Acrossthespectrum10
tumeric

Racial profiling is not always racist

Acrossthespectrum10 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Acrossthespectrum10

Pro

Racial profiling is not always racist. For instance, it is generally true that ethnic minorities tend to fill the lower end of the socio-economic scale. Poorer individuals are more likely to seek black market opportunities for income, and criminal behavior because of financial pressures in their life. To perceive a muslim traveller from a Muslim country harboring terrorists and to associate his ethnicity with terrorists of the same ethnicity does not imply a prejudice. Rather, it may be entirely necessary to acknowledge that certain societal and cultural factors make one statistically more likely to be associated with such groups. Regardless of the discomfort of perceived injustice felt be the searched individual, this kind of profiling actually ensures that other individuals like them aren't able to go hide in the fabric of their subculture to commit crimes.
tumeric

Con

"this kind of profiling actually ensures that other individuals LIKE THEM aren't able to go hide in the fabric of their subculture to commit crimes" (emphasis added)

The implication of your statement is that criminal individuals who do not fit the profile are able to hide. If a minority is more likely to get hit for the same crime than someone else is, that's the racist part. Also, if that person is searched regarding a crime they did not commit, they are far more likely to be found guilty of something minor, or minor crimes used as a pretext for a search where a white person would never have been bothered.

In addition, I would say that racial groups may be correlated with certain crimes statistically, the justice system works on an individual basis. On an individual basis, there may be no correlation. You can't be judged for what you are statistically likely to do.
Posted by Acrossthespectrum10 1 year ago
Acrossthespectrum10
Consider it intellectual masochism
Acrossthespectrum10
I guess by your idea of prejudice, that is exactly what I mean yes. Perhaps we can discuss the topic sense I am willingly taking the lower hand in this debate for a purpose. There's a reason for the low limits on it. It is a safe space to discuss issues from multiple perspectives because it is intellectually stimulating in a lonerish way. I think we're all prejudiced so I want to explore mine so I can get rid of it.

So I guess what politely trying to say is f*** you and challenge me because I don't care about winning I just want to talk about this in an objective way.
Posted by jo154676 1 year ago
jo154676
I think the poster meant that sometimes prejudice is not bad
Posted by sboss18 1 year ago
sboss18
That is the literal definition of "prejudice".