harrypotterfantng
tennis47

Quotes! (reopened)

harrypotterfantng

Pro

Hello! I had fun with our last debate, so I decided to make another one. Don't feel like you have to accept, though. Totally up to you. If tennis47 does not join, this debate is free to anyone else.

Good luck!

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

"It has always seemed strange to me... the things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second." - John Steinbeck

"Elmo loves everybody doesn't matter if your red, green, blue or even if you have hair or fur!" - Elmo

"A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein
tennis47

Con

;)
"Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it."- Sai Baba

"There's nothing like a good cheating song to make me want to run home to be with my wife." -Steven Curtis Chapman

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives." -William Wallace

"Life is 10 percent what you make it, and 90 percent how you take it." -Irving Berlin

"Roses are red, violets are blue, God made me pretty, what happened to you?" - Roxy Quiksilver

Love your Elmo quote!
harrypotterfantng

Pro

"I'm a good person, I hope. But I'm never as good as I want to be, never as nice as I want to be, never as generous as I want to be." - David Tennant

"Courage isn't a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - John Pertwee as the Doctor

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." James Dean

"I don't think God gives a [care] if we have a dog or if a woman wears shorts. I think He gives a [care] about whether you're a good person." - Hassan Harbish
tennis47

Con

"My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is."-Ellen DeGeneres

"Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry."-Bill Cosby

"I found there was only one way to look thin: hang out with fat people."-Rodney Dangerfield

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you."-Katharine Hepburn

"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children."-David Brenner

;)
harrypotterfantng

Pro

I laughed at your fat people quote!

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." (again) Albert Einstein

"They only care when you are dead." (source unknown)

"In the hopes of reaching the moon men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet." - Albert Schweitzer

"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found that it is the small things. Every day deeds by ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay." - Gandalf

"No matter how much cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." - Abraham Lincoln

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
tennis47

Con

;)

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."-Steve Martin

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes."-Jim Carrey

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive."-Elbert Hubbard

"A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."-Steven Wright

Happy Easter!
harrypotterfantng

Pro

I see your Steve Martin quote, and I raise you a:

"We are two wild and crazy guys!" - Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd (SNL)

"Writing for adults often means just increasing the swearing - but find an alternative to swearing and you've probably got a better line." - Steven Moffat

I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong." - John Lennon

"I was in the bath at the time, and my dad came running in and said, 'Guess who they want to play Harry Potter!?' and I started to cry. It was probably the best moment of my life." - Daniel Radcliffe

"I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited." - Patrick Stewart
tennis47

Con

"A man paints with his brains and not with his hands."-Michelangelo

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!"-Audrey Hepburn

"Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor."-Sholom Aleichem

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."-Confucius

" Everything in life is luck."-Donald Trump

;)
harrypotterfantng

Pro

(had to read this one over a few times to get it myself) "To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge."
- Nicolaus Copernicus

"I never believed in Santa Claus because I knew no white dude would come into my neighborhood after dark." - Dick Gregory

"I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph." - Shirley Temple

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity." - George Carlin

"I run six-to-eight miles a day, plus weights and aerobics in the lunch hour. I also lie a lot, which keeps me thin." - Hugh Laurie

"It only takes a room of Americans for the English and Australians to realise how much we have in common." - Steven Fry

"I remember the first time I heard a teenager say 'LOL.' Just what? But it means 'laugh.' Why don't you just laugh? What are you doing?" - J.K. Rowling

"If there were no bad people, there would be no good lawyers." - Charles Dickens

I think I'll leave it at that. This was fun! Thanks for joining the debate.

Good luck!
tennis47

Con

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."-Buddha

"A baby is God's opinion that life should go on."-Carl Sandburg

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."-Albert Einstein

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."-Joseph Campbell

This was fun! ;)
Posted by harrypotterfantng 4 years ago
harrypotterfantng
Oh, shoot! I forgot to put a 'Happy Easter' at the end of my post.

Happy Easter!