Pigney
batman01

Questions for an Athiest

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

Pigney

Pro

I have a few questions, which i legitimately want answered. I have never heard one of these properly answered by an atheist, without him using circular reasoning or unnecessarily long arguments. I have given only a short amount of time (60mins) but it should be plenty enough. I have also provided for only a short amount of characters, to avoid long redundant statements, but you should have plenty of space to answer all of the questions with easy explanations . This is not really a debate.
Okay
1: Are you completely opposed to the idea of a God, or are you simply indifferent?
2: What is "love" to you?
3:What is "knowledge" to you?
4:What is "truth" to you?
5:What is "goodness" to you?
6:Do you believe there was ever nothing?
7: Do you think the world will ever end?
8: What do you think will happen when you die?
9: And have you ever thought that if there is a God, will you end up in Hell?

Please keep the answers one to two sentences short, you should not need any more than that. No defense for you answer is required, just the answer.
batman01

Con

Hey I have accepted your debate, I can't claim to represent atheists as a whole but I will do my best to give my own personal feelings:

1. I am opposed to the existence of a God. I would not be extremely opposed to a god if he turns out to be moral but I am extremely opposed to gods who would condemn to hell such as the Christian god. The death of god is the death of meaning but also the birth of a sort of independence.
2. Love to me means the same thing it would mean to any other human being, my atheism does not affect this.
3. Knowledge to me is justified true belief (excluding Gettier cases).
4. Truth to me (and I will be more radical in this view) is non-existent in an objective sense. There is no such thing as objective truth (I assume here we are talking the truth of claims which cannot be empirically tested) in that truth is necessarily based in subjectivity.
5. Goodness I believe must relate principally to the well-being of conscious creatures. Goodness exists only as it is experienced and is experienced only in the minds of conscious creatures.
6. I honestly have no idea and it is extremely hard to tell. With the model we currently have of the Big Bang we can't extrapolate before t=0 or when the Bang starts to occur and therefore right now we really have no idea where the first something comes from, then again theists still have no idea where god came from.
7. The universe will end. I am not sure how the universe will end (there are several cosmological theories see https://en.wikipedia.org...).
8. Nothing, I will lack consciousness. Death concerns me not because once death has come I will not exist and therefore will be unable to experience anything.
9. I have thought that but I consider the possibility so unlikely that I don't worry about it. Also I would rather spend an eternity in hell than serve a god so evil that he would condemn a human to eternal suffering just for not agreeing with them.

Thanks.
Posted by batman01 3 weeks ago
batman01
Please nobody else vote on this, this wasn't a debate and nobody deserves to lose.
Posted by whiteflame 3 weeks ago
whiteflame
You are not required to meet the standards for explaining arguments, but you are still required to explain your decision in some way. Conduct violations, however, still need to meet the standards.
Posted by skipsaweirdo 3 weeks ago
skipsaweirdo
To white flame....This isn't a debate..so I awarded points from other criteria as you have none for non~debates
Posted by MagicAintReal 3 weeks ago
MagicAintReal
You said it wasn't really a debate, so I'll answer your questions here:

Which god?
Most proposed gods are mutually exclusive, you have to be more specific than that.

2: What is "love" to you?

A construct that represents oxytocin and dopamine rushes when higher-order mammals interact with one another.

3:What is "knowledge" to you?

A construct that represents the information a person gathers over time via neuronal interactions with reality.

4:What is "truth" to you?

That which can be demonstrated, replicated, and used to make accurate predictions with the known mechanisms of the demonstrations and replications.

5:What is "goodness" to you?

That which maintains homeostasis and human well-being via behaviors toward other humans.

At one point, there was no stative energy/matter/time/space/particle/radiation/gravity...nothing but quantum fluctuations, which are not stative.

Yep.
The sun will eventually evaporate the earth.

My body, if still in tact, will be feasted on by the flora and fauna on which I have feasted for my entire life.

Which god?
Not all gods mention a hell.
Posted by whiteflame 3 weeks ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: skipsaweirdo// Mod action: Removed<

4 points to Pro (Conduct, Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: I am currently under medication which caused my votes.

[*Reason for removal*] Being "under medication" is not a sufficient reason to award any points on this or any debate.
************************************************************************
Posted by whiteflame 3 weeks ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: hutch976// Mod action: Removed<

4 points to Pro (Conduct, Arguments), 1 point to Con (S&G). Reasons for voting decision: I do not feel like I have to explain the before and after criteria. Conduct was equal, but I will give the point to Pro for ingenuity in a debate. Con also seems to be assuming too much in answers given (e.g. that has nothing to do with my atheism) Con had a better format, and therefore I give Con the points on that one. More convincing arguments though, for me, go to Pro. Con actually contradicts himself. For example Con states, "love means to me the same as it does to any other human being", but then goes on to tell us how truth is subjective. How then could one definition be the same for all people? Pro actually used a simple Q and A to demonstrate some faults in Con's logic. Good job Pro.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) Conduct is insufficiently explained. Ingenuity and assumptions made are not sufficient reasons to award this point " it may only be awarded in instances where an insult is levied or one side forfeits. (2) S&G is insufficiently explained. S&G is insufficiently explained. Unless the debater wrote in such a way that it's difficult to understand, this point may not be awarded. This is not an opportunity to point out which format you preferred. (3) Arguments are insufficiently explained. The voter does specifically assess one of Con's points, but generally claims that Pro did a good job without pointing to a specific argument.
***********************************************************************
Posted by whiteflame 3 weeks ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: straightup.gong// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Con. Reasons for voting decision: Con answered the questions as asked and did a great job at doing so.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) Conduct, S&G and sources are not explained. (2) Arguments are insufficiently explained. The voter is required to assess arguments made by both sides specifically. Generalizing about what one side managed to do overall is not sufficient.
Posted by Lonely-Bird 3 weeks ago
Lonely-Bird
Pitney:
One finds your definition of goodness intriguing. Privation actually is unrelated to goodness. People can most certainly be "good" and be in a state of privation.

As for whether there was always something this is an assertion with no evidence to back it up. The further assertion that most men call this god also lacks for evidence as it appears subject to you correcting the implication that the "god" you implying is the abrahamic definition of god.
Posted by Pigney 3 weeks ago
Pigney
1: I am completely opposed to the contradiction that there is no God.
2: Love is the proper reaction of the will to goodness.
3: I would say this is a proper assessment of truth and its application to all things.
4:Truth is what is. It is not belief, it is fact. It is that which is in accordance with reality, regardless of man's ability to comprehend it. Something is either true (in accordance with reality) or not.
5:Goodness is a lack of any privation. Goodness is when everything that should be is. That is it is what is in accordance with natural law and proper authority (which is accordance with God).
6:No, for if there ever was nothing, then now there would still be nothing. There was always something, and that something is what most men call God
7: It will stop as we know it, so yes, it will end, i assume sooner rather than later.
8: But reason dictates i will continue on to eternity. Hopefully in heaven, but the road to Hell is far wider.
9: Certainly, i know there is a God, and i know that i can certainly end up in hell, but i will work towards the opposite.
Posted by Pigney 3 weeks ago
Pigney
Hey, thanks for all of the comments. This really was not a debate, and i am sorry that a few atheists got worked up over my questions. They were serious, not meant to insult. I would like to point out that almost no god has been invented by man. For greeks and romans, they were originated from devils, for monotheists, He was originated from his own revelation and proper reasoning (see Aristotle). Thanks especially to batman01 for answering this question/debate.