Queen is the Best Rock Band of All Time

Started: 3/17/2016 Category: Music

First round- acceptance
Second round - rebuttal
Third round - closing statement

I'll be arguing that the band Queen is the best band of all time. Con must give reasons against my claim. You don't necessarily have to bring up other rock bands and claim they're better, but it would make the debate more interesting. Thanks.

I accept and will be arguing that Queen is not the best rock band of all time

Thank you for accepting my debate! This will be my first debate that isn't so serious, so they will be fun. If you don't mind, I'm changing the structure of the debate.
First round - acceptance
Second round - opening statements
Third round - rebuttal

We can't really make the second round rebuttals if we don't have anything to rebut. Sorry for the change. Let's get started!

First of all, let me bring up Freddie Mercury. This man made miracles for the band. He did the lead vocals, some backup vocals, and played the guitar and piano. Even though he had a baritone speaking voice, his singing range included F2- E6, to F6 and F5. Mercury had over a four octave range while most people have only a two or three octave range.

Mercury also wrote a majority of Queen's songs. This includes 'Bohemian Rhapsody', 'Somebody to Love', 'Don't Stop Me Now', 'Under Pressure', 'We Are The Champions', 'We Will Rock You', 'Another One Bites The Dust', etc. I can go on forever of all the songs he's written for Queen! These are some of the most iconic songs of all time.

Second, I will bring up the other band members, Brian Way, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon. Way provided back-up vocals and played the piano, Taylor also sang back-up vocals and played the drums, and Deacon played guitar. Without these three, what would Queen be like? Way, Taylor, and Deacon together were a firm foundation and walls for Mercury, who was the capping roof.

Without them, we wouldn't have back-up vocals or most instrumentals, which made Queen songs shine with pure excellence. Can you imagine 'Somebody To Love' or Bohemian Rhapsody' without those enthralling back-up vocals and blood-pumping instrumentals?

Thirdly, their stage presence was bold and exciting. If the vocal performances and instruments made a complete house for Queen, their live shows were the fancy interior design to top it all off.

Mercury was the most outrageous out of the four. He wore strange outfits confidently and pranced around the stage with tremendous vigor and energy. It was incredibly contagious. Just listening to the live recordings with no visuals assured you that he loved every minute of it. It was amazing that Mercury still performed when he was in excruciating pain inflicted by AIDS.

Lastly, their range was far reaching and fantastic. I'm not just talking about the vocal range, but the variety of songs Queen took on was impressive. Queen achieved the perfect balance between good and commercial music.
1) 'We Will Rock You'/'We Are The Champions' are a good example of high-quality arena rock.
2) There's hard rock moving towards speed metal with 'Stone Cold Crazy'.
3) Complex art rock in 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.
4) Pop rock in all of Hot Space (Specifically 'Under Pressure')
5) Funk in 'Fun It'.
6) Melodic rock in 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'.

I can bet that someone reading this started humming these at least one of these songs and will have it stuck in your head for the rest of the day. (I'm not sorry.)

Even though you always knew it was Queen performing these songs, it was always fresh and new when you heard Queen attempting another style. If you listen to the album Queen's Greatest Hits then you can point to which ones stood out because of their unique tone, lyrics, themes, and more.

This is what makes Queen different from any other band in history and my reasons for classifying them as the best rock band of all time.

Thank you. I look forward to hearing the opening statements of CON.

The change of rules is absolutely fine. I'm typing this on my phone so please excuse any typos because I'm sure there will be :) I have a huge respect for Queen and I also love their songs so please don't take what I argue the wrong way.

I feel it is important never to state that something is better than another outright simply because there are differences. For example: I love EDM and heavy metal. EDM tends to have no vocals, and focuses on electronic sounds. Is Queen therefore better because it contains singing? No. In a similar way, but constituting a very different problem is heavy metal. Some heavy metal contains screaming. Screaming requires a lot of practice and developed skill to be able to do. Many heavy metal artist have a huge range of screaming ranges as well as large singing ranges and are therefore able to produce a wide variety of vocal ability, which is very interesting to hear. Freddy has a bigger singing ranges, yes but he has a screaming range of presumably 0.

True, Freddy had no need to scream, but I'm useing it as an example to show that what is considered better by some is considered none necessary by others.

The Beatles had much more influence on society than Queen due to its advantage of it's troubled era, the Beatles had more influence on music as a whole and introduced aspects respected by queen like the use of odd sounds and different vocal types. If you listsen to artists Luke the Beatles or producers like Elvis you can definitely hear why they had an impact and, while I'm not saying Queen had no impact on music because they did too, I'm saying that other artist like the Beatles did more to set up a musical structure for popular rock in the future. Queen follows a structure that is not unique for the time.

