studentathletechristian8
alisha6244

RESOLVED: Holy Communion should be received only by people of Catholic faith

studentathletechristian8

studentathletechristian8

Con

I stand in negation to the resolution, "RESOLVED: Holy Communion should be received only by people of Catholic faith."

I shall start by clarifying with definitions:

Holy Communion- The sacrament of the Eucharist received by a congregation.
http://dictionary.reference.com...

should- must; ought (used to indicate duty, propriety, or expediency)
http://dictionary.reference.com...

The rest of the resolution, (be received only by people of Catholic faith), simply means that only Catholics (excluding Protestants and any other denomination of Christians or other religions) should receive Holy Communion.

In my religion class in school several weeks ago, we took a quiz on how well we know the Catholic faith. It is a Catholic school, but as can be read by my profile, I am a Methodist. So, as my peers and I were taking this quiz, we came upon this question (this comes directly from the quiz, I will put the source below):

5. Holy Communion may be taken by

a. Anyone at all, so long as his conscience tells him it is the right thing to do.

b. Any Christian who wishes to manifest the unity which Christ willed for his Church.

c. Catholics in the state of grace, but not by Protestants even if they are in the state of grace.

d. Catholics who have committed mortal sins and are sorry for them, even if they have not confessed them yet in confession.

e. None of the above.

The answer to this question provided by the website was:

c. Correct. Since Protestants do not believe as Catholics do regarding the Real Presence, they may not take Communion, even if they are in the state of grace. The very act of taking Communion is a visible sign that you believe exactly as the Catholic Church teaches concerning the Real Presence, and Protestants don't.

The source for the question and answer is:
http://www.catholic.com...

When my peers and I saw this answer, I was enraged. Because the rest of them were Catholic, they did not realize why I was mad. I engaged in a heated debate with them about this question. Their main contention was simply "Catholics are the only ones who deserve it: they have the right beliefs in God." They had no real justification, and it truly angered me. They acted pompous and arrogant, as if God had only chosen Catholics to accept this privilege.

I firmly believe that Catholics are not the only ones who should receive Holy Communion. As a true Catholic knows, Jesus was the founder of the Catholic faith, but would Jesus want to discriminate others from accepting Holy Communion? I have more faith and belief in Jesus than half of the Catholics in my class, so why should I, a non-Catholic, be turned from receiving Holy Communion?

This was a bit of an introductory, I wait for my opponent's response.
alisha6244

Pro

Communion should only be received by people of Catholic Faith because it is their religion and they had to receive their first Communion unlike others who have not received it and want to come into THEIR church and receive something that they are not prepared for. When in the Catholic faith you must take classes on the importance of the communion, and because they have took those classes, they know when the can and cannot receive their communion. For example if during the week that person commits a mortal sin, they cannot go up and accept communion until the following week.
If you feel that you want to accept Communion you should begin taking classes so that you can receive your first communion. Some churches feel that they do not have to accept communion on a daily/weekly, but on a yearly or monthly basis. Accepting the sacrament of communion is accepting the body of Christ, and accepting communion out of turn is wrong. If you feel that accepting communion is very important to join a catholic church. you should not want to accept things that you know do not belong to you, but you feel that you should have.
studentathletechristian8

Con

I thank my opponent for accepting this challenge.

"Communion should only be received by people of Catholic Faith because it is their religion"
I am Methodist. At my church, The First United Methodist Church, we celebrate Holy Communion every week in our youth group and once a month in the adult congregation. Obviously the Holy Communion applies to other religions than Catholicism if Methodists celebrate it. So you need to prove why Holy Communion should only be applied to Catholic faith and not other Christian or non-Christian beliefs, which you have not with this comment.

"they had to receive their first Communion unlike others who have not received it and want to come into THEIR church and receive something that they are not prepared for"
So receiving First Communion dignifies only Catholics to receive Holy Communion? Other denominations of Christianity experience Confirmation class, where they learn to accept Jesus and the significance of the Eucharist. What is so special about receiving First Communion that Catholics have the right to turn non-Catholics away from Holy Communion? When you say others want to come into THEIR church, I assume you mean the Catholic church. Once again, there are other non-Catholic churches that celebrate Holy Communion. Catholics should be pleased if others want to come and celebrate the Holy Communion. Jesus, founder of the Catholic faith, would NEVER have turned anyone away. He invited others of different religions to come and celebrate life and spirituality. And saying that non-Catholics are not prepared for it? That is pretty harsh. Millions of non-Catholics have accepted Christ into their life and understand the Eucharist, so why wouldn't we be prepared? You presented no justification.

"When in the Catholic faith you must take classes on the importance of the communion, and because they have took those classes, they know when the can and cannot receive their communion"
This comes back to what I stated about Confirmation classes. Other Christian denominations have their members take Confirmation classes- where they fully learn about Jesus and Holy Communion - just like Catholics! Why would it matter even if they took classes? If one wants to receive the spirit of Christ through Holy Communion, why should Catholics only partake in it? Catholics are not above any other religion or faith. You need to prove if there is any actual evidence that only Catholics should receive Holy Communion. In other words, you need to prove the WHY.

"If you feel that you want to accept Communion you should begin taking classes so that you can receive your first communion"
Why does this matter? Is this a requirement to accept Holy Communion? Is it in Scripture? Why does it matter? If anyone is feeling the need to help with their spirituality by accepting Holy Communion, why should they be turned down? I thought Catholics were supposed to be passionate and accepting of others, just like your founder, Jesus. you still have to prove why Catholics are the only ones who should accept Holy Communion.

