Racism isn't a bad thing in itself

Let's begin by defining racism. I would define racism as simply recognition that the human race is divided into different sub-races which share common characteristics among each group. The most obvious being skin color. Where is the evil in that point of view? By believing this to be true. I outwardly admit I'm a racist. Now we can move on to bigotry. Simple definition...I will completely concede to Wiki's definition on this one. A bigot is someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats other people with hatred, contempt, and intolerance on the basis of a person's race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, language, socioeconomic status, or other status. I am not a bigot. I believe there is a huge difference in the meaning of these two words. I also believe it is an injustice to delude the two.

Yeah but... racism's bad. You would be hating on someone, not because of something they did, but rather the fact that they have some racial background.

I believe I clearly specified the difference in racism and bigotry. You, simply redefined bigotry. I don't see anything hateful or wrong with acknowledging a person's skin color for example. To do otherwise would be dishonest. I can't honestly say that I can't tell what part of the world a person might be from by the color of their skin, no more than I can pretend to not have a good idea what part of the country a person is from by the accent they speak with. If I were asked who my English teacher is, but didn't know his name and he was the only black teacher, it would be racist of me to say,"the black guy." But I don't believe that is bigotry at all. I would be referring to his race in order for you to understand who I'm talking about with no malicious intent. I don't see anything wrong with that. But if I was to say it in a manner of discontent or disapproval because of his race, such as,"I got the dang black one," that would be bigotry. See the difference?

I believe you have defeated me...

This was my first attempt at a debate online that wasn't a name slinging squabble. I enjoyed getting my feet wet here and look forward to participating in future debates. Thank you. I would like to add that I recently watched a video, Crips and Bloods, which basically was a documentary about the rise of black gangs in and around LA. I found the reasons for these gangs to have been formed originally to be valid. there was obvious bigotry in the Los Angeles police force. Black children were excluded from Cub Scouts and other youth organizations. As a result, naturally they formed their own clubs. The police viewed them as gangs. They were unfairly harassed which resulted in a hatred towards authority. Eventually this led to the Watts riots. In watching the unjust treatment of all blacks in the cities, it was easy to see why they hated whites, and found it necessary to eventually rise up.

I realize this was not the beginning of racial tensions, but I believe it to be the cross-section of our history in which blacks that are still alive today in America, rightfully can reflect back on, and still feel animosity and hatred due to their personal experiences.

We have come a long way in the last 50 years in correcting these problems. I do believe that in America, it is quite possible that racial tensions can, and most likely will eventually fade away. But in order for this to happen, we must be willing to admit that reverse discrimination is alive and well in America. Because society is bending over backwards in order to make restitution for its past sins, the hatred and bigotry remains.

Bigotry will not be resolved until we start to see the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton stand up for whites and blacks alike. when those of us who lived through the 60s are dead and gone, we will be left with a generation that has not personally experienced bigotry in so far as it is in any way accepted openly. When there is no one left who can say, "when I was young, we drank from separate water fountain's,"then perhaps we can start to mend relations between races. As long as we continue to teach our children and grandchildren to be bigots, there will be bigotry.

We should always remember and teach history, but this must be done in a way in which the next generation understands that the struggle is over. Our children must be taught that it is okay and in fact natural to be proud of your heritage and that we all have differences. But it is not okay to discriminate other races for their differences. Racism should and will always remain intact. Bigotry is what must be removed. This can only be done by openly and honestly accepting that races are different. As long as it is socially acceptable for any race to promote bigotry, bigotry will remain. Rules and laws must apply to everyone equally, or there will always be resentment. Resentment breeds bigotry.

Bigotry will never be abolished completely. But I believe it will subside to a degree that perhaps one day a white man won't be afraid to approach a black man in his neighborhood and ask for directions.

And while were on the subject, Asians are better at math because they study, not because they are Asian. In their culture they are taught early on to spend practically all of their time studying as children. If a white or black person spends as much time studying as any Asian child, they would also Excel in their knowledge.

koon139 forfeited this round.
Posted by Athill1 3 years ago
I think that is the most loaded definition of racism I've seen yet.
Posted by Wiczus 3 years ago
I disagree with pro. Assotiating the concrete atributes with cerain people (according to their race), may lead you wrong. You cant base your actions, on something you are not sure of. You always have to check something in order to be right. So as long as you can check it, you cant preassume things.
Also following the cliches makes you lazy. It is like chess. If you learn the moves, you will probably be winning with weaker players. But you won't be able to predict any move unless you expierience it. So you will lose most of times when something new comes in. Awknoledge the cliches and you stop exercising your brain. In the end it makes you less intelligent.
Also it offends people if they feel predictable to someone and if they are given the atribute they do not posses. Either way racism offends people.
Fourth reason is that, that racistic behaviour (not bigot) makes the social difference between races stronger, and with it the feeling of affiliation to only one social group. And this leads to bigot at the very end.
Posted by chosentoker 3 years ago
i totally agree with pro as per the definitions of these words on wiki or dictionaries but i believe the reason they tend to be offended by racism is because even though the professor may have had many other defining qualities to describe him people tend to default on the color of his skin i could have easily said the teacher in building 5 room 200 and if the person i was talking to still didnt know whom im referring to he can easily walk there to find out but the black guy seems to be the default and it actually defines a race not an individual so i guess im just saying there are more words to better describe someone then just what race he is. but racist and bigot are truly two different words
Posted by NezyFezy 3 years ago
I totally agree with you.(pro) Understanding the differences between races only becomes bad when people make it bad. With white people(like myself) it is almost impossible to refer to a dark skinned man or woman without at least FEELING racist. Technically, identifying someone as black or white should not be problematic. HOWEVER, in this days society,racism (especially that directed at dark skinned individuals) is becoming more and more serious. An innocent remark such as "that black guy" may just as well be seen as offensive. This is only one of the many crucial problems in the world, and not one that can be fixed in the foreseeable future. In the meantime, the best thing to do is refer to that black guy as dark skinned, that white guy as pale, and that Asian guy as,well, Asian.