In conclusion, it is impossible to say that a band is the best because there are simply too many factors.

Thank you for your opening statements. It's perfectly fine that you're using a mobile device.

Yes, while I see your points, I think Queen is the best rock band on their own merits. I'm a fan of Abba, so I'll compare Queen and Abba for the sake of proving a point.

Abba is classified mostly as bubblegum pop music, while Queen, though taking a variety of styles, is classic rock. There is a clear difference between the two, but both are considered great bands, even if Abba doesn't get as much recognition.

I looked up a list for the best movies of all time, according to IMDB. This is what I found in the first ten alone:
1) The Shawshank Redemption
2) The Godfather
3) The Godfather: Part II
4) The Dark Knight
5) Schindler's List
6) Pulp Fiction
7) 12 Angry Men
8) The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
9) The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
10) Fight Club

If you at least know what these movies are about, then you'll see that they're very different. Relating to my point, even movies (or bands) in the same genre can have opposite direction and tone.

And different genres like pop and country? People are still able to judge which is better than the other based on its own merits rather than just the range of the singer and the behind-the-scenes production.

While Christina Aguilera can definitely it high notes that Johnny Cash can't reach, he brings thoughtfulness, charisma, and that oddly soothing raspy voice to draw you in. For a band to have both, like Queen does, is simply fantastic.

Relating back to the movies list, how is one to judge what The Dark Knight does better than Pulp Fiction? I would say what they both have, what they exceed at, and the unique things they bring to the movie in turn. The same can definitely be said for music.

Lastly, you're right that The Beatles and Elvis had a bigger impact. For this I'll be comparing movies again, but they aren't on the list. They will be Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I'm comparing these two because they fit your example of Queen vs. The Beatles.

While Raiders of the Lost Ark may have done it first and had more influence doesn't mean that Last Crusade can't be better. Last Crusade may not have been unique for the time, but in some aspects, it's better than Raiders of the Lost Ark.

With this, I say there aren't too many factors to be accounted for when judging music, as other media outlets have done this without difficulty.

True, there is media that judges what people consider are the best movies and therefore best bands out there. But this is very much subject to change. For example, it is very difficult to consider on a wide scale what the WORST movie of all time is. If you think about the logic's; judging what is considered worse follows the same principles as judging what is considered best. Do we look at this an atrocity of a film and judge it on animation quality? Voice acting quality? Storyline quality? What if said movie has extremely good voice actors but a really bad storyline? What makes a movie truly the worst? What Makes a movie truly the best? What makes a band the best? Yes. A wide range of ability in a band perhaps even ability which is not necessarily needed could make the band the greatest. But you have to have a factor you can judge in proportion to all other bands. It's not plausible.

But but buuuuut but but!! Judging what bands you personally like, what bands you have personally fallen deeply in love with is extremely fun. My favourite bands is impending doom, a stark contrast from the likes of Abba. However, do I consider impending doom to be the best in the world? No I don't because in practicality I cannot. To a certain degree I also would not want them to be.

Let's look for a second at musical pieces from the past. Beethoven's 5th symphony. Green Sleeves. These songs have tested the wear of time and Green Sleeves is about 400 years old. Perhaps we can only judge a truly great band when we have heard how well their music ages and I'm not talking about 40-50 years I'm talking 400-500 years. Then I would be happy to say that Queen is the best band ever, because that is the largest factor you can compare in music.'s not possible within ones lifetime.

In my stark opinion. I believe that to state outright that a band is best is not fair because music has a wide range of genres and types that different people enjoy. I think it's wonderful that you love such a inspiring band, and I am by no means saying Queen is not one of the greatest bands ever but I can't lower my defences safely to state fairly that Queen is the best ever.

Thank you for your time :)
Posted by missbailey8 7 months ago
No, no, it's just fine. I would've loved to see the other argument but yours was very good considering the situation of losing the other one.
Posted by Dr.ReaperMan 7 months ago
I want to apologize for a rushed con argument. I had written a longer better one, but my phone crashed and I lost it. I was upset, and so I feel I didn't make the new argument as clear or as fair as it could have been so I'm very sorry for that.
Posted by Quadrunner 7 months ago
Good luck Con. Your definitely the underdog here
Posted by TheDom275 7 months ago
Posting to catch the rest of this as I won't accept it myself.