Azag
MacMiller

Racism

MacMiller

Azag

Con

Does race matter?
I am an equal opportunity hater...let's get that straight. I have no reservations about race,creed, or physical ability/disability...any one who doesn't understand honesty, integrity, or honor is a target....now that we all know I am not a saint or a do gooder....

Does race matter? Can you give me a single piece of evidence that there is a difference between me and someone else you've never met who has the same ideals or philosophy?
If you asked a group of "multi racial" friends who all shared the same ideals....typed their thoughts on a subject...then asked someone else to arrange the thoughts to the picture of the person they thought it came from...would they get it right?

The problem is that everyone in America is so charged and/or butt hurt over the Race thing that they have lost sight of things. You say African-American....Latino-American...Chinese-American...I say BS. They are American...period. The only way you could be an African-American is to hold dual citizenship...because let's face it Charlize Theron could technically be called an African-American since she came originally from South African...then Sharlto Copley...they were born in Africa...so...they could technically be called African American IF they hold dual citizenship...if they are full pledged US of A citizen...they are Americans.

Next...colors. Your brown...they are red...I am white...that guy over there is darker red...or is that brownish rust? For the sake of honesty...I am caucasian in color...get me in the sun though and the legally able to be claimed native american lineage shows because I don't tan...I turn a dark rich reddish that my half Russian/Half German wife kindof digs...my wife just burns...my father in law turns olive tan showing his Italian roots. See my point here?
Just because I turn Native American in the sun...does that make me anything but American? Or my wife? Or my father in law?
Race is in your head...anyone can be an idiot...anyone can be violent...or successful...or a despot. ..but only those who see the difference between color of skin can be racist.

In the Army...I didn't care if the guy next to me was green with tentacles and 6 1/2 eyes...he was an american...he was there for the same reason I was...because we love our country enough to care.

So...does race matter? Or is it a socially implemented limitation people put on themselves?
MacMiller

Pro

Hello. I would like to thank you for posting this debate. Lets get to it.

When looking at history and a way to identify ourselves. Race does matter. What if I asked you where did humanity start? And you said in Africa. Wouldn't it matter to you that "oh wow the first humans were black"? If yes then race does matter. Race doesnt matter when you're around society. Put in terms of history as a way to identify yourselves yes it does matter. The reason is people do not know their history and do not know why we are different colors.

Ancient Homo-sapien-sapiens (Modern Man), first began to leave Africa at about 60,000 B.C. These Africans had two great migrations East. The "First" (OOA) migration, saw Blacks with straight hair, taking a route along the coast of Asia, and then "Island hopping" across the Indian Ocean to Australia - the Australian Aborigine (see below). And then making their way to South America - the remains called "Luzia" in Brazil.

The second (OOA) migration event, saw Blacks from Africa; some with straight hair and "Mongol features" (see; San people below), take an "Inland route" through southern Asia and on up to China (about 50-45,000 B.C.) where they settled. Included with this group, were straight haired Blacks "without" Mongol features - now called "Dravidians" who stayed close to Africa, and settled in India and other areas of southern Asia (see below).

Also included with this second (OOA) group, were Albinos (Blacks without pigmentation), who were probably motivated by a quest for relief from the heat and burning Sunshine of southern Africa - and relief from the torment heaped upon them by normal Africans. Even today, superstitious Blacks of southern Africa; maim and mutilate Albinos in the ignorant belief that their body parts process magical properties, which they use in rituals.

The corollary to the above proofs and exhibits, is that the White mans division of the worlds people into the three Human races (Black, White and Mongol) is false and self-serving. When a group member of a species with a great variety of physical attributes - such as Black Humans - who exhibit ALL Human attributes: Black skin, White skin (Albinos), Broad noses, Narrow noses, Full lips, Thin lips, Wooly hair, Straight hair, Hair of all colors, Hair of all textures, Very tall people, Very short people, People with Mongol features - breaks away, and forms a "Supergroup" of ONLY those with a "Single" particular distinct attribute, and through some type of isolation - forced or otherwise, breed exclusively among themselves, thus producing offspring with only that one attribute. They create a Sub-species containing ONLY that attribute!

So when isolate members of a species ALL share a common trait, such as (White Skin - Albinism). They do not form a "New" Race, they form a SUB-SPECIES. Thus Whites are NOT a RACE, they are a SUB-SPECIES!

So when isolate members of a species ALL share a common trait, such as (Mongol features). They form a SUB-SPECIES. Thus Mongol is NOT a RACE, it is a SUB-SPECIES!

