CoronerPerry
gusgusthegreat

Racism is used as a crutch/weapon by minorities

gusgusthegreat

CoronerPerry

Pro

The first thing I need to say, is this is a purely opinionated debate. whoever wants to argue this, don't use statistics. you can use quotes and examples, but no statistics...... thankyou.

"Racism, in the first place, is a weapon used by the wealthy to increase the profits they bring in by paying Black workers less for their work" That quote was from the author Angela Davis.

This statement follows closely to what I'm trying to point out. Mrs. Davis only talks about it being a weapon used by the wealthy, but at the same time, Racism is a weapon used by the minorities to get more from our government.

my biggest example has to do with affirmative action.

Because of affirmative action......, two people will be applying a job, one will be a white american who has amazing credentials, who was never late to work, and who brought lots of money to his previous job. the other will be a black person who works as little as possible, who has bad credit, and who has been fired seven times in his life. the person who will get the job will be the black person with horrible credentials. The reason is because the employers are afraid of coming out racist, and violating affirmative action.

how is it fair that the person more qualified for the job doesn't get that job because the employer is afraid of looking racist?
In my opinion, that is not fair at all.

another example, and I'm going to tell everybody right now that I mean no offense by what I'm about to say.

I walk down the street, and I hear very commonly, two black people calling each other "niggers" it bothers nobody, because it's just two black people saying it.

but then also, nobody cares when a white person calls another white person a cracker, because, oh, it's just two white people saying it.

but then if I were to walk down a street, and say to my black friend, "hey, nigger" me being a white person will get attacked at being racist...

on another level, if a black person says to me, "hey cracker" nothing will happen, and nobody will call him racist.

I will get into trouble, but he won't.

"Cracker" and "Nigger" have the same amount of racial prejudice in it. they are the same idea, meant for different color in skin.

where is the fairness in that?

so in conclusion, Racism is very biased in these modern days. racism is used as a crutch and weapon by minority groups in america, and it completely harms everybody else.

Good luck NEG :-D
gusgusthegreat

Con

The affirmative would have you believe that the whole idea of racism is used as a crutch by minorities. He would have you believe that they are using it as a means of gleaning advantage over the majority who are afraid of being designated racist. This is not true. Let us examine the first example.

"two people will be applying a job, one will be a white american who has amazing credentials, who was never late to work, and who brought lots of money to his previous job. the other will be a black person who works as little as possible, who has bad credit, and who has been fired seven times in his life. the person who will get the job will be the black person with horrible credentials. The reason is because the employers are afraid of coming out racist, and violating affirmative action."

In this scenario, is it really the African American man who is using racism as a weapon? Not at all! He is simply applying for a job. While he may realize affirmative action might give him an advantage, it is not really he is using racism as a bludgeon of sorts--it is the other members of the majority group that the employer is part of. Assuming the employer does NOT hire the black man, the black man can do nothing about it. The people who will turn around and club said employer over the head are the members of the majority! While the black man stands on the sidelines, members of the majority group will point fingers accusingly at the employer and call him a racist man. THE MAJORITY, not the minority, uses this idea of racism as a weapon to keep itself from having to revisit unpleasant memories from its past. (ie thoughts of slavery, etc.) Though the minority group may try to add to the commotion, being the minority, their opinion ends up meaning little in the end. Thus, the majority must be the wielder of the weapon called racism.

In the second argument presented by the affirmative, African American people can call one another "niggers" and Caucasian people can refer to each other as "crackers" but if there is an interracial breach of name-calling, problems occur. When a black person refers to a white person as "cracker", they will not be accused of racism, but, were it the other way around, the white person would be. This is not a case of the minority using racism as a weapon, but the MAJORITY doing so. As the majority does not point fingers at people for being racist, they continue to hold a favorable position from blacks in government etc. While the minority may THINK they are brandishing racism in the faces of the majority, it is really the majority who are using the minority to remain in a position of power. So long as the minority is allowed to think of racism as their crutch, the majority will have support from the minority. Essentially, the majority is letting the minority think they have control while playing their support like a puppet show to remain in a favorable state.

MAJORITY uses racism as a weapon of control, not vice versa.
CoronerPerry

Pro

CoronerPerry forfeited this round.
gusgusthegreat

Con

gusgusthegreat forfeited this round.
CoronerPerry

Pro

CoronerPerry forfeited this round.
gusgusthegreat

Con

gusgusthegreat forfeited this round.
Posted by kayleetrottier 6 years ago
kayleetrottier
I am surprised that no one has brought up the issue of majority culture having an institutionalized advantage. From day one children with in a majority culture have the advantage. Affirmative Action merely attempts (only an attempt) to level the playing field. The argument that a black man doesn't even have to be qualified "fired from last 7 jobs" is asinine, this point only strengthens the logic that Affirmative Action is still needed. The program does not place unqualified workers in jobs it more or less would give a slight edge to an individual of a minority background if they were both well qualified. Companies have very low quotas to fill especially compared to the population statistics, which is only further evidence that White Males still hold a majority of the jobs, money, and power (they still have the advantage).
Posted by gusgusthegreat 8 years ago
gusgusthegreat
I hate prejudiced people. ;)
Posted by CoronerPerry 8 years ago
CoronerPerry
you cannot be racist against racist people. that would be called prejudism, not racism.
Posted by gusgusthegreat 9 years ago
gusgusthegreat
Well said to...who?
Posted by HandsOff 9 years ago
HandsOff
Well said.
Posted by jkeila192 9 years ago
jkeila192
As a biracial female (black/white), I can relate with having an advantage over white people in common things such as getting hired. I feel as if people are trying to make things better by being extra nice to blacks. Even though all "we" want is to be treated normal. I dont want to win an argument or what ever the case may be because of my race. In that case, I take it as white people feeling sorry for blacks. Such as a typical athlete letting a handicap person win a race. Rasicm needs to come to the point of equality. Other people overshoot what needs to be done by letting race be the advantage over other races.
Posted by Littleweasle 9 years ago
Littleweasle
First I would like to say that an opinionated debate is just a debate as any other debates. They don't have to always be about statistics. So this debate is not an oxymoron. Second there is racism in the world. There are scholarships that are only opened to African Americans and Japanese people. Why because of what has happened in Americans' past history.
Posted by brian_eggleston 9 years ago
brian_eggleston
"Because of affirmative action......, two people will be applying a job, one will be a white american who has amazing credentials, who was never late to work, and who brought lots of money to his previous job. the other will be a black person who works as little as possible, who has bad credit, and who has been fired seven times in his life. the person who will get the job will be the black person with horrible credentials."

Since when was a candidate's personal credit history been relevant in job applications?!
Posted by gusgusthegreat 9 years ago
gusgusthegreat
Wait. So you're racist against racist people? :D :P ;)
Posted by CoronerPerry 9 years ago
CoronerPerry
I brought up this controversal topic, because I am very passionate about my hate for racist people. we are all equals, regardless what race we are. I shouldn't be put behind a minority group just because I'm white. I deserve to stand in line with all of the races.
Vote Placed by new-world-order 9 years ago
new-world-order
CoronerPerrygusgusthegreatTied
Vote Placed by Littleweasle 9 years ago
Littleweasle
CoronerPerrygusgusthegreatTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
CoronerPerrygusgusthegreatTied