JoseKNT
chairamaswamy

Racism in an advanced country is unsupportable.

JoseKNT

Pro

I'm a colombian student, which I had the oportunity to travel a few times to the U.S and those few times, many people misplaced me, and my family, calling us "alliens", "damned mexicans", and we could not response, because no one ever tried to help us. I, as a person that I am, want to know, why there are people of the United States that are just so close-minded, because for me it's incomprehensible how we can in plain XXI century following this attitudes, this racism and hatred just for being born in another country, only for my skin color and our ideologies.
chairamaswamy

Con

Let me make this clear: I, IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM SUPPORT RACISM OR AM RACIST.

I don't agree with what you wrote about the United States.

I don't know where you traveled to, but if you were travelling to a racist area of the US chances are, in this day and age, you knew what was coming. I'm sorry, but that's just how it works.

Yes, we have people who don't like 'aliens,' and/or people of color. We cannot change that, that is they way they were taught about the world and that is the way they will die. You act as if everyone needs to be perfectly open-minded and accepting (which they eventually should be) only 50-some years after the Civil Rights Movement.

Did you speak about your left-wing political views? Because that will get many a conservative riled up here.

I'm sorry about your experience here, but please understand that we as a nation do not condone what happened to you.
JoseKNT

Pro

I respect your point of view, and thus is why I created this debate. But the point of view of many people that grew up with those ideas is not the justification to do this. I acknowledged that there was a lot of racism in U.S, but it doesn't justify the fact that many of latin-americans are discriminated. I was not trying to get an answer for my ideologies.

But where I'm trying to get is to the point that a country long-time culture doesn't justify that today it has to be followed too.
I'm not generalizating all of U.S, but in most of the states there is a marked racist culture. The "generalizated" racism has to change, all the countries have to left behind the prejudices that tie them in the past. An advanced country is not where a kid gets shot for crossing the borders with their family. The "america for americans" has to be removed, if U.S truly wants to be the country of oportunities.
chairamaswamy

Con

chairamaswamy forfeited this round.
JoseKNT

Pro

JoseKNT forfeited this round.
chairamaswamy

Con

chairamaswamy forfeited this round.
JoseKNT

Pro

JoseKNT forfeited this round.
chairamaswamy

Con

chairamaswamy forfeited this round.
Posted by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Haha. The fact that you think the issue is about supporting racism shows that you have no conception of what racism is and how it manifests. You're just a typical 14 y/o kid whom thinks he/she knows everything.
Posted by Kvasir 2 years ago
Kvasir
I am interested in this debate, but would like it if the subject was better defined. Is this a moral debate, as in "should not be supported", or a debate of principle, as in "cannot be supported"? Also, please define "unsupportable".
Posted by hatshepsut 2 years ago
hatshepsut
The longevity of racism doesn't depend on whether it's nice or not. Racism is functional because it helps keep certain groups privileged over other groups within a society. White labor didn't have to compete with black labor as long as blacks were relegated to shacks in the river bottoms. White labor feels that way about Latin American immigrants today.

Mexico has its own form of "racism" with lighter skin favored and prejudice against Guatemalans, Hondurans, or Colombians whom the Mexicans feel are social inferiors.

Blue-collar White people in the States may confuse them all, but that's just ignorance. I can't tell Mexicans and Colombians apart either, not because I'm racist, but because I don't speak Spanish.
Posted by greatkitteh 2 years ago
greatkitteh
Well, North Korea is the closest thing to non-racism (ironically) since they only have North Koreans. . .But they are racist to the world if you qualify their propoganda as part of racism.
Posted by este 2 years ago
este
There is something before racism in America, I believe it to be worse, it is why you experienced this in America, it is far more worse than the ignorance of racism. and it will eventually will be the cause of freedom in America and its down fall, it is called indiference
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
Even if you don't get all 7 billion people to be non racist, racism will eventually become negligible if not non-existant.
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
I would not say it is unstoppable, look at the progress made so far in pretty much every corner of the world.
Posted by TBSmothers 2 years ago
TBSmothers
You guys are right when you say racism is unsupported, but it's also unstoppable. It appears that no matter where you go racism seems to be present. Even with civil rights movements pushing forward and many people are pushing just as hard in the opposite direction.
Posted by Stefy 2 years ago
Stefy
I'm going to agree with you and take it a step further. Racism in any country is unsupportable. Whether or not it is so called "advanced." And i don't think any country with widespread racism has the right to call itself advanced.
Posted by CommunistDog 2 years ago
CommunistDog
People are closed minded and try to pick at any difference in a person and one's self for their own amusement, and to make fun of something that is not at all bad. Someone could say that your race is bad but obviously, they would not have any reasoning to support it. I am white. I am not above-average in intelligence. I am not different from any person descending from a different race other than physical appearance.

Characters are not developed at birth, they're forged over the length of an entire lifetime.