"Some churches feel that they do not have to accept communion on a daily/weekly, but on a yearly or monthly basis"
This statement does not correlate a point whatsoever, so it does not need a rebuttal.

"Accepting the sacrament of communion is accepting the body of Christ, and accepting communion out of turn is wrong."
You need to prove why non-Catholics accepting Holy Communion out of turn is wrong. I accept Christ and His body, so why would I, a non-Catholic, be out of turn accepting Holy Communion? You must provide evidence or logical reasoning.

"If you feel that accepting communion is very important to join a catholic church"
Why do I have to join a Catholic church to accept Communion? I accept it rightfully at my Methodist Church. You must provide actual evidence that only Catholics should accept Holy Communion, and once again, you have not.

"you should not want to accept things that you know do not belong to you, but you feel that you should have."
This is a ridiculous statement. How do I know Holy Communion does not belong to me and my fellow millions of non-Catholics? Why should Catholics only accept Holy Communion? There is no reference to this in Scriptures. You Catholics are taught through CCD that only Catholics can accept Holy Communion, and you believe it only because it was said. You have no proof given on why, so you have not yet provided a real argument.

I have refuted my opponent's points. My opponent needs to provide actual evidence or reasoning why only Catholics should receive Holy Communion.
alisha6244

Pro

alisha6244 forfeited this round.
studentathletechristian8

Con

My opponent has forfeited the previous round, so all of my arguments stand.

My opponent has also failed to show WHY only Catholics should receive Holy Communion. She has not provided any proof or evidence that shows WHY Holy Communion should only be designated for Catholics.

There is not any biblical or substantial evidence to show that gives Catholics a superior position in accepting Holy Communion over other religions or denominations.

I heavily urge a CON vote. My opponent has failed to make a standing argument. Thank you.
alisha6244

Pro

alisha6244 forfeited this round.
Posted by Thomas007 3 years ago
Thomas007
I am aware it is three years past, however.

1)Communion is with "The Holy Spirit" Day by Day.
2)Him that is not saved by Grace and Faith in "The Resurrection Of Christ Jesus" is unworthy.
3)It would be wise to consider our errors and confess them to The Lord before Holy Communion.
4)Is it not written "we are One Body" do ye think that Christ's Body is limited only to one group.
5)Do ye not know that Christ was sent for God's People of Jewish decent and He made this clear in Matthew 15:27.
6)It is God who ordains Priest with Power and not man.

God Bless Brother in Christ Jesus.
Posted by Galiban 7 years ago
Galiban
Thank you,
That helps in why it makes you angry.

I would agree with you. Paul never denied communion to those whom he knew were taking it without believing. All he did was say they should not do it as it is killing them. The improper way was not as the Catholics claim today (not believing it was the real body and blood) but in context they were actually having meals (like the passover feast which was a real meal) and discounting the poor at the table and also getting drunk. They did not treat the communion as important.

1 Cor 11:27-31

27 Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.
NIV

The fact that it was originally a meal and noone was doing it as the Catholic Church does today also points to the fact that the Catholic Church is not doing it correctly themselves.

Just some more thoughts.

Thank you for making me think on it!
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
Galiban- I appreciate your commentary.

"Quick Question - why does it infuriate you that Catholics will not allow protestants to take communion? What scripturally is there that a schism should not be made over such a thing?"
The main thing is the fact that when we were discussing it, the Catholics were acting really pompous and arrogant about it when I am more religiously devouted than they are. They could no justify their claim, so it enraged me that they could sort of discriminate without real evidence.

Both of my parents are Catholic. I am not. When my mother (a Catholic) attended a strict religious Catholic wedding, the priest who was doing the service loudly demanded that no people other than Catholics may be invited to take Holy Communion. It just irritates me that Catholics say this, but it's not like I'm not Christian, because I am. I'm Methodist. I receive Holy Communion in the First United Methodist Church. I attended Confirmation classes and accepted Jesus in my heart. Why should I be turned from taking Holy Communion?
Posted by Galiban 7 years ago
Galiban
Con/Student Athlete,
Quick Question - why does it infuriate you that Catholics will not allow protestants to take communion? What scripturally is there that a schism should not be made over such a thing?

The Lutheran Church and all protestants have a directly different belief. That all that are present can take communion that is personally between them and God if they are not right.

I also do not believe that the Catholic Priest would openly refuse you should you go up to take it (though there may be a few that would in the world).

I believe the protestants hold that Paul was pointing to only those that should stop participating in the Eucharist are the ones that do so with evil motivations. They were drinking thier own death. Sound argument that Paul never called the Church to deny the Eucharist to anyone only that those taking it wrongly were under the wrath of God.

Just some thoughts.
Posted by Galiban 7 years ago
Galiban
Interesting debate.
I guess to pro directly:
Why is the Catholic "right" in restricting the Eucharist to just people who believe as the Catholic do? There is no scripture or traditional argument to support such an interpretation.

Also why is it superior to give communion once a week? What makes monthly or yearly out of turn? Why does that become wrong? What level of wrong? Mortal or venial?

What I am asking with those questions is what superior biblical interpretation of Cannon do you have that denotes those claims? To win a debate you have to link sources that show a superior interpretation.
NOT just that an interpretation has always existed but WHY that interpretation of the scripture accurately aligns with the Catholic Churches current application.
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
studentathletechristian8alisha6244Tied