funnybrad333
beem0r

RESOLVED: All debate resolutions should not be one sided

beem0r

funnybrad333

Pro

I am tired of people posting one sided debates. They are just farming their own win to loss ratio on a debate website, speaks so much of their character.
You are forced to post bizarre, off the wall arguments, but then they get mad and remove your argument; they were expecting a free win.

Debates such as
http://www.debate.org...
and
http://www.debate.org...
are prime examples.

Please stop making one sided resolutions. If you agree vote Affirmation.
beem0r

Con

I will respond to my opponent's claims.

"Farming their win ratio... speaks so much of their character."
Not necessarily. They may simply be trying to prove dissenters wrong or seeking a challenge, as in this debate:
http://www.debate.org...

"Forced to post... they get mad and remove your argument"
No one forces you to post anything. An ordinary user can only have your argument removed if it is spam or otherwise breaks the TOS.

"Debates such as X and Y..."
As long as someone is willing to argue against it, there is nothing wrong with it. Even if no one takes it, the debate simply expires, so there is no reason to restrict these types of resolutions.

People should continue making whatever resolutions they want.
funnybrad333

Pro

I would like to clarify the purpose of this debate.
RESOLVED: All debate resolutions SHOULD not be one sided.
I am questioning the ethics of one sided debates.

Of course avoiding one sided debates would solve there useless existence, but why even make them? Why would someone do such a thing? To show off a better a win-loss ratio perhaps?
One sided debates are for selfish, vain people that have nothing better to do. And not only is the existence of these topics bad, but also this.
They do not allow you to attack from original angles.
So now not only did they rig the debate, but they also don't allow you to stretch the parameters, or even question the idea of what they propose.
In conclusion, only a controversial topic leads to prope
beem0r

Con

Possible reasons to make one-sided arguments [unaddressed from R1]:. People might want to challenge themselves by taking the opposite side [see my R1 for example], or they might want to prove their point to the opposition [since even one-sided arguments usually have opposition].

"They do not allow you to attack from original angles." This is completely false. How could they stop you? As I said last round, they can only have your argument removed if it violates the TOS. Attacking a debate from an original angle is not a breach of the TOS, so they can do nothing about it. One-sided debates allow for a greater challenge. Also, both sides must agree to debate, so no one is hurt by these.

There is no problem with one-sided resolutions.
funnybrad333

Pro

funnybrad333 forfeited this round.
beem0r

Con

As so many do, my opponent in this debate has failed to come up with any sort of response to my previous arguments and has forfeited his third and final round.
My opponent has failed to defend his arguments against my refutations, so they fall, and my arguments stand unrefuted. Thus, voting for CON seems wisest.
Thank ye for reading.
Posted by beem0r 8 years ago
beem0r
http://www.debate.org...
Tell me about it.
It's because debate.org wasn't putting my debates on the front page when they finished. I don't know why, but the problem seems to have been fixed.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
Voting participation is surely lacking on this site more often than not.
Posted by beem0r 8 years ago
beem0r
Actually, I can't vote either, since I haven't done the identity confirmation yet.
Posted by funnybrad333 8 years ago
funnybrad333
If only I could vote for myself... Stupid Phone requirements are an invasion of privacy.

You shouldn't win because you relinquish your rights.
Posted by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
Those types of debates are also good places to just have fun :P

http://www.debate.org...
Posted by beem0r 8 years ago
beem0r
I figured. The 750 character limit is very restrictive.
Posted by funnybrad333 8 years ago
funnybrad333
The ending of R2 was "proper debate."

Sorry, I was trying to work within the character limit and I after switching it several times I didn't notice the end was omitted.

It was originally, "In Conclusion, one sided debate topics do not allow proper debate.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
"You are forced to post bizarre, off the wall arguments, but then they get mad and remove your argument; they were expecting a free win."

Uh no, you aren't "forced" to do anything. You choose to take up the debate just as you choose the kind of arguments you wish to use. If you want to impede these kinds of debates, then the simple solution is simply refrain from participating in them.
Posted by beem0r 8 years ago
beem0r
That second debate is very arguable. By no means is it one-sided.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
I agree.
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
funnybrad333beem0rTied