funwiththoughts
terrorizedorphan1

Racial slurs are not offensive

terrorizedorphan1

funwiththoughts

Pro

I am arguing that racial slurs, such as "nigger" or "faggot" are not, on their own, intrinsically offensive unless one chooses to be offended by them. When I say racial slurs, I mean words that are deemed socially unacceptable that refer to a particular uncontrollable, but not inherently bad trait.

Rules:

1. No talking about public opinion-it is not relevant to what is intrinsically offensive.
2. No personal insults
3. No forfeits

Debate is open to anyone who accepts. First round is not for acceptance. Burden of proof is on my opponent.
terrorizedorphan1

Con

I as opposition believe that Racial slurs are in fact offensive and I would like to be speaking in my later arguements about why it is:
1.discriminatory
2. A form of oppression
3. a look on history as to where it has been used
and finally why I see it as objectification and something we should have grown out of
funwiththoughts

Pro

Well, as the burden of proof is on you, and you did not post any arguments, I don't actually need to argue. However, I will say right now that I don't care "where it has been used". That has no effect on whether or not it is intrinsically offensive (meaning that it and its meaning would still be offensive regardless of context.
terrorizedorphan1

Con

I believe in fact that it does matter on where it has been used in our history because we have inherited their words and for most times the words were used in a negative context for example nigger was a word used in the 60s by the white people to describe slaves and humans whom they have deemed lower than them which is segregation. Words like these are condemned in society today for a reason and that's because they are racist ,we cant expect to call ourselves equal if we treat each other differently and i believe that racial slurs are examples of negative treatment. My burden of proof is: racial slurs are negative on society because of inequality
funwiththoughts

Pro

Well, it may have once been used to mean "slave". But that was then, and this is now. And what does it mean now? It means a black person. So, if "black person" isn't offensive, then why is the n-word? You're right, we can't expect to call ourselves equal if we treat each other differently. But calling someone a "n***er" or "f**got" is not treating someone differently. When I say racial slurs are not offensive, I speak in general terms, not only those used to describe minorities. Furthermore, I asked why they were intrinsically offensive. This means that they would still be offensive even if they were not deemed offensive. You have not shown that.

Also, minor nitpick: I do believe you mean your "proof" is. More importantly, like I said, it is not inequality because I believe ALL racial slurs are not offensive, not just those used to describe minorities.
terrorizedorphan1

Con

we should never be discerned of history. History always has meaning and on top of that we can determine that peoples feelings are still hurt i might call someone a faggot as pro has said and i might not think it is offensive but they will nd because most people do get hurt feelings wise we can determine that they are offensive.
funwiththoughts

Pro

I stated in the opening that you need to prove that racial slurs are intrinsically offensive, meaning they would still be offensive even if noone was offended by them. My opponent has not shown this. With this in mind, I would like to ask you to vote for Pro.
terrorizedorphan1

Con

I have in fact brought evidence forth as to why we should consider this offensive due to the history,culture and meaning of why these things are offensive,pro has not told us why they are offensive and seems a bit ignorant of my points. The voting is now up to you and i am sure you will take into consideration my points thank you
Posted by funwiththoughts 3 years ago
funwiththoughts
I did NOT say you didn't say why they were offensive. I said you didn't explain why they were INTRINSICALLY offensive.
Vote Placed by Oromagi 3 years ago
Oromagi
funwiththoughtsterrorizedorphan1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Cons argument that racial slurs are a form of oppression and therefore offensive was compelling
Vote Placed by LaL36 3 years ago
LaL36
funwiththoughtsterrorizedorphan1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con should have destroyed but he had the BOP and kind of like Imabench said they just talked past each other but since con wasn't really clear and mainly just responded to Pros arguments, that is not adequate.
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
funwiththoughtsterrorizedorphan1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: if the origins of words such as nigger and faggot have racist or offensive origins, then it is implied that they are offensive no matter what the situation may be. Both sides though didnt really debate that much and both mostly talked past each other, so arguments go to the con since his arguments werent sufficiently countered by the pro