Quentin Tarantino Is A Terrible Filmmaker

Started: 11/21/2013 Category: Movies

A filmmaker is a storyteller.
A storyteller is a communicator.
The foundation of excellent communication is knowing, and respecting, your audience.

I put forward that Quentin Tarantino does not respect his audience and is, therefore, a terrible filmmaker. Tell my why I am wrong.

Round 1: Accept. Broadly and briefly explain your position (as I have done above).
Round 2: Detailed argument (NO rebuttals allowed)
Round 3: Rebuttal

Thank you for the debate. I graciously accept.

I will be arguing the Con stance that Quentin Tarantino is not a terrible filmmaker. Not much else for me to say in this round. Take it away.

Thank you for accepting! I'm not arguing that Tarantino's films don't make money but that his movies are well-scipted garbage. A good storyteller draws the audience into a world they've created and tells an entertaining & relevent tale. They're able to do this because they know their audience and respect ("to show regard or consideration for") them. Tarantino does no such thing, he makes movies to showcase his talents for scripting and violence, but with no themes to connect the two. His movies are "just a bunch of stuff happening".

Furthermore, there is evidence that Tarantino himself agrees with me because his movies invariably come packaged with excuses: PULP FICTION is non-chronological for no reason except to mask it's going nowhere-ness. KILL BILL & DEATH PROOF were a bad movies "on purpose". DJANGO UNCHAINED uses the glossy historical setting to make the excuse.

Tarantino may have a talent for scripting and making excuses, but he is a terrible storyteller and filmmaker.

Thank you for your argument. I will now give mine. My main argument for Quentin Tarantino not being a terrible filmmaker stems from his countless achievements as a filmmaker.

(1) Pulp Fiction won the Palme d'Or at the 1994 Cannes Film Festival and was nominated for seven Oscars, winning one for Best Original Screenplay.
(2) In 2005, Quentin Tarantino won the Icon of the Decade Award at the 10th Empire Awards.
(3) Reservoir Dogs was given the Critic's Award at the 4th Yubari International Fantastic Film Festival in 1993
(4) In 2008, Quentin Tarantino was honored with the Filmmaker on the Edge Award at the Provincetown International Film Festival.
(5) In 2009, his film Inglourious Basterds was nominated for eight Oscars including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Original Screenplay, winning one for Best Supporting Actor.

I could go on but your 1000 character limit is killing me. Anyway I argue that a filmmaker who recieves all these achievements cannot possibly be terrible a one.

Z4RQUON forfeited this round.

Opponent forfeit.
Posted by Agnosticgirl 2 years ago
This is ridiculous. Tarantino is a genius.