MyNameIsJustin
Perussi

Quote War

MyNameIsJustin
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

MyNameIsJustin

Pro

This is a short and fun debate. It is currently impossible to join. Please comment why you should participate. I am doing this because since this is in a short fashion, I only want active debaters.

Rules:
The quotes must be legitimate
They must fit the category
You must state who said the quote

There will be three quotes per round (excluding acceptance round)

Format:
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Liberty Quotes
Round 3: Love Quotes
Round 4: Work Quotes

Comment why I should choose you.
Perussi

Con

I @ccept.
MyNameIsJustin

Pro

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, Memoirs of the life & writings of Benjamin Franklin.

"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." John Basil Barnhill.

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." Abraham Lincoln.
Perussi

Con

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow-

"When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."
-The Declaration of Independence-

"Give me liberty, or give me death!"
-Patrick Henry-
MyNameIsJustin

Pro

"Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law." -Buddha

"The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart." -Helen Keller

"The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost." -Gilbert K. Chesterton
Perussi

Con

"Love is litterally everything"
-Perussi-

"You won't have to ask yourself "is this the one" if it is."
-My Mom-

"Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind.

Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today.

We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We're going to live on!

We're going to survive!"
-Thomas Whitmore (Independence Day - Movie)-

^^^ This shows the love humanity has for it's existence, that is where it draws it's power. And the love of survival.
MyNameIsJustin

Pro

Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence.
- Colin Powell

"I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it"
- Thomas Jefferson

"If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it would not seem so wonderful at all."
- Michelangelo Buonarroti
Perussi

Con

"Hard work defeats genius but both combined thwarts all."
-DumbellDoor-

"You're more of a fluentic fail doer who sometimes does a doo dah with a diggity ding, managing to push open doors that weren't meant to be opened, only to find that there's no floor, so you instead become spiderman and crawl on the walls."
-Vaarka-

"No american education is complete without some time spent doing hard labor."
-Perussi-
Posted by Mharman 10 months ago
Mharman
Wanna play some mafia?
http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Perussi 12 months ago
Perussi
Opinion on who has the better quotes for the subject. You can reason a little and give a poetic rfd but it is all about the power of the quotes.
Posted by dsjpk5 12 months ago
dsjpk5
How is anyone supposed to vote on this?
Posted by Perussi 12 months ago
Perussi
ONLY 3 DAYS TO VOTE?!?!

ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!

nac
Posted by Perussi 12 months ago
Perussi
DDO has been a catalyst for some good quotes.
Posted by Perussi 12 months ago
Perussi
Oh, ok.
Posted by MyNameIsJustin 12 months ago
MyNameIsJustin
All of the sources I have found that took that quote from Franklin's writing did not include "and will lose both"
Posted by Perussi 12 months ago
Perussi
++"and will lose both" on the Franklin one
Posted by MyNameIsJustin 12 months ago
MyNameIsJustin
The whole reason I had this was so I had someone who would be able to have a fast response. It shouldn't take long to do this. Nonetheless, it is changed.
Posted by Perussi 12 months ago
Perussi
Sorry
Vote Placed by whiteflame 11 months ago
whiteflame
MyNameIsJustinPerussi
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Generally, I felt that the quotes from Pro were stronger and more direct. Con had some more interesting takes on several of these issues, but they often weren't as clear or solid.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 12 months ago
dsjpk5
MyNameIsJustinPerussi
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: It was very close. I didn't like some of them, but liked most of them. I didn't mind the explanation, nor the use of member quotes. By a razor thin margin, I vote Con.
Vote Placed by TheGodson 12 months ago
TheGodson
MyNameIsJustinPerussi
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: I like the quotes better. Some of the other quotes from the other side were hard to connect with the topic. For example, the quote about spider man crawling on walls didn't make sense to me.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 12 months ago
Ragnar
MyNameIsJustinPerussi
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: R2 Pro (2 v 1), R3 Pro (3 v 0), R4 Pro (2 v 1). Fictional characters face a bit of an uphill battle, and when a quote needs to be explained rather than speaking for itself, it's not a good sign. Also grammatically a quote inside a quote gets single marks instead of double (not weighing anything by this, but what are these for if not advice).
Vote Placed by debatemaster163 12 months ago
debatemaster163
MyNameIsJustinPerussi
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: I feel like I agreed with pros quotes and understood them better.