TigerTime
AREKKUSU

Quick Debate: NASCAR is not a Sport

AREKKUSU
Started: 11/10/2012 Category: Sports

TigerTime

Pro

2 rounds, 24h/round. First round is for acceptance

I will argue that NASCAR is not a real sport.

This isn't a semantics trap, I just want an honest debate.
AREKKUSU

Con

Now I personally don't like NASCAR(Why must it be 100% caps?) at all. Or moreover I don't like most sports at all, especially for the sake of 'viewing' them.
I think the term 'sport' can be loosely used for most things. For example, many chess players would consider chess to be a sport. I'm a chess player myself, and I don't typically call chess a sport, since most people don't see it as so.
Is NASCAR a sport? To find that out we must ask "What is a sport?"
I'll use a dictionary sources to help me out with this.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.
Now NASCAR I would think fits into all of these 'slots'. Although 'physical' may be questioned. It has it's customs and is engaged competitively. It certainly gives physical exertion over time, lot's of skill involved I suppose. It's certainly a active pastime.
Is NASCAR a sport? I think so.
TigerTime

Pro

Cool. I'll use your definition and show how NASCAR doesn't fit it.

1. NASCAR is not physical activity. You sit down the whole time. Sure, you're sitting down for a very long time, but a lot of nothing is still nothing. It's competitive, but this isn't enough to make it a sport as even board games are competitive.

2. This is basically the same as the above point, this just adds physical exertion. You aren't really doing anything, so where is this exertion? One would say that it gets so hot in those cars that it can be exhausting. That's not exhaustion, that's just dehydration over a long period of time taking its toll on you. If sitting down in a really hot place is a sport, then sitting in a sauna must also be a sport.

3. I'll conceded that it is a pastime, but this isn't enough to make NASCAR a sport, obviously, so point 3 doesn't mean anything.

4. Skill doesn't really come into play. I'll admit some sill is needed, but you're driving in a circle for a few hours. There's nothing dynamic about it, until somebody gets so bored that they stop paying attention and crash. Let's face it, even board games (especially ones like chess) require way more skill than simply driving in a circle for a few hours. I'll give them one thing, it does take a certain amount of skill to do the active equivalent of watching paint dry for 4 hours.

To conclude, NASCAR meets maybe half the requirements it takes for us to think of it as a sport. This is why we don't normally think of it as a sport. If anything, chess IS more of a sport than NASCAR, because you spend the whole time sitting in both, but at least chess takes real skill.

Thanks!
AREKKUSU

Con

Yeah, the idea of it not being physical is always the one and only argument against NASCAR being a sport.
The fact that doing it can cause strain should be a hint that it's a physical activity. I'll look at it in a different way. What is NASCAR? It has to be in some sort of category. I certainly would see it as a physical thing over a mental thing, in which I would call it a sport.
Pro states that sitting can't be considered a physical activity. Think about it though, you're still doing a lot. You need to be focused every second, turning the wheel and switching gears, it does tire out your body. That's where it's physical and it surly does exert the body. I can certainly admit that NASCAR would be one of the least physical sports, but I also consider it to be quite obvious that it's something that is physical to an extent.
Pro admits that NASCAR does take some skill. but you're argument might as well be stating that you don't like the sport. It may not be 'dynamic' to you but many people disagree. And if you don't think it's hard to be pro at NASCAR I think that you should try it out for a few months to open your eyes.
I believe NASCAR to have fit all of the definitions of being a sport. Many people may argue it, but it's a fact, NASCAR is physical(Certainly not a mental 'game').
Thanks for the debate! I hope I get the chance to do this again with you!
Posted by keagan 4 years ago
keagan
do you not know how much physival shape you have to be in to nascar or any car racing for that matter trust me i race it is hard on your body
Vote Placed by andrewmccauley 4 years ago
andrewmccauley
TigerTimeAREKKUSUTied
Reasons for voting decision: There were no strong arguments on either side, but I agree with the con position.
Vote Placed by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
TigerTimeAREKKUSUTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was basically an opinion debate. Con's main argument seemed to be that NASCAR is a sport because it's not mental, therefore it must be physical, therefore it must be a sport. I don't think "not being mental" is enough to make something a sport. Pro conceded that NASCAR was a pastime, so we have a third option to file it under and so it needn't be shoe-horned into the category of "sport". After all, everything is physical to an extent, that doesn't make everything a sport. Pro did have a couple grammar errors, but I didn't notice them until they were pointed out to me, which means they never actually got in my way of understanding his arguments, so I can't fairly deduct him this point.
Vote Placed by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
TigerTimeAREKKUSUTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forgot a full stop (a period) after the word 'acceptance' in round one He also says "I'll conceded" in round two. So grammar vote to con. Arguments of con was more sound, only argument was physical nonsensical argument.