Latinking1
dynamicduodebaters

Quebec City should have its own Hockey Team

dynamicduodebaters
Started: 3/10/2015 Category: Sports

Latinking1

Pro

Quebec has been home to many NHL teams before, but none have actually stayed full on in Quebec. It deserves to have its own team.
dynamicduodebaters

Con

Alright, thanks for creating this debate, and I sure hope it’s a good one. I will be playing devil’s advocate, but am more than glad to switch sides if I have to. As mario says: “Let's-a go!”

Rebuttal.

“Quebec has been home to many NHL teams before, but none have actually stayed full on in Quebec. It deserves to have its own team.”

I will refute this in a few ways.

1. You say that Quebec has had many teams before but none have stayed. Look at my second point. I say that this is EXACTLY OUR POINT. They have TRIED to have teams and have both greatly failed.

2. You say it deserves to have its own team. How? I, as side Con, am showing you why there should not be one, were as Pro has given no support whatsoever.

ARGUMENT 1: Lack of fan base/financial problems.

According to a 2011 study, Quebec City has only 696,946 people {1}. How can you sufficiently build a fanbase of of THAT? To get at least 16K people at you games, you would have to get at least 1/43 of your whole city to a) go pay at and average $60 a ticket {2} and b) How many people are actually fans of hockey teams? It is ridiculous to assume that more than 1/43 of the city would go to the games.

ARGUMENT 2: Quebec has already tried to have a NHL team before- unsuccessfully.

Have you ever heard of the Quebec Bulldogs? Unlikely, because they existed only 95 years ago. They only operated for one year, until they became Hamilton Tigers (Not the CFL team) which only lasted for five years.

How about the Quebec Nordiques? (most likely) They have become the Colorado Avalanche, only lasting for 16 years until relocating and becoming much more successful there. Quebec does not have any Major or Minor pro teams, so why should they have one? {3}

Thanks.

DDD

{1} http://en.wikipedia.org...

{2} http://www.statista.com...

{3} http://en.wikipedia.org...
Latinking1

Pro

Latinking1 forfeited this round.
Latinking1

Pro

Latinking1 forfeited this round.
Posted by StalinIncarnate 1 year ago
StalinIncarnate
Why? There's already the Canadiens. There isn't a need for new tines into the NHL.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
Latinking1dynamicduodebatersTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture