Neonix
ashtronomy

Racist jokes are funny

ashtronomy

Neonix

Con

Ashtronomy recently commented on a debate about racism. The pro side of the debate argued for the execution and display of minority races. He argued to legalize the murder of black people, by running them over with his truck.

Ashtronomy thought it was funny. I'd like her to defend her position.

ashtronomy

Pro

Come on, man. Are you really interested in debating THIS? It's not even a complex issue. Alright, let me start by saying this: it's obvious you're trying to downplay me here. Your statement is loaded, so it automatically makes me look like I truly think things like, 'legalizing the murder of black people,' are funny. Me just defending my position in return makes me it appear like I actually am racist, when I know I'm not. I guess I'll defend my position anyway.

Yeah you're right, I DID think it was funny. Only for that fact that his skewed thoughts were incredibly bias, and people like you took it to be offensive. Listen, there are far worse things in this world than a so-called 'racist' post on debate.org. Like I previously stated in the comment on Mr. KKK's (or whatever his name was) post, if you watch some late night comedy program, jokes similar to those are bound to come up often.

The fact that I found it to be funny was my personal taste; I don't see how you can argue against someone's humor. Different people find different things to be funny. Sometimes jokes are made based on generalizations, and although it may not be 'nice' to a specific group(s), race(s), or gender(s), they're still frequently made. Just because there are jokes on racial stereotypes, doesn't mean they apply to every situation.

Would you have gotten so defensive if I was a black woman laughing at that post? My guess is probably not. Fortunately for me, I laugh at all stereotypical jokes no matter what the skin color may be. That's just what I happen to find funny.
Neonix

Con

To answer your question, I would have come after you with twice the fervor if you had been a black woman. I'm in an interracial relationship. I'll ask my fiancé what she thinks about the minority murder jokes. I'll get back to you on the reactions of black women being jokingly called monkeys.

Mr.KKK talked about running over black people with his truck. This is what happens when children learn racism from the many, many sources who either support it, or don't take it seriously. By the way, this one is not a joke.

http://www.cnn.com...

My argument for this round:
The only acceptable attitude toward race degrading humor is a response of all out war.

ashtronomy

Pro

ashtronomy forfeited this round.
Neonix

Con

Unfortunate.

Some food for thought....

ashtronomy

Pro

I really like how you completely ignored my entire backing. That question was rhetorical, but I guess you needed me to point that one out. I'm not trying to sound rude when I say, I don't care to hear what your fiance thinks about minority murder jokes. I think you're missing the point here. Your fiance will have her own opinion of minority jokes, as do I. All jokes are outcomes of personal humor. The most sickening thing in the world could be hilarious to someone. Does that make it socially acceptable? Not at all, but they are still laughed at.

That little video you sent me is not a joke, you're completely right; it is a hate crime. Now please show me the evidence that these types of crimes are the direct result from cracking a joke. It even states in the text below that clip, "As the teens were partying and drinking miles away from Jackson that night..." Oh, but being intoxicated had absolutely nothing to do with the murder they committed?

Listen, to be honest, you lost my interest in this debate because it all boils down to someone's sense of humor. This debate would just be a waste of time because it's pointless trying to argue with someone whose view is too clouded by what the media reports. They report a few related coincidences, and that automatically associates racist jokes to a "response of all out war?" You can say these jokes are the worst things on this planet, but what really sets us apart here is that I have the complete opposite view as you. Anything I say you'll just disagree with, and vice versa.

You know what, I find racist jokes from ALL backgrounds to be funny. I can laugh at a stereotype easily because I don't take it seriously. Yeah it's unfortunate that all people aren't easygoing like that, but what are you going to do? That's how life works. Sometimes idiots take racism to another level, and it gets out of hand. Jokes aren't to blame, though. Instead of trying to fight the meaningless jokes, you should turn your attention to the people who hold them up so highly. You want to go all noble on this, then go ahead. I'm sure you'll feel prideful in knowing that I couldn't make the debate response on time. Oh well, maybe I'll find you in another debate. Hopefully next time it won't be something so dramatic.

Maybe you should further your discussion with some of the people on Tosh.0's website
Posted by Neonix 5 years ago
Neonix
Sorry, I misquoted myself on the first sentence.
Posted by Neonix 5 years ago
Neonix
No Ma'am, I'm not taking your side. What I said was:"Certain People find Humor in certain Humor is certain Jokes."
I know five year old kids that think fart jokes are great. I don't much laugh at them. So, I understand that Humor is a character preference.
I also get that if the joke delivery is just right and the person telling it has the demeanor to explain it comically, then something that is intrinsically not funny can be perceived as funny.
Let me be clear, you are laughing at the presentation, not the subject. Calling a black person a monkey is not funny, even if the joke delivery was smooth enough to invoke a smile.

We are not animals. We should have enough self-control not to cheat (referring to your debate on infidelity) and we should have enough self control not to laugh when we know in our hearts that it's really not funny.
That this is no longer a virtue is my whole point. We lack so much discipline in how we behave around each other, that it becomes "normal" to laugh at stuff that isn't intrinsically funny. Through that......we fail to recognize real racism, because it's hidden inside the joke. It's like a Christmas gift with a bomb inside. Neatly packaged but super dangerous.
Posted by ashtronomy 5 years ago
ashtronomy
Whoops, I misspelled your name. Sorry about that *Neonix
Posted by ashtronomy 5 years ago
ashtronomy
Oh, one last thing I'd you to clarify for me, Neonax: "I get that certain people see humor in certain jokes in certain contexts. The debate of origin, however, was....not.....funny."

It seems as if you're taking my side of the debate now. No matter how irrational or demeaning a joke can be, CERTAIN people will still find it to be humorous...or am I taking that out of context? Because from what I remember, I said something similar to that: "All jokes are outcomes of personal humor. The most sickening thing in the world could be hilarious to someone. