kylet357
NDECD1441

Race is a Poor Indicator for Differences Between Humans

kylet357 has forfeited round #2.

kylet357

Pro

I am starting this debate as another one I took part in with a similar subject didn't continue past my acceptance of the debate. I'm going to explain my position(s):
-I am of the opinion that race is poorly defined in general, and does not hold any scientific weight. The slight variations in skin colour and any other physical properties does not warrant any reason to separate these so-called 'races' of humanity, and this goes two-fold for those that hold these races to be separate species of human.

I am going to be looking at this topic from an Anthropological perspective and analyzing what the science says on this topic. For the majority of this debate, when I'm referring to race I am probably referring to differences in skin colour (though I may use different variations of the word, depending on the context).

I wish my opponent, whomever it may be, good luck.

Structure of the debate:
Round 1: acceptance and statement of position (no arguments or rebuttals)
Rounds 2, 3, 4: Arguments and rebuttals
Round 5: Closing statement (may be used as an additional argument. If so, one must state it is an additional argument. This round is optional).

For those who are going to judge this debate, please keep this structure in mind when doing so. Do not judge either myself or the opponent on the first and fifth rounds (unless it is used for an additional argument).
NDECD1441

Con

I accept. However before we move on, what is the definition of the debate?
Posted by EXOPrimal 7 months ago
EXOPrimal
I feel that race is beyond just skin color, i'l accept if we can agree on this definition of race, or another clear definition:

race: a term that refers to groups of people who have differences and similarities in biological traits deemed by society to be socially significant
Posted by kylet357 7 months ago
kylet357
That is true (to a degree), and was a point that I planned on tackling if it popped up. While sickle cell anemia does disproportionately affect Black people more than other races, it's a disease that is around mostly due to geographic reasons rather than their race (which is why it mostly affects Africans, and less so for Europeans).
Posted by Arganger 7 months ago
Arganger
I agree with you for the most part so I won't accept, but medically there is some use for race, as some diseases are more common for certain races, for instance Sickle Cell Anemia.