TigerTime
BriarEvans2016

Quick Debate: Xbox360 Vs. PS3

TigerTime
Started: 11/9/2012 Category: Technology

TigerTime

Pro

This will be a quick debate. 2 rounds, 24h/round

I will argue for PS3, you argue for Xbox360

First round is for acceptance. I will make my case for PS3, then you make your case for Xbox360
BriarEvans2016

Con

Hello fellow opponent!
I kindly accept your debate!
TigerTime

Pro

Thank you for accepting!

My reasons,

1. Blu-Ray
PS3 has blue-ray, Xbox360 doesn't [1]. This means that PS3 can player higher quality movies, but also the games can hold more information. This results in the ability to have every game fit on a single disk, as well as noticeably better graphics [2].

2. Rechargeable Controller
PS3 has rechargeable controllers [1]. No batteries needed, unlike with the 360.

3. Free Playstation Network
PS3 has a free network while the Xbox Live Gold will cost you $60-$100/year [3]. That's enough to buy 1-2 additional games per year. This cost actually makes the 360 more expensive than the PS3. The PS3 can be bought for $299 [5], while the 360 costs $229 (unless you grab that bargain version) [6]. This means that the 360 (which has weaker hardware) will cost you at least as much as a PS3, if not more, due to the Xbox live cost, and that cost has to be paid every year. If you've had Xbox live for the past 4 years, assuming you only get the regular $60/year deal, you've spent extra dollars on your system, effectively making the system twice as expensive.

4. IGN Rankings
IGN did a comparison between the two systems, measuring such things as CPU, GPU, RAM and hard drive. Out of all four, the only one the 360 came out on top for was GPU, and even then it's a split-decision at best.

"The verdict: Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 rely on custom-designed graphics cards. The Xbox's Xenos card features more video RAM, but this RAM is shared with the console's system RAM. The PS3 has 256 MB of dedicated video RAM in addition to being able to share up to an additional 224 MB from the system RAM.

In terms of bandwidth, the PS3 slightly edges out the Xbox. However, the Xbox has the advantage of 10 MB of eDRAM. When relying on the eDRAM, system bandwidth jumps up to 256 GBps.

Ultimately, while the PS3 GPU shows higher general performance numbers, we're inclined to give this category to the Xbox based on the peak performance of the eDRAM and the general versatility of this setup." [4]

5. System Failures
Xbox360 has a 42% hardware failure rate, compared to only 8% for PS3 [7].

To conclude, the PS3 is a stronger and less expensive system that is also much more reliable. If you want to spend more money on a weaker system which is prone to failure, buy an Xbox360.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
2. http://ps3emulator.org...
3. http://www.xbox.com...
4. http://ca.ign.com...
5. http://www.walmart.com...
6. http://www.walmart.com...
7. http://www.destructoid.com...
BriarEvans2016

Con

I'd like to start off by clashing my opponent's case.

1. Blu-Ray:
My opponent stated that the PS3 had Blu-Ray. He also stated that this means the PS3 can play higher quality movies and allow the games to hold more information. By doing this, you have to use gigabytes and hold MORE information than the PS3 could possibly handle.

2. Rechargeable Controller:
The XBOX 360 also has a rechargable controller.
http://www.gamestop.com...

3. Free PS3 Network:
(1). Nothing Is Free:
You'd had to BUY the PS3 for however much as well as BUY games for however much if you wanted the PS Network.

(2). People Don't Need XBOX Live:
You have mentioned that it costs $100 a year. But if we don't want this? I'm pretty sure you agree some people do not want it.

(3). Weaker Hardware?
The XBOX has a better harddrive system than the PS3. People use BLU-RAY on their PS3 that takes up some GB space. XBOX 360 doesn't have a DVD Player, thank God.

4. IGN Rankings:
SLIGHTLY edges? It doesn't even edge at all. Xbox has the better graphics and better Gameplay than the PS3, as well as holds more information.

5. System Failures:
The PS3 shuts down from too much memory. 360 shuts down because of the fact that we get our games scratched up or our internet goes down.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now on to my own case:

Larger Game Variety.
Nothing to explain.

Xbox360 is better in gaming, Xbox Live has more interaction. i heard that people don't really talk on PS3.

More confortable controllers:
360 has a better grip.
Posted by tulle 4 years ago
tulle
No problem. Good job to both of you! I like how you seperated your arguments and made it organized and really easy to follow. So yeah, Briar, the only thing I would suggest for future debates is to back up what you say with logical arguments and/or sources. Don't assume the reader knows (as I said, I have an Xbox, but I don't even know what I can do with it lol all I do is play Just Dance 3)
Posted by TigerTime 4 years ago
TigerTime
tulle, thank you for voting in my first debate! You are a super cool lady!
Posted by BriarEvans2016 4 years ago
BriarEvans2016
Thank you. I understand why I have lost today's round! Thanks for the help on letting me know what to do and how to do it! I appreciate it.
Posted by BriarEvans2016 4 years ago
BriarEvans2016
Posted by tulle 4 years ago
tulle
Although I have an xBox360 with Kinect, I'm not a gamer, so I relied on the debate arguments in and of themselves to convince me. I'll start with sources. I gave that one to Pro easily because he provided sources that back up his assertions, while Con made assertions, saying "nothing to explain". Well it's not obvious to someone who is not a gamer.

1. Pro's second source backs up his assertion that the graphics are noticeably better. Con doesn't counter this, and provides no source to back up his claim that you have to use more GB than the PS3 can handle. Argument to Pro.
2. Con shows that Xbox does have a rechargeable controller. Argument to Con.
3. Con's rebuttal is not actually a rebuttal to what Pro was arguing. You have to buy both systems and both games. The argument is you have to pay for Xbox Live, while you don't have to pay for the PS3 equivalent. Argument to Pro.
4. Pro provides a source that compares the Xbox and PS3. Con counters that Xbox has better graphics and holds more information but provides no source, while Pro's first argument shows this to be false. Argument to Pro.
5. The cause of system failure doesn't change the fact that Xbox shuts down more. Argument to Pro.

None of Con's arguments are back up by sources, and they are based on anecdotal evidence and hearsay. This is why I gave arguments to Pro.
Vote Placed by baseballkid 4 years ago
baseballkid
TigerTimeBriarEvans2016Tied
Reasons for voting decision: They say the opposite of each other and one of them had sources.
Vote Placed by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
TigerTimeBriarEvans2016Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Briar tore pro's arguments apart but pro had better sources.
Vote Placed by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
TigerTimeBriarEvans2016Tied
Reasons for voting decision: In this case, sources won the debate. Having sources gave Pro's arguments more validity, thereby making them more convincing. The fact that he was able to give specific statistics to back up his arguments helped a lot too.
Vote Placed by Altilongitude 4 years ago
Altilongitude
TigerTimeBriarEvans2016Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's too much memory argument wasn't well explained. I think a lot of people want online game play. "XBOX 360 doesn't have a DVD Player, thank God." was not explained.
Vote Placed by tulle 4 years ago
tulle
TigerTimeBriarEvans2016Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I'll put the RFD in comments.