coolriser092
Tatarize

Queen is easily the most popular and influential band in the history of the post-Beatle era.

coolriser092

Pro

Queen has had a number of great international hits that have risen to dominate charts in more than 15 different concerts. Queen is also known for their audience participation involvement during concerts, making the crowd feel at unison with their music.

"We are the Champions" was voted the most recognizable song in the world (internationally.) Bohemian Rhapsody was also another of their major hits that stayed at #1 in the charts for two weeks.

Though bands such as Led Zeppelin or Kiss have been extremely popular, the fact remains that no other band has even come close to matching the legend of Queen.

Have I also mentioned that Freddie Mercury was voted the #1 male singer of all-time?
Tatarize

Con

This argument is clearly assembled in such a way to attempt to prohibit pre-Beatles bands. However, the influence of a band is throughout history. The phrasing of the topic demands not that the band be beyond the Beatles era, but the influence. Further I argue that the band, The Beatles, is not "Beatle", and as such the area contended is perhaps a bit ambiguous.

I argue that if accepted as a prohibition of all bands after the Beatles, that Queen does not qualify as post Beatles-era. The Beatles, Harrison's "I Me Mine", recorded January 3rd, 1970 and released on the Let It Be Album was the final song of the Beatles. Queen however formed in late 1969. The band Queen formed prior to the breakup of the Beatles. They are a band in the post-Beatles era.

Many polls on exactly this question do not find that Queen is the most influential band:
http://digitaldreamdoor.com...

For example, asks this exact question:
Elvis Presley
2. The Beatles
3. Chuck Berry
4. James Brown
5. Bob Dylan
6. Buddy Holly
7. Jimi Hendrix
8. Ray Charles
9. The Beach Boys
10. Little Richard
11. Aretha Franklin
12. Led Zeppelin
13. Sam Cooke
14. Stevie Wonder
15. Pink Floyd
16. Clyde McPhatter
17. Bill Haley & The Comets
18. Fats Domino
19. The Velvet Underground
20. Bo Diddley
21. The Rolling Stones
22. The Who
23. Johnny Otis
24. Black Sabbath
25. The Byrds
26. The Kinks
27. Prince
28. Neil Young
29. The Everly Brothers
30. Sonny Til & The Orioles
31. Eddie Cochran
32. Sly and The Family Stone
33. The Supremes
34. The Ramones
35. Cream
36. Big Joe Turner
37. David Bowie
38. Link Wray
39. The Clash
40. Janis Joplin
41. The Shirelles
42. Marvin Gaye
43. George Clinton & Parliament/Funkadelic
44. The "5" Royales
45. The Sex Pistols
46. Nirvana
47. Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions
48. Otis Redding
49. R.E.M.
50. Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers
51. Roy Orbison
52. Joni Mitchell
53. The Stooges
54. Carl Perkins
55. Van Halen
56. Patti Smith
57. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
58. The Yardbirds

All beat Queen coming in at 59th place.

I further contend that though, Queen may in fact, be the most popular and influential band from the 1970s. This cannot be "easily" established.

Popularity may be established via record sales. As such, a look at record sales finds that even ABBA and Celine Dion outsell Queen.

My arguments are as follows:
Influence such as that of the Beatles is felt in the post-Beatles era, by not only the Beatles, but from other bands.
The phrasing of the above topic does not cite any known band. No band is called "Beatle".
Queen formed during the Beatles Era, and is therefore exempt.
Polls show that the Beatles, as well as 57 OTHER bands are more influential.
Queen may be the most influential, but due to record sales cannot be most popular.
coolriser092

Pro

First of all, if your gonna argue topicality then thats great and all, but I think the underlying message of this topic is clear. I did not add an "s" to Beatle- but i don't believe that will make much of a difference.

1) Your polls: who the hell made them? There is no citation of the author listed on the page. Therefore, I can safely assume that this is a biased piece of evidence that should be disregarded. Also, that website was updated on 4-17-05, which is 2 YEARS ago! These polls are misleading- Queen was placed way below than they should have been.

2)Queen DOES qualify as post-Beatles era: a quote from Wikipedia states,
"1970–present:
Shortly before and after the official dissolution of the group, all four Beatles released solo albums, including Lennon's John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, McCartney's McCartney, Starr's Sentimental Journey, and Harrison's All Things Must Pass."

George Harrison's "Let It Be" was recorded without John Lennon (http://en.wikipedia.org...). In addition, John Lennon announced his departure from the band in September of 1969, BEFORE Queen was formed.

3) Popularity: As of 2005, according to The Guinness Book of World Records, Queen albums have spent a total of 1,322 weeks or twenty-seven years on the United Kingdom album charts; more time than any other musical act including The Beatles and Elvis Presley. (http://news.scotsman.com...)

I think this answers your argument on popularity- Queen was the only band in the WORLD to ever achieve this feat.

