WhootItsBobby
Jamesothy

Racism

Con Tied Pro

WhootItsBobby

Con

Being in a new generation/era (2009) many people often say that racism does not exist and everyone is treated equally now. But I myself feel this is not true and racism still exist up to today. Now I can say this and use this as my argument from the current issues I deal with on a daily basis. For instance in school, at work and ect... I feel racism deff exist today but it's more of an "under tone" racism. It's projected directly but indirectly at the same time.

Being African American, it is easy to identify racism. Not just from Whites or Jews or Puertoricans, but also from other African Americans. It is clear to see that none of us are perfect, and we all have different likes and beliefs but where do you draw the line when it comes to racism. Being in a predominant white school, I deal with it everyday. But the issue is why do people claim racism does not exist when in actuality it really does. I can stand on it and say it does exist and beg anyone to differ.
Jamesothy

Pro

First- I challenge my opponent to define what this "new generation/era" actually is and why.

Second- I believe that what you might mistake as "racism" is actually just dislike. Maybe the other African-Americans in your school just don't like you- this is not necessarily racism.

Third- I do not understand WHY the term "black" is not acceptable but "white" is.

Fourth- Puertoricans is not one word- it is two- Puerto Ricans

Fifth- I did not say that racism does not exist today. It does- just not to the extent it has in the past. If anyone is more racist it is blacks.

Sixth- I don't know about any other "whites" out there, but I don't pick my friends by the color of their skin.
WhootItsBobby

Con

And what exactly does your termonology of "If anyone is more racist it is blacks." suppose to mean? It's not hard to see. Even Stevie Wonder can see that racism still exist today. More as you may not see it that way because you dont want to. We live in a "generation/era" where slavery is prohibited and black have the same amount of rights as whites do. Yet, we or should I personaly say: I have to deal with it everday. People walking up to me saying Ni*** this Ni*** that and think it's ok. Or when you walk up to someone they tell you to back away because they feel "threatened" Or someone makes a silly remark saying black men have biger penises then any other race.

I ave had people say to my face that i'm not black just because i choose not to smoke weed/do drugs/ or steal. I would define that as racism wouldn't you?

It works both ways. Why must blacks be called "blacks". First of all we aren't black if anybody didn't notice. We are brown. And why should we be classified as African Americans when/if we were born in the United States of America.

And i want you to tell me. How would you feel if you walked into a public restroom, and you see a black man drawn on the wall haniging from a tree? Are you telling me that wouldn't make you wonder.

Or here's another good example. Im sure or maybe you haven't heard the song "Ship them Ni***s Back" by Jonny cash. Cuz that's not pure racism or anything.
Jamesothy

Pro

1. WHAT was the percentage of blacks voting for Obama- 90%; WHITES for Obama- roughly 50%. If this was like any other election, blacks and whites would have been split approx. 50-50. HOWEVER- well over 50% of blacks voted for Obama- a statistical anomaly. THEREFORE- Blacks overwhelmingly DID NOT vote for Obama because of his politics but because he is BLACK- THAT IS RACISM!!!

2. I did NOT say ANYTHING about racism not existing- I know it does. But I'm sure you don't mean to say that blacks are just an innocent little minority either. Everyone is racist in a little way, whether we know it or not.

3. How would you like it to see whites as the same thing? There was an incident near my town where a white family hung a "black" dummy from a tree for Halloween (it wasn't even really black as the dummy had a black hood over it) and a black family sued the other family for racism. They won because the courts are "politically correct" crazy. The next year (this year), the SAME black family had hung a dummy of Sarah Palin from a tree to be "scary" for Halloween.
The white family sued and LOST and the black family said "It was just for Halloween". THIS IS RACIST AGAINST WHITES AND THIS BLACK FAMILY ARE HYPOCRITES.

4."Ship them Ni***s Back" is a song from the 60's- 70's. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT NOW.

5. "Or someone makes a silly remark saying black men have biger penises then any other race"
I don't know about you but I would take that as a complement. However- I am not black so I wouldn't know how it feels.

6. "People walking up to me saying Ni*** this Ni*** that and think it's ok." I don't think this is okay. But you are alluding that all whites say it. That is not true. That word is disrespectful and I don't know about other whites out there but I would never say that.
WhootItsBobby

Con

WhootItsBobby forfeited this round.
Jamesothy

Pro

There is nothing for me to debate for my opponent has forfeited this round.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
How are we supposed to decide who won this? What exactly is the resolution?
Posted by fo-shizzle 8 years ago
fo-shizzle
good job james
Posted by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
It's quite likely that racism will always exist to a certain degree. I think what those people are trying to say is that racism is nowhere near as pervasive as it was in the 50's, 60's, or even in the 90's.
Vote Placed by Dingo7 7 years ago
Dingo7
WhootItsBobbyJamesothyTied
Vote Placed by Jamesothy 8 years ago
Jamesothy
WhootItsBobbyJamesothyTied
Vote Placed by farmboy22 8 years ago
farmboy22
WhootItsBobbyJamesothyTied