Krestoff
Inquisitive

R; Public schools should offer martial arts P.E. classes

Krestoff

Krestoff

Pro

A preface: As a student of martial arts I have been higly satisfied with the results of my experience over the past four years. However, the expense and time dedication of various martial arts tends to reserve the practice only for socioeconomic elites & middle-class who have a surplus of both. In foreign counties that take pride in their history of martial arts (e.g. Japan & Judo, Thailand & Muay Thai) classes and competitive teams are offered in public schoos, making the practice accessible to all persons. Why not the United States? I find myself wondering what arguments there are against such a proposition and welcome any and all disagreement.

Hence the proposition: Public schools should offer P.E. classes that teach martial art(s).

Rules:
1. Arguments will follow the acceptance, constructive, first rebuttle & final rebuttle (no new arguments) form.
2. Both debaters are held to a burden of proof.
3. Semantic and abusive arguments will be ignored.
4. Any questions or clarification should be held in the comments section.

Definitions:
Public Schools - Any educational institution in the U.S.A. pulically funded.
Martial Arts - Any physical practice that is either based in or derives from armed/unarmed combat.
P.E. Classes - Physical education classes that are requisites for graduation

Inquisitive

Con

Burden of proof is on pro.
Krestoff

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for arguing with me on this topic. I hope we can have a productive and educational debate here.

C1: Physical Wellbeing
Martial arts serves as a method of exercise that is highly beneficial because it [1]:

1. Builds & stimulates muscle groups that mostly are unstimulated in the average student's life

2. Increases coordination

Both are important to build in America's youth as we become increasingly unhealthy and auto accidents and fatalities are growing again among the youth. [2]

The obesity rate in the U.S. has tripled in the past 20 years among teens and is set to grow even more[3], meaning that we should explore alternative methods to enhance the physical wellbeing of students other than the other methods that we have used that appear to have had little effect. Martial arts is affective where other forms of P.E. aren't and can be used at a variety of levels to get students involved in physical activity. [4]

Secondly, the accident rate among youth in this country can be casually related to the growing use of texting and phones while driving; this statistic has been more or less stable until 2003 when arguably mobile phones became more popular among the youth. While this is extraneous, I would argue that the increase in coordination of students that take these classes would improve their ability to drive safely and build better reaction times in traffic.

[1] http://www.dumblittleman.com...

[2] http://articles.washingtonpost.com...

[3] http://www.cdc.gov...

[4] http://www.your-health-online.com...

C2: Mental Dicipline & Social Benefits

Martial arts has been researched as a method to assist troubled youth, build better social relationships and develop self-discipline in it's practitioners. [5][6][7] The main way this is done is by creating a structured group environment that teaches self-control, respect and an acceptible method to release aggression. The end result is a group of people that are “at peace with themselves” and each other, which for some students that are shunned by their peers causing the “toubled teen” and is key to improving their social welbeing.

[5] http://ftp.pwp.att.net...

[6] http://www.pe4bodymindspirit.santacruz.k12.ca.us...

[7] http://www.scribd.com...

C3: Self-Defense
Of course, teaching students self-defense seems to go hand in hand with martial arts, but we live in a polite society these days right? There is no need to be able to defend yourself (I mean heck, the only time I ever got into fist fights were before and after I was in high school). In case you didn't catch that, that statement was wholly sarcastic. Protection of our youth serves it's purpose, however it serves another purpose: building self-efficacy.

Students that are taught to defend themselves rate themselves higher on tests of percieved efficacy, making them more active and assertive in their adult lives – traits that I think we can agree enable a person to be more successful.[7]

Also, considering that these are coed classes (implied at least) there is a distinct benefit to protecting women from assault. Martial arts classes are a key means to improving a woman's ability to resist rape and victimization.[8] When at least a fifth of women experience rape in their lifetime in this country[9], this is a pretty significant effect. Since I'm not one to say women belong in the kitchen, I think that's a moderately good idea.

[8] http://search.proquest.com...

[9] http://www.nytimes.com...

Meta: Lastly, BoP goes both ways friend. I hate to have a meta-debate but by agreeing to the debate you agree to the terms I set. Disagreeing without providing articulated reasons why does not protect you from the BoP. I've presented warrants why the proposition is a good idea, if you want to argue why it is bad independant of or counter to my argumentation, you need to provide proof as well. Otherwise your argumentation is simply going to come down to unsubstantiated claims which, from what I can tell by this community already, is not looked fondly upon because it serves only as a detriment to the debate by not presenting productive & educational arguments.

Inquisitive

Con

My opponent wishes there to be a 'shared' BOP... I will then accept this but I refuse to meet it this round and merely wish to play Devil's Advocate, poking hole's in the pro case. I'll present a more constructive case in a later round.

I shall be quoting my opponent and rebutting quote by quote.

"Martial arts serves as a method of exercise that is highly beneficial because it [1]:
  2. Increases coordination"

1. If the muscle are mostly non-stimulated in a student's life it is in itself clear that students don't need those muscles to be exercised. If there is not an inherent NEED for students of public schools to stimulate them is it really wise for these low budget schools to fund a sport where, unlike football, muscles that are quite unnecessary to a student, are stimulated? I think not.

