Atheist73
NiamC

Questions for Christians

Atheist73

Con

Hello,
This won't be a classical debate, but will be a series of 35 questions to a Christian that will apply, and accepts these foundations for himself:

-I believe in God
-I am a Christian
-I think everything the bible says is true
-I believe in heaven and hell
-I believe heaven is reached through salvation (meaning only believing Christians go to heaven and all believing Christians go to heaven)
-I believe Christianity is moral.

I am an atheist, and I am trying to understand the Christian logic and morality, and I would thank very much whoever accepts this debate.
Round 1 - acceptance and notes
Round 2 - 15 questions
Round 3- 10 questions
Round 4- 10 questions
Round 5- Conclusion
NiamC

Pro

Here we are.
As said, first round is acceptance.

I would like to say that I am not exactly the most 'devout' christian. I used to be agnostic for a long while, but I chose christianity as my faith (I do not want to go into to much detail...) It was either this or Buddhism.

I look forward to my opponents questions. (please don't be too off-topic)
Atheist73

Con

Hello,
I'll jump right into the questions:

1) Is Anne Frank in hell ?

2) How about other kids? If a boy dies at age 3, and he comes from a Muslim family, does he go to hell?

3) How can you be sure Ra (Egyptian God and the first monotheistic one) doesn't exist?

4) According to Christianity, hell is for non-Christians, and is supposed to be a very evil place, to make people suffer. It doesn't matter what they did. It doesn't matter what they believed, it doesn't matter who they really were. It's just like Hitler's death and concentration camps. Do you think it's moral to believe in a Nazi God ?

5) What is your #1 reason you believe in the Christian God?

6) If non-Christians go to hell anyway, does it matter what they do with their lives? Can you see an old Islamic man raising money to help the poor people in the neighborhood and say: what does it matter, he's going to hell anyway?

7) Do mountains have a life meaning? How about monkeys? How about babies?

8) Do you have non-Christian friends or loved ones? If no, why? If yes, how can you believe in a religion that tells you these are evil people who will be going to hell?

9) Are earthquakes, tornadoes, accidents etc. are caused by God? And if yes, why are there earthquakes, tornadoes and accidents?

10) If God has a master plan, why bother praying?

11) Does God talk or talked to you?

12) If god told you to kill your son/daughter/mother, would you do it?

13) If god told you to kill me, would you do it?

14) If you were born in Syria, do you think you would be a Muslim or a Christian?

15) If someone would have hurt you, would you hurt him or his newborn child? Because God, according to the bible, punished David's newborn son, because David slept with his mother while married to another man. (some claim he even raped her).

I'm looking forward to your entry, thank you for accepting this debate.
NiamC

Pro

Hello again, I would like to say that I do not believe everything in the Bible.
Lets go!

1) Yes.
According to the bible, anyone who is not Christian, would go to hell when they die. I don't exactly belief in a hell, but according to the bible, Anne Frank would have gone to hell because she is of Jewish faith and did not accept Jesus as the saviour. If there is a hell, then only those who have truly sinned would stay there. There are no records of Anne Frank ever sinning, but only suffering.

I suppose that you could call me an 'Alltheist', because I believe that that those who have suffered will be rewarded. Those who have not suffered but have not sinned, will be rewarded. I believe that those who sin, will be punished in some form or another. Anyway from what I have said, I believe that Anne Frank is in hell (being non-Christian), but does not deserve to be in hell and should be punished because she, like many other Jews, suffered under the control of Hitler (who would be in Hell).

2) Unfortunately YES
like I said in my previous paragraph, anyone who is not Christian, will go to hell according to what the Bible says. I think that this is unfair because non-Christian people should not go to Hell for having another faith, but only if they have not sinned. I LOVE EVERYBODY

In the case which you have presented to me, the boy is another religion (Muslim) but has died at a young age. This boy should not go to hell because 1)people of all races, religions and sexual orientations, should be equal. 2) This boy has died at a young age and has not experienced full life as others have, he should be rewarded for this in which he has suffered. 3) This boy is so young that he would not have been able to develop moral principals of life, so if he had committed a petty sin, he would be excused. Most likely, this person would not have sinned in his short life, so I see no reason why he should go to hell. Unfortunately, he would go to hell (he shouldn't though). This is why I don't' completely agree with Christianity.

3) Ra was/is an ancient Egyptian deity (apparently the Sun god).
There is plenty of evidence to support that there was the existence of ancient Egyptian civilisation and that there is evidence to support the past belief of this deity's existence (idols, shrines, artefact's etc.)

This may be the case but, there is no actual evidence to support the existence/ past existence of such a deity.
To conclude, I would like to say that the belief of this god's existence existed, but I do not actually believe that this deity actually existed.