So when isolate members of a species ALL share a common trait, such as (extreme small stature - Pygmy) . They form a SUB-SPECIES. Thus the Pygmy is NOT a RACE, it is a SUB-SPECIES!

Therefore, there is only ONE RACE - the "All Encompassing" Black skinned Human race: all others are Sub-species.

Source : http://realhistoryww.com...
Azag

Con

In terms of evolutionary process or adaptation to climate change or regional migration race is equivalent to species as you pointed out and was well documented by Darwin about finches. That is a different bag of cats or can of worms.

In the context of debate set in my first argument...species identification or migratory adaptations has nothing to do specifically to racism described as social limitations brought by a person observing another of different skin color and making a decision to like or dislike based upon observation.
Simplified further...KKK...Ayrian Nation. Neo Nazi skin head anti-the other color group hate speech race.
Ethnic backgrounds are important...but why is "race" important. If we wanted to be technical I am a German-British-Native American...I am either a dark skinned caucasian or a light skinned native american...but if I was purple and you were blue...would color alone change who you are or what you do?
Does that race...what everyone calls racist when you say something negative about their skin color...does it really matter?

Put a herd of Americans( I keep referring to the USA because I live there) and put them in a dark room...blindfolded til they got there...then had them palaver for a while...would they know who was white or red or brown or yellow?
MacMiller

Pro

The question you asked in your opening argument was "Does race matter?" You didn't say in terms of such and such. I took the question plain as can be. As I stated in the comment section and in my last post that race does not matter in terms of society. I have white friends black friends who cares. Love is color blind. Race matters when you're identifying yourself all though we all come from the same ancestor. In terms of history, yes race does matter.
Azag

Con

Race matters the same way blue eyes and blonde hair matter.

Society needs to get over the whole "playing the race card" thing.

race doesn't matter...just the content of one's character.
MacMiller

Pro

Then I agree to that and there is nothing to debate with that. I love you for you are my brother
Posted by Kaneo 2 years ago
Kaneo
What a racist debate. ;)
Posted by MacMiller 2 years ago
MacMiller
Race matters when identifying history but not when you're out in society it doesn't. A black baby and a white baby will play with each other regardless of color.
Posted by Mhykiel 2 years ago
Mhykiel
"If we don't use identities based on heritage, how do we identify our ethnicity? How do we identify what makes us ethnically and culturally unique? I certainly would not say that my ethnicity is black--that's just a color--" then you do agree and race is nothing. I'm all for being proud of heritage. But not some color of skin. When ever you hear some one say, "I don't do that, because I'm black" What is that??? It's hate speech
Posted by Mhykiel 2 years ago
Mhykiel
"But culture and cultural identity do" Those should have nothing to do with race as it is used today. "Starting from the 19th century, the term was often used, in a taxonomic sense, to denote genetically differentiated human populations defined by phenotype" http://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by 2Sense 2 years ago
2Sense
I agree and disagree with your statements. Fundamentally, race does not make a difference. But culture and cultural identity do. This is not to say that the latter factors dictate who is "better" than who--that's the last thing I'd suggest. But there are differences, and yes, sometimes those differences may influence behavior and shape how we view things.

I personally appreciate these differences. As an African American, I believe that I'm able to add a unique perspective to conversations and discussions because of the fact that I come from a different culture than the person I'm speaking with.

And yes, I do condone the usage of "African American" as a way to describe myself. Set aside the fact that my father is from Nigeria and my mother from America , I think the term accurately describes the ethnic backgrounds of many black people in America. What people seem to misunderstand is that being American is not your ethnicity, it's your nationality.

If we don't use identities based on heritage, how do we identify our ethnicity? How do we identify what makes us ethnically and culturally unique? I certainly would not say that my ethnicity is black--that's just a color--and not even an accurate descriptive color at that. In all actuality, I am brown, and not at all black. But regardless what nationality and color I identify with, my heritage and roots will always stem from Africa. Africa is my ethnic background, America is my nationality. Therefore I am African American.
Posted by Mhykiel 2 years ago
Mhykiel
Race is a modern construction. It's purely fictional. It was created to spread more hate. Think about it? what's the best way to stay hating someone. Hate something about them they can not change. Where they are from, the color of their skin etc... Because it means there is no way of reconciliation or compromise.
Vote Placed by Rhodesia79 2 years ago
Rhodesia79
AzagMacMillerTied
Reasons for voting decision: I feel that race does matter. Neither seemed to have this opinion, but Pro did a better job than Con debating.