2. All sports increase co-ordination, this is pretty futile in being specific to martial arts.

"Both are important to build in America's youth as we become increasingly unhealthy and auto accidents and fatalities are growing again among the youth." I don't see how exercising muscles which a student clearly doesn't use or need are going to be necessary in becoming healthy when they could instead do a standard sport like football, baseball or hockey that exercises the legs, which are heavily used in walking from class to class every day, build cardio and of course (especially the batting in baseball and dribbling in hockey) increase co-ordination. In fact co-ordination increasing to avoid car accidents require alertness and strong legs to slam the brakes in time. Unless you are specifically referring to tae kwon do, most martial arts only use legs 50% or less with most moves consisting of use of arms and upper body strength. Thus most car accident would be avoided by sports having a high inclusion of running and these sports are the ones already funded by public schools.

"The obesity rate in the U.S. Has tripled in the past 20 years among teens and is set to grow even more[3], meaning that we should explore alternative methods to enhance the physical well being of students other than the other methods that we have used that appear to have had little effect. Martial arts is affective[sic] where other forms of P.E. Aren't and can be used at a variety of levels to get students involved in physical activity." You made a fundamental error here in the way you drew the conclusion from the evidence. You say that teen obesity has risen in the past 20 years however this is due to overeating more than lack of exercise and if it was due to lack of exercise, it merely would mean that we have to increase periods of time spent doing PE rather than change the sport they do, this is as silly as eating apple pie instead of strawberry pie and thinking you're eating more pie (if pie were the cure to obesity).

I shall now provide proof that obesity is far more due to diet than activity level.

Evidence: http://tinyurl.com...

"Now a controversial study has found for the first time that children who are obese do less exercise because they are already overweight. The findings suggest that junk food and overfeeding from an early age is responsible for childhood obesity rather than children increasingly staying inside to watch TV and play video games."

Essentially (as is agreed with every single other source you can find on the matter) both food and exercise affect weight gain but first one must be skinny enough to do exercise (not anorexic of course!). So fundamentally, merely doing martial arts will not change anything since the children who do a lot of sports will be doing a lot anyway and those who don't, will barely see a change in weight (they'd be happy to just stick to white or yellow belt for the whole schooling life).

"Secondly, the accident rate among youth in this country can be casually related to the growing use of texting and phones while driving; this statistic has been more or less stable until 2003 when arguably mobile phones became more popular among the youth. While this is extraneous, I would argue that the increase in coordination of students that take these classes would improve their ability to drive safely and build better reaction times in traffic." The point is that ALLL SPORTS increase co-ordination. Having to bat in baseball, to both catch, dodge players and pass in American Football or to dribble, dodge and shoot in hockey all require extreme stamina, agility and co-ordination. It is no better or worse than martial arts, just different in the way it trains one to be more co-ordinated. There is no reason to suddenly offer martial arts when standard sports are already offered.

"Martial arts has been researched as a method to assist troubled youth, build better social relationships and develop self-discipline in it's[sic] practitioners. [5][6][7] The main way this is done is by creating a structured group environment that teaches self-control, respect and an acceptable method to release aggression. The end result is a group of people that are “at peace with themselves” and each other, which for some students that are shunned by their peers causing the “troubled teen” and is key to improving their social well-being." This applies to all sports and is not solely an attribute of martial arts specifically.

"Students that are taught to defend themselves rate themselves higher on tests of perceived efficacy, making them more active and assertive in their adult lives – traits that I think we can agree enable a person to be more successful." Every single martial I have ever known to exist is unlike almost all other sports because it doesn't want you to be "assertive" it wants you to be a humble student. In an American Football match it's all about aggression adrenaline and a pumping spirit of "I WILL BEAT YOU!" whenever facing an opponent. In martial arts it's more about "I will humbly display the art that I have spent so many years mastering." This isn't just shown in movies depicting the humility that creates a martial arts champion but simply from the fact that martial arts is all about one sensei dictating your lifestyle and diet and day to day activity in order to succeed. It's not a sport to encourage assertion, but rather quiet confidence, the silent warrior, the humble student. These are all examples of the martial artist. As for the rating point. ALL sports rate you on efficacy.

"Also, considering that these are coed classes (implied at least) there is a distinct benefit to protecting women from assault." Since this will be a compulsory PE sport, it's very likely that most of the women will either not really care about it or, at most, get to yellow belt. PE is nothing like attending a regular competitive club of the sport. A PE class in martial arts would be a piss-take I mean come on you really think after one term of that sport these women are really that much better off when suddenly overcome by fear and terror at the hands of a guy twice their strength? Let's be realistic here. This is PE, those who care about it would be doing martial arts outside of PE anyway, those who don't wouldn't care anyway.

I conclude that you have merely explained the benefits of PE and tried to twist it to fit martial arts specifically. This is a fallacy of logic and thus I await your counter and perhaps new contentions in round three.

Krestoff

Pro

Krestoff forfeited this round.
Inquisitive

Con

Inquisitive forfeited this round.
Krestoff

Pro

Allow the round to forfeit without any votes since both of us have forfeited.
Inquisitive

Con

Inquisitive forfeited this round.
Posted by Krestoff 4 years ago
Krestoff
Forfeiting, I've got an exam around the same time the time allotment is up - education comes before online argumentation. I'd be happy to revisit this topic with the same arguments thus far if you'd be up for it Inquisitive.
Vote Placed by YYW 4 years ago
YYW
KrestoffInquisitiveTied
Reasons for voting decision: Well this was difficult to determine.
Vote Placed by Subutai 4 years ago
Subutai
KrestoffInquisitiveTied
Reasons for voting decision: Inquisitive's account has been closed, so I give the debate to pro.