studentathletechristian8
SWfiend

Quote Debate

studentathletechristian8

Pro

Although this debate essentially lacks a resolution, the meaning of what will be discussed is relatively clear. My opponent and I will post a maximum of five quotes per round. The judging shall be based on which side presented the more significant or insightful quotes. Let us begin:

"What you get by achieving your goals is as important as what you become by achieving your goals. "
-Henry David Thoreau

"The most important thing in communication is hearing what isn't said. "
-Peter Drucker

"Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it, for that determines our success or failure. The way you think about a fact may defeat you before you ever do anything about it. You are overcome by the fact because you think you are."
-Norman Vincent Peale

"The spirit of man is more important than mere physical strength, and the spiritual fiber of a nation than its wealth."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."
-Oscar Wilde

I thank my opponent for accepting and the readers for a "vacation" from other heavily debated issues.
SWfiend

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for posting a "debate" that actually seems enjoyable. As is required by the instigator and by myself, insightful quotes shall be posted and the voters will decide who posted, in their opinion, the better quotes. I shall begin.

1: "What's the point in living if you let people walk over you?" Hank Greenspun.

2: "Beliefs have the power to create and the power to destroy." - Tony Robbins

3: "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

4: "Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

5: "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man." – Mark Twain

I look forward to my opponent's rebuttal and wish him luck.
studentathletechristian8

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this "debate."

"When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old, I know that it is."
-Oscar Wilde

"What can we gain by sailing to the moon if we are not able to cross the abyss that separates us from ourselves? This is the most important of all voyages of discovery, and without it, all the rest are not only useless, but disastrous."
-Thomas Merton

"Peace is more important than all justice; and peace was not made for the sake of justice, but justice for the sake of peace. "
-Martin Luther

"Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do."
-Will Rogers

"We humans are an extremely important manifestation of the replication bomb, because it is through us - through our brains, our symbolic culture and our technology - that the explosion may proceed to the next stage and reverberate through deep space."
-Richard Dawkins

I thank my opponent and the readers for the opportunity.
SWfiend

Con

1: "The best antidote to fear is knowledge." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

2: Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. ~Andre Gide

3: "Where there is an open mind, there will always be a frontier." -CHARLES F. KETTERING

4: "Teachers open the door; but you must enter yourself." -CHINESE PROVERB

5: "As for adopting the ways which the State has provided for remedying the evil, I know not of such ways. They take too much time, and a man's llife will be gone. I have other affairs to attend to. I came into this world, not chiefly to make this a good place to live in, but to live in it, be it good or bad." -Henry David Thoreau
studentathletechristian8

Pro

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson

"The key is not the will to win... everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important."
-Bobby Knight

"The greatest and most important problems of life are all fundamentally insoluble. They can never be solved but only outgrown."
-Carl Jung

"Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm, but the harm does not interest them."
-T.S. Eliot

"The most important element of a free society, where individual rights are held in the highest esteem, is the rejection of the initiation of violence."
-Ron Paul
SWfiend

Con

1: "I have had my solutions for a long time, but I do not yet know how I am to arrive at them." -Karl Friedrich Gauss

2: "A thought which is not independent is a thought only half understood." -Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

3: "We have to live today by what truth we can get today, and be ready tomorrow to call it falsehood." -William James

4: "History is written by the victors." –Machiavelli

5: "Philosophy begins when one learns to doubt - particularly to doubt one's cherished beliefs, one's dogmas and one's axioms." -Will Durant
studentathletechristian8

Pro

"We must declare ourselves, become known; allow the world to discover this subterranean life of ours which connects kings and farm boys, artists and clerks. Let them see that the important thing is not the object of love, but the emotion itself."
-Gore Vidal

"I have come to believe over and over again that what is most important to me must be spoken, made verbal and shared, even at the risk of having it bruised or misunderstood."
-Audre Lorde

"The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of because words diminish your feelings - words shrink things that seem timeless when they are in your head to no more than living size when they are brought out."
-Stephen King

"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
-Aldous Huxley

"Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system."
-Bruce Lee
SWfiend

Con

1: "I do not agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." – Voltaire

2: "Until philosophers are kings, or the kings and princes of this world have the spirit and power of philosophy, and political greatness and wisdom meet in one.... cities will never have rest from their evils-no, nor the human race." –Plato

3: "He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Nietzche

4: "It's easy to curb the freedoms of others when you see no immediate impact on your own." -Malcolm Forbes

5:"For me as emperor, my city and fatherland is Rome; but as a man, I belong to the world." -Marcus Aurelius (180 A.D.) Emperor of Rome
studentathletechristian8

Pro

"Talent alone won't make you a success. Neither will being in the right place at the right time, unless you are ready. The most important question is: Are your ready?"
-Johnny Carson

"An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea."
-Edward de Bono

"It is just as important that business keep out of government as that government keep out of business."
-Herbert Hoover

"The great work must inevitably be obscure, except to the very few, to those who like the author himself are initiated into the mysteries. Communication then is secondary: it is perpetuation which is important. For this only one good reader is necessary."
-Henry Miller

"The conscious mind determines the actions, the unconscious mind determines the reactions; and the reactions are just as important as the actions."
-E. Stanley Jones

I thank my opponent and the readers for this opportunity.
SWfiend

Con

I would first like to again thank my opponent for giving me the opportunity to participate in this "debate", and thank you to the readers and voters who took the time out of their day to review this.

1: "As knowledge grew, fear decreased; men thought less of worshiping the unknown, and more of overcoming it." -Will Durant

2: "Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and the unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind." -Bertrand Russell

3: "Only the dead have seen the end of war." –Plato

4: "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

And in honor of this day, September 11, 2009, eight years to the day that this country was attacked and the men and women fighting overseas.
5: "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -George Orwell
Posted by Freeman 7 years ago
Freeman
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.
-Voltaire
Posted by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
I like how there's one vote, but the score is tied at zero.
Posted by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
sound good
Posted by SWfiend 7 years ago
SWfiend
Haha, yeah, that's going to be weird. I would say vote for the person who put up more quotes you agree with on a personal level.
Posted by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
looks like a lot of fun...
can't wait to read it all...

then...

the voting
Posted by SWfiend 7 years ago
SWfiend
Yes, very much so. I can honestly say I've never rushed to find quotes.
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
Agreed. The quotes were fantastic.
Posted by SWfiend 7 years ago
SWfiend
Haha, that was fun.
Vote Placed by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
studentathletechristian8SWfiendTied
Vote Placed by untitled_entity 7 years ago
untitled_entity
studentathletechristian8SWfiendTied
Vote Placed by MTGandP 7 years ago
MTGandP
studentathletechristian8SWfiendTied
Vote Placed by mongoose 7 years ago
mongoose
studentathletechristian8SWfiendTied
Vote Placed by Forrest 7 years ago
Forrest
studentathletechristian8SWfiendTied