DoctrinallyCorrect
animpossiblepossibility

RESOLVED: The Bible Teaches That Baptism Must Be Administered in the Name of Jesus.

animpossiblepossibility

DoctrinallyCorrect

Pro

RESOLVED: The Bible Teaches Baptism Must Administered in the Name of Jesus.

I will set out to show that Christian baptism was administered in the name of Jesus Christ and not the titles Father, Son or Spirit.

I will begin with the record of baptisms in the New Testament. If any other proof or argumentation is necessary then we will offer it at that time.

The following is the birthday of the church on Pentecost.

Acts 2:38 KJV
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The following is the account of the conversions of Samaria.

Acts 8:16 KJV
16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Further proof.

Acts 10:48 ESV
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.

Acts 19:5 KJV
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

One can clearly see by looking at Acts 2:38, 8:16, 10:48, that baptism was in the name of Jesus Christ.

This is only an opening to get you started, this will become much more detailed I am sure. I am fully prepared for that as we proceed. I await your response.
animpossiblepossibility

Con

I thank my opponent for starting this debate, as I am sure many Christians and non-Christians have been going back and forth on this issue for quite some time now. The first thing that I ask is that the King James Version (or KJV) be the only version permitted, so as to not confuse the audience about the wording each version offers. Now with that in mind, I will begin.

First of all, this debate encompasses the much larger issue of whether or not the Trinity exists, which I will try to prove that it does. However, I do not feel as though three rounds are enough to prove this, but I will try my best.

"I will set out to show that Christian baptism was administered in the name of Jesus Christ and not the titles Father, Son or Spirit."

I would like for my opponent to elaborate on the term "was." How far back are you willing to go? Genesis?

Now my opponent is trying to prove that baptisms must be administered ONLY in the name of Jesus and not in the Father, Son, or Holy Spirit.

If this were the case, why did Jesus himself state in Matthew 28:19:

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

This clearly states that Christians should be baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, whose full triune name is Lord Jesus Christ. I will elaborate on this name shortly.

My opponent uses various verses from Acts to prove his claim, but he does not take the verses in the full context of each chapter. By detailing each of my opponent's verses mentioned in view of the full context, I will prove that all of them mention the Trinity, with its triune name being Lord Jesus Christ.

1. Acts 2:38 KJV:
"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Verse 36, two verses earlier, reveals the full name:

Acts 2:36 KJV:
"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hat made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ."

2. Acts 8:16 KJV:

(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Verse 12, four verses earlier, reveals the full name in the context of the chapter:

Acts 8:12 KJV:
"But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

3.Acts 10:48 KJV:
"And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days."

Verse 36, 12 verses earlier, reveals the full name yet again:

Acts 10:36 KJV:
"The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)"

4. Acts 19:5 KJV:
"When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus."

Verse 4,

"Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus."

Again, all three parts, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, namely Lord Jesus Christ, are in the context of each of the verses my opponent mentioned. Now, my opponent may disagree with the triune name, so I will prove each name in the scriptures:

1. Father is named Lord
Isaiah 42:8 KJV:
"I am the LORD: that is my name:"
Jeremiah 33:2 KJV:
"the LORD is his name;"

2. Son is named Jesus
Matthew 1:21 KJV:
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus"

3. Christ is the Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost), the anointing
Acts 10:38 KJV:
"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power:"
(This is also proof for the Trinity, is it not?)
1 John 2:27 KJV:
"But the anointing which ye have received of him [Holy Spirit] abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

The first triune name occurs in Acts 2:36 and occurs again in Colossians 2:6:
"As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:"

Now, if my opponent would like for me to prove that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not all named Jesus, I will gladly do so next round.

I would like to mention to my opponent three verses as my opening argument, Genesis 1:26, Acts 2:34, and 1 John 5:7.

Gen 1:26 KJV:
"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after out likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

Anyone who has researched and studied the Bible knows that God is not speaking to angels, for they were not given the power to create. God is speaking to Jesus. How can this verse not relate to the Trinity?

Acts 2:34 KJV:
"For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,"

This was copied word for word from my KJV Bible. Why is Lord capitalized two different ways? If Jesus represents all three, why would Jesus tell himself to sit at his right hand? This does not make any sense. The LORD= God, the Father, my Lord=Jesus.

1 John 5:7 KJV:
"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." Trinity=Tri-unity or 1*1*1=1

From my understanding of the Bible, the name of the Trinity (Matthew 28:19) and the name of Jesus (Acts 8:16) are complementary of one another, where neither is an exclusive formula for baptisms. They both offer the same effect. In conclusion, one should have the choice of using either as their baptism.
DoctrinallyCorrect

Pro

DoctrinallyCorrect forfeited this round.
animpossiblepossibility

Con

My opponent has tried to justify that baptisms must be administered only in the name of Jesus by using four verses from Acts. I have clearly shown in the previous round that all of the verses he mentioned include the triune name Lord Jesus Christ. Not only that, but also I have shown that in Matthew 28:19, Jesus himself said that Christians should be baptized in the name of the "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost." I gave my opponent three verses that prove the Trinity exists, and he has yet to refute them. Vote CON.
DoctrinallyCorrect

Pro

animpossiblepossibility

Con

I don't know why my opponent has continuously forfeited. I never said that I conceded the debate, so I guess the audience should only consider the first round for voting.
Posted by DoctrinallyCorrect 7 years ago
DoctrinallyCorrect
Since events prevented me from participating in this debate, my opponent should be the winner.
Posted by animpossiblepossibility 7 years ago
animpossiblepossibility
I'm sure you want me to :). No, I decided to post today instead of in a couple days b/c I have my info in place now.
DoctrinallyCorrect
what do you mean that you canged your mind? Does that mean that you conceed the debate.
animpossiblepossibility
Changed my mind, I have all info I need now.
animpossiblepossibility
I will formally accept the debate in a couple of days, as I am researching and gathering info right now. I am a nondenominational evangelical. I will admit that this will be more of a debate on the Trinity and not on Baptisms, as implied by Pro.
Posted by Kleptin 7 years ago
Kleptin
Define Baptism. I'm pretty sure that in the Old Testament, there are accounts of baptism-like rituals, prior to the time of Jesus.
DoctrinallyCorrect
That the Trinitarian baptismal is invalid
Posted by questionmark 7 years ago
questionmark
what are you trying to prove with this?
DoctrinallyCorrect
if you can round up a christian to deny, then I will be happy to have this debate. You are right this is a debate that only works within Christianity.
Posted by brian_eggleston 7 years ago
brian_eggleston
I hope that this debate is accepted by another Christian as I would be genuinely interested to witness an proper ecumenical debate on this site, rather than just theists and atheists slug it out as usual.

(You will note I'm not religious myself, by the way).
Vote Placed by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
DoctrinallyCorrectanimpossiblepossibilityTied