which is untraceable and hard to find.

I hand this over to my opponent.
Odotellessa

Pro

Ah yes, you are correct, everything that can be used for good, can and will also be used for evil.

Do you agree that the pros of quantum computing are far greater than it's cons though,
for example modelling molecules to helping us understand complex systems such as our brain
and use that information to create cures for diseases at the moment is just not possible?
http://www.sciencealert.com...

Helping us to simulate the laws of narute to the point it just might be a big part of figuring out the theory of everything?
harry.egg80

Con

I do agree with my opponent that things can be fixed with quantum computing, but hackers can easily destroy the research that is put into it. For example, let's say that someone is doing research on a cure for cancer. A hacker can hack into the data to steal or change it. There would be no safety because no password is something a quantum computer can hack easily and fast. For example, the article "Your Encryption Will Be Useless Against Hackers with Quantum Computers" at https://motherboard.vice.com... states "Applying such quantum states to efforts to crack encryption could be a game-changer. For example, going through all the possibilities of number combinations to crack a code that is, say, 400 digits long is quite the feat for a classical computer. But for quantum computers, blackboard experiments have indicated that they should be powerful enough to do this." So therefore if someone wanted to they could sabotage a whole entire project like one my opponent just named.

I hand this over to my opponent.
Odotellessa

Pro

I'll try to make this simple..

Is hacking truly your only worry that prevents you from accepting quantum computers?
Because you can always use computers off the lines. Which nullifies your worries entirely.
Posted by harry.egg80 1 year ago
harry.egg80
Sorry I was not able to finish this argument because I was away for the three days that I had.
Posted by harry.egg80 1 year ago
harry.egg80
No, it's only in beta form the real version has not been created yet even though google and Microsoft are working on it.
Posted by Sovcody2 1 year ago
Sovcody2
It already exists.