(http://en.wikipedia.org...)has a list of artist who believed they were influenced the most by Queen, including Anthrax, Ben Folds Five,[45] Boston, Blind Guardian,[46] Def Leppard,[47] The Darkness, Extreme,[48] Foo Fighters, The Germs, The Go Go's, Davey Havok, The Killers,[49] Steve Vai,[50] Guns N' Roses,[51]Helloween,[52]Iron Maiden,[53]Judas Priest,[54]Kansas,[55] Metallica,[56] George Michael, Marilyn Manson, Kaiser Chiefs, Muse, Mika,[57]My Chemical Romance,[58] Nine Inch Nails, Panic! at the Disco, Radiohead, The Smashing Pumpkins, Switches, Max Cavalera,[59][60] Styx,[61], Sweet,[62], and Dragonforce.

Ironically, many of these bands on your poll were placed above Queen lol!
Tatarize

Con

Okay. I concede a number of those arguments. The S at the end of Beatle isn't required. You are quite right that they are most selling and I concede that they are extremely popular. And there may not be an overlap between Queen and the official split of the Beatles. However, the one argument you didn't address is perhaps the strongest and most obvious.

Influence such as that of the Beatles is felt in the post-Beatles era. You cannot gauge the influence of a band based on whether or not they formed prior to some event, you can however show their influence within a given period of time. I will concede all the influence the Beatles had prior to 1970 (which, in itself, is significant) and yet strongly contend that the influence exerted by the Beatles in the post-Beatle period (1970-2007) is easily greater than Queen. And even if you argue that it is not easily greater than, you are still hard pressed to argue that the Beatles' influence in the post-Beatle period is "easily" less than Queen. In fact, I daresay the limit to Post-Beatle influence was strictly because you knew that the Beatles have been strongly influencing, however even the influence they exerted after their break-up is more than enough to give Queen a run for their money.

Queen's influence in the post-Beatle period is less than the Beatles' influence in the same period, even if one discounts their influence while the band was together. This suffices to show that Queen is not "easily the most influential band".
Posted by theitalianstallion 5 years ago
theitalianstallion
Man...I wish I was a member 12 months ago so I could've debated this one. I know just who I would have used too; Led Zeppelin.
Posted by Tatarize 6 years ago
Tatarize
No. But, I've debated in less formal settings for years. Usually where I have a clear advantage oddly. It's pretty easy to argue that religion is hogwash or Iraq isn't going so well.

I should have stood by my initial reaction of not touching this with a ten foot pole. Most of my earlier arguments were basically persnickety (You left off the S!). I do think that the Beatles have been more popular than Queen even after they broke up. And I suppose can claim that your burden is a lot more than mine because you said the argument was "easily" true.

I still voted for you. Arguing against queen I might as well argue that puppies should be butchered for sport.
Posted by coolriser092 6 years ago
coolriser092
yeah i realize how biased this topic is haha... but Tatarize u made some excellent arguments. just wondering, have u ever debated at any tournaments before?
Posted by Mdal 6 years ago
Mdal
Tatarize I am going to vote for you, but I am also going to hate myself for doing it...
I freaking LOVE Queen...
Bu
Posted by Tatarize 6 years ago
Tatarize
I'm not losing because of my lack of skill in debate. I'm losing because biased queen fans are all voting for you! What a crock. Hell, even I voted for you. Bias I say! BIAS!
Posted by gonovice 6 years ago
gonovice
Queen is the most amazing band ever!!! they are so influential to alot of bands today that EVERYBODY loves to listen to
Posted by coolriser092 6 years ago
coolriser092
well...i was disregarding the beatles influence... just any other band.
Posted by DrAcula 6 years ago
DrAcula
lol, wish the guy that created gloomy sunday was born later, lol, i'd try and argue that, but it was in 1936.

you know a "song" is influential when it drives pretty much anyone that listens to it to suicide
Posted by whitesoxfan450 6 years ago
whitesoxfan450
yep.......Queen is the greatest....won't debate that!

Although Rush, and Journey are great too. DON't STOP BELEVIN!
Posted by repete21 6 years ago
repete21
how many days do you think it will be till someone joins that disagrees and is brave enough to go up against the whole population of the website lol
Vote Placed by m93samman 3 years ago
m93samman
coolriser092TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 4 years ago
Tatarize
coolriser092TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by DeadLeaves93 5 years ago
DeadLeaves93
coolriser092TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by theitalianstallion 5 years ago
theitalianstallion
coolriser092TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by nikogotutnet 6 years ago
nikogotutnet
coolriser092TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by behindblueeyes 6 years ago
behindblueeyes
coolriser092TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by redinbluestate 6 years ago
redinbluestate
coolriser092TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by mrmatt505 6 years ago
mrmatt505
coolriser092TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by Johnicle 6 years ago
Johnicle
coolriser092TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by Whiskyclone 6 years ago
Whiskyclone
coolriser092TatarizeTied