4) It is definitely not moral to belief in a Nazi God. I believe that everyone was born equal and everyone should be treated by god equally. To believe in a God that persecutes against a race or creed etc is just stupid.

This is why Christianity is so complicated.

5) My main reason for believing in a Christian God is that in the situations that I have needed help in my life, I have asked for help (but also as a sign of God's existence) and to me, these calls were somewhat answered by the results of the events (this could just be luck). Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

6) Only sinners should go to Hell (and not because of their religion). I will answer this question according to what you have said. Even if non-Christian people knew that they were going to hell because of their faith, they should still commit good deeds towards their neighbours and the rest of the world and not just descend into anarchy and start killing people people because they are going to go to hell anyway. This is just basically a question of morals and conscience.
If I was another faith, I would do good deeds for others because it is the right thing and I would rather live with the feeling of accomplishment rather than having a conscience after sinning.

7) Everything in life has a meaning and that each person/ object should fulfill their purpose and meaning in life. I treat everything and everyone equal. Mountains, animals and trees etc were created by God somehow and therefore have a meaning.
Weird fact: I am musician and I love music and playing music with all my heart. I care for my violin with so much respect and love to the degree that I will use it, but I would treat it like a Quran or Guru Granth Sahib etc. I love my violin so much that I treat it like a human (I play it carefully, I always put it in a case to protect it, I try to maintain it in its original state as much as possible ( it is very old), I will always clean the violin from dust and fingerprints etc on a daily basis. This may seem weird, but this has a story behind it.

8) I have many non-Christian friends and loved ones. This is because I respect all but also because I live in a greatly multi-cultural area and I go to a school with many different cultures and backgrounds etc. I don't want to believe that the people I love and care for, would go to hell. This is why I don't fully agree with Christianity.

10) I do not believe that natural disasters are caused by God. My ideal religion would be one where everyone is equal, god caused the Big Bang, I believe that god caused the big bang, but is not in control of occurrences on Earth and that they are caused naturally by physics etc...

11) No
God has never talked to me or talks to me. If he did, I would sh*t myself.

12) I would never even consider killing anyone, even if God told me to.
If I really had to, I would lead up to doing it with the hope that God would stop me and reward me for following his command. Kinda like when Jacob was told to kill his son Isaac, but was stopped by god.

13)This answer is just basically just what I said in question 12. I would never kill anyone.

14) Well, this is a complicated question. there are many factors e.g. location, family and religion. The majority of religion in Syria is Islam, so there is a higher chance that I would be a Muslim.

15)No, this is just a question based on morals. If someone does something bad to me, I would not follow the 'law' of Tit-for-Tat and do what they did to me to them. If I was slapped by someone aggressively, I would not do the same to him/her.

Man, these questions are complicated to answer and really made me think. Don't do that to me lol.

I look forward to the next set of questions.

Me
The Bible
https://bible.org...
Atheist73

Con

Let me start by saying that most of your answers contradict Christianity. It looks like you're clever and moral, and the only reason for you to believe in God is simply because it's easier to. My questions, I think, would have made a lot more impact on Christians who really believe everything the bible says, and are more religious.
Before I started this debate, I made the list of 35 questions. As you accepted the challenge, 19 of them were ruled out because of what you said in the first round (which contradicts my terms). I came up with new questions, most of them regarding the previous ones, and my main purpose is for you to understand that Christianity is not moral (like all other religions) nor logical.

16) I hope I'm not making false assessment, but I don't think you're pro-war, but your faith is. How does that work together?
If you need any proof, let me quote the new testament, Matthew 10, 34-39

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law"
a man"s enemies will be the members of his own household. '

17) You said you chose Christianity over Buddhism. Have you thought about Atheism?

18) Christianity is sexist. If you think this is wrong, let me quote again:
'When Jesus came into Peter"s house, he saw Peter"s mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever. 15 He touched her hand and the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him.' (Matthew 8, 15)
Jesus comes, heals, and then the woman, who was just healed from her fever, serves him.
And that's just one example.

19) Your main reason for your belief in God is that when you needed help, things just worked out ? (if I got it right). This is a very silly and even immoral claim if you think about it! I apologize if I misunderstood what you were saying, but this reason actually suggests that when things DON'T work out, it's the result of God too. But of course, when something bad happened, you didn't blame God, didn't you ? And most importantly, it means that God REALLY loves, for example, criminals who were never caught, some Nazis who lived a full life and died without sentence, but it also means God REALLY hates the sick, the poor, the unfortunate, and the unlucky, the Africans, and the 6 MILLION who died during the holocaust, which of course, contradicts Christianity and logic.

20) Your heaven-hell reasoning is somewhat logical, but Christianity doesn't say that. You can't call yourself a Christian if you don't agree with Christianity. Why do you call yourself a Christian though ?

21) Have you read the bible?

