Dave34
Ore_Ele

Quran vs. Bible-which is God's word.

Ore_Ele

Dave34

Pro

I believe the Qu'ran is God's word; as a former Christian I can testify to this. Scientific evidence in the Qu'ran proves this. I will debate more when I receive a response, thank you.
Ore_Ele

Con

I welcome my opponent, and curiously await his scientific evidence that proves that the Qur'an is God's word. Personally, I have yet to see scientific evidence that proves God, let alone his word. But before assuming any arguments, I will allow my opponent to present his evidence.
Dave34

Pro

Number 1- we have scientific evidence.
Number 2- we have an unchanged word of God, apart from the Bible

Lets start with the scientific evidence, Ill make it short and simple, since my opponent has given me no basis for him being a con of the Bible or Quran. He seems to want me to prove God. "I have yet to see scientific evidence that proves God, let alone his word." So what exactly are you debating?

Anyway, scientific evidence proves the Quran. If you have ever thought of the atmosphere and the way it was created, take a look at the Quran. Surah 41:12 reads, "So He ordained them seven heavens (skies) in two days (periods) and revealed in every heaven its affair..." Now think about the seven levels of the atmosphere which each have different purposes.

Below is a quote from http://www.quranmiracles.com... and shows the seven levels of the atmosphere.

"1) Troposphere is the lowest layer, closest to the surface of the earth. The Troposphere, which is as low as six km, extends to a height of 12 km at the equator. Atmospheric phenomena take place within the portion of three to four kilometers from the surface. 75% of atmospheric gases are in this layer. Above the Troposphere is the (2) Stratosphere extending about 50 km up. The third is (3) the Ozonosphere, the ozone layer in other words, which is the protector from ultraviolet rays having lethal effects on living beings. Above lies the (4) Mesosphere which in turn, is topped by the (5) Thermosphere followed by the (6) Ionosphere, the upper layer reaching to a height of 500 km from the earth. Radio waves are reflected from this layer, rendering communication possible. Above 500 km lies the fringe region known as the (7) Exosphere, extending up to 10,000 km. The proportion of gases in this layer is very low and divided into ions. We can thus divide the atmosphere into 7 layers."

If you look a Surah 23:12-14 it says- "And certainly we create man of an extract of clay.- Then we make him a small-life germ in a firm resting place(uterus). (14)Then we make the life-germ a clot, then we make the clot a lump of flesh. and we make in the lump of flesh bones, then we clothe the bones with flesh and we cause it to grow into another creation..."

This is the steps of birth, and the people 1,500 years ago could not have known anything about that. Look at verse 12-"And certainly we create man of extract of clay"- this traces man to the Earth, where the life-germ in sperm is an extract of food.

Those are a few examples where science proves the Quran. Then we go to the Bible as it has been altered, for explanation of that, please see my debate with the Godhand, which can be accessed from my profile.
Ore_Ele

Con

I am debating that there is no evidence to suggest that either the Qur'an or the Bible is the word of God.

My opponent suggests that the Qur'an saying that there are 7 layers of the atmosphere proves that it is the word of God is a fallacy, it merely proves that the Qur'an made an accurate prediction. That is, if it was correct. There are only 5 layers of the atmosphere, not 7. Unless you wish to count the minor layers (which are grouped by separate definitions, and so are classified differently), then you have 9. The only way to get 7 is to selectively choose some layers to allow and disallow to reach your desired result (which would be another fallacy).[1]

The Qur'an also states that we are made of clay (still with the fallacy that if the Qur'an makes an accurate prediction it must be the word of God). I would argue that we are not made of clay, however, since this is a fallacy, there is no point in arguing it or not.

There is also the fallacy that just because the Qur'an has not been altered, that it is more likely the word of God. I would argue that this is not the case, and that God's word would be subject to change based on the times that the word was being applied to.

Words now-a-days have different meanings then they did over 1,000 years ago. If scripture is not subject to be updated, then its original meaning is lost, thus rendering it inadequate for its original purpose. The only way for the word of God to remain understandable to the people is to be able to adapt to our ever-changing verbal styles. Surely what is important in the word of God is the message and meaning, and not the individual words.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Dave34

Pro

I am not debating an atheistic viewpoint on whether or not the Quran or the Bible is God's word; I am debating which one is God's word. The debate is not entitled, " The Bible and Quran is God word"
Ore_Ele

Con

I'm sorry that my opponent has decided that he does not want to provide any evidence that the Qur'an is god's word. while he did present some things that shows the Qur'an was right about some things (and not about others, such as the atmosphere), he did not present any logical reason to suggest that it was God's word.

We can also see that he is involved in two other debates on this exact same topic, so I was hoping he might like to debate a slightly different view, but it turns out he doesn't.

If he would like to try again and actually debate the accuracy of the Qur'an being the words of God, without imposing the false dichotomy. I would love to do that debate with him.

Posted by belle 6 years ago
belle
bit of an overuse of the word fallacy don't you think? hehe
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
RFD, Burdon of proof is on the AFF which was never clearly established. Each side cited 1 source. No significant differences in spelling/courtesies.

I had the impression that the intent was that this was to be a battle between the Qur'an and the Bible?
Posted by Ore_Ele 6 years ago
Ore_Ele
Pro is also doing this same debate with two other people (three debates total). I thought a different point of view would be a nice change.
Posted by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
I have to vote pro because the debate is titled "Quran vs Bible" and con did not argue for either. It specifically states what pro wants to debate.
Posted by Sieben 6 years ago
Sieben
Conduct given to pro since con joined a debate with a slightly different intention in mind.
Posted by Funkymonkey 6 years ago
Funkymonkey
To OreEle, the only reason that you won the battle is because my computer shut down. If we had a remach i bet you i'll win!
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
Dave34Ore_EleTied
Vote Placed by hauki20 6 years ago
hauki20
Dave34Ore_EleTied
Vote Placed by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
Dave34Ore_EleTied
Vote Placed by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
Dave34Ore_EleTied
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
Dave34Ore_EleTied
Vote Placed by Sieben 6 years ago
Sieben
Dave34Ore_EleTied
Vote Placed by GavinAurion 6 years ago
GavinAurion
Dave34Ore_EleTied