22) Have you read the new testament?

23) If you don't believe all things in the bible are correct, then why are they written? Are they lies?

24) Natural disasters weren't caused by God, but God created the universe and the big bang... which causes natural disasters - that's your point? And let's say I accept your completely illogical statement, why doesn't God stop natural disasters from happening?

25) What aspects of Christianity do you AGREE with?

26) AGAIN - READ THE BIBLE! It was Abraham, not Jacob. Now to the question: Abraham didn't know God was going to stop him from murdering his son. He really was going to do it. And the fact that he WAS willing to do it, is a sign for his complete trust and love in God, which is accepted as good in Christianity. This is MAD. I see it as a sign for ignorance, blind faith and stupidity. This is a story told to CHILDREN. Is this moral? How can you be a part of a religion that supports this?

27) If you would be a Muslim living in Syria, and it turned out that Christianity is the 'right religion' - you would be sent to hell. Is that fair and just? Or is the whole heaven-hell thing just a simple ingenious trick into leading people into Christianity - by making them believe they are the chosen one? (Nazi again!!!)

28) Would you admit that you believe in God just because it's easier for you, and not because of reasoning, logic or proof?

29) According to my questions and your answers, do you really believe in God now?

30) I have decided to ask you 30 questions only, and now I would like to add a few extra material (you can read it after you write your following entry) that I think you should read in your spare time:

https://www.youtube.com...
This is a YouTube channel of a great american guy named Hemant Mehta (atheist obviously). He uploads really great videos, my recommendation is that you watch, especially, the video of '78 questions for Christians' - that was the inspiration for this debate, and I also took a few questions from there. Also, the 11 Gruesome bible stories, is a great episode too.

https://www.youtube.com...
a darkmatter2525 video, that is worth every second of watching

The bible - a very convincing book that makes you understand that it is, to quote Einstein,' an incarnation of the most childish superstitions'

Go to church - I know, sounds like the exact opposite, but if you open your mind and hear what is said with a judgmental point of you, this will give you a lot of things to think about.

Me. You can ask me any question in the world about this topic.

I enjoyed reading your answers to my questions, I want to thank you for taking this seriously, and also for your fast entries.

*To all people in the comments - after this debate will be finished, I will open another one with the name: Questions for Christians (2), to hear another Christian's opinion. More information will be given in the last round.
NiamC

Pro

Terribly sorry, I have been awfully busy. I have looked at these questions, and my opponent has really made me think about this. In terms of Question 29: I think that I would believe in God to less of a degree. I think Buddhism would perhaps make more sense. I really need to think this over.

Anyway, thank you for these questions. This has been interesting. I don't think that this would count as a debate, so please don't vote on this.

End

Atheist73

Con

I just want to say thank you Niam, and if you ever want to ask me questions, don't hesitate.
And to all people who look at this:
Tomorrow I will start a new debate, Questions for Christians (2).
You are all welcome to accept the challenge.
NiamC

Pro

Bump.

End
NiamC

Pro

Good show, chaps!

End
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
@ Demosthenes: The reason there is always and answer when it comes to questioning Theists about God is Apologetics. God botherers have been making stuff up for thousands of years to cover all non-believers questions. Some of those Pro has been trying to dig out.
But from the fallacious arguments like Anselm and Aquinas who created the Ontological and Cosmological arguments for God, to modern clowns like William Lane Craig.
Here we now consider the art of Apologetics as using lies to hide lies that have been discovered by non-believers.
Essentially Apologetics is the Art of Producing Porkies to obfuscate previous Porkies.
So we in my community regard Apologists like William Lane Craig as purely Porky Producers.
Reading his Blogs and viewing his debates confirms our labeling of him.
Theology is by definition "Pondering or Understanding The Mind Of God".
Since nobody really knows the Mind of God and most literature used in the modern era concerning Theology has been composed by Apologists, then:
Theology is really just Pondering Porkies!

Many of the answers from Christians confirms this Observation by my Philosopher Colleagues.
Posted by witheringtrees 2 years ago
witheringtrees
Eeww! I don't understand Buddhism. I have similar thoughts as Demosthenes and would also like to hitch a debate with you! You tend to be popular, huh? Everyone seems to be asking to debate you XD
Is it because of your writing skills? Your friendliness when you think your opponent is stupid, but don't show it? You're a 15-year-old girl? I am wanting to see what you're made of Miss Atheist :)
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
I was a Christian, I was even studying Theology, thinking it would make me stronger as a Christian, but it was studying the Bible closer that opened up the flaws in scripture, so I decided to study the history of religion as well, which really opened up my eyes, as I discovered that the teachings of Jesus were learned by Jesus from Confucianism and Buddhism which existed in his region for over a century before his birth.
Thus all Jesus did was teach existing Buddhist/Confucian ideology to Jews.

I looked into Buddhism and Confucianism and weighed them up, which is why I'm Confucian.
Buddhism has unusual spiritual practices and monasticism, which I disbelieve in.
Confucian has veneration of the spirits of Ancestors and since that backs up our genetics and personalities which come via genetics from our ancestors, I decided that Confucianism is more practical.
Also because I am a strong believer in free education for all, just as Confucius tried to implement.
As he was humble and wanted to be surrounded by well educated advisers from all groups in his nation, rich and poor, he did not discriminate.
Posted by Mr.sarcastic 2 years ago
Mr.sarcastic
I'm very displeased that Pro accepted this debate when he openly admits he's hardly a Christian if on at all. It would have been a great "debate" if the person who accepted it was very strong in the Christian faith. Very disappointed.
Posted by Demosthenes25 2 years ago
Demosthenes25
I am very strongly a Christian. Some comments both of you had made were false, but sometimes you have misunderstood, or used an unreliable source. I agreed with 'pro' in the beginning and still do. The 'con' had some good points, but there is ALWAYS an answer when it has to do with God. I would like to debate in your next one, can you (instead of making it open) send me an invite? I have studied this for so long and am excited to put it to use. Also, there is a movie just like this, it is called God's Not Dead. Of course, I am not stupid enough to base my beliefs and debates off a movie, but it has to do with this and is around a debate environment. So glad we finally have an Atheist who brings up the subject, not a God-believer . . .
Again can you send me an invite for a debate like this one? If your next debate starts without me being in it, I will send an invite for you to join one like this, that I create.
Posted by Atheist73 2 years ago
Atheist73
Ez4kst- I am currently debating two different people, so I do not have the time now.. but if you'll send me a private message I'll debate you as soon as I'll have the time! :)
Posted by Ez4kst 2 years ago
Ez4kst
Hi, I'm a Christian and I do believe what niam had said contain some flaws. Would be open to a debate with you :)
Posted by Atheist73 2 years ago
Atheist73
Niam, I think we should both let voters decide who should win the debate.
You know I appreciate you very much, but you even said so yourself - 'and my opponent has really made me think about this. In terms of Question 29: I think that I would believe in God to less of a degree. I think Buddhism would perhaps make more sense. I really need to think this over. '
Your job in the debate was to defend Christianity, and in that way, I think you've lost.
The most important thing in deciding who is the winner is who had more convincing arguments - and if I my arguments were so convincing that it even convinced you in a way- I think I should win.
Posted by Atheist73 2 years ago
Atheist73
NiamC,
Don't listen to them. I wish all Christians would be like you.
and kinsky -
I changed the number of questions because Niam contradicted my terms.
Posted by lightingbolt50 2 years ago
lightingbolt50
Why is voting open for this debate?
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Atheist73NiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm going to have to leave this a tie for reasons touched on by several others who voted prior to me. Con, if you would ever like to do this again sometime - same questions and all, I'd be down. Pro, *Sigh* you didn't answer her remaining questions!! All in all, as many others said, this would have been better placed in the forums section.
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 2 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Atheist73NiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: No voting necessary as it was not a debate but let me just give some responses anyway. I enjoyed this as I believe these questions did exactly what they were meant to do and that was make the opponent think. Con I would like to point out that some people will vote you down just because this is not a debate, so rather stick to the forums with questions like these. Trust me the forums can get truly crazy and you will be able to engage your points freely there.
Vote Placed by GOP 2 years ago
GOP
Atheist73NiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: As mentioned by other voters, this is not a debate.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Atheist73NiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm pretty sure it's Debate.org, not Interview.org.
Vote Placed by TN05 2 years ago
TN05
Atheist73NiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: Should have been a forum topic.
Vote Placed by Youth 2 years ago
Youth
Atheist73NiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con because Con took the time to make questions and Pro despite being understandably busy did not really take the time to answer them. Arguments to Con as Pro failed to answer most of the questions correctly and got his Bible wrong.
Vote Placed by Ajab 2 years ago
Ajab
Atheist73NiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am going to tie this, because frankly I have no idea how to vote on it. If Atheist was only asking for an opinion, they could have used the forums, and NiamC did make some Biblical errors, so I shall simply tie this debate. I am, as blade might say, happy to clarify this RFD.
Vote Placed by YYW 2 years ago
YYW
Atheist73NiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: Nonsense. Utter nonsense.
Vote Placed by kinsky 2 years ago
kinsky
Atheist73NiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am not being biased, but pro had answered the questions. It didnt say anywhere to expand on this. It didnt say that he had to answer in an expected manner. There were no grammar or conduct errors frommpro. In fact, I should take them away from con for changing the number of questionw
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Atheist73NiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: this should b tie since itsnt a dbat trying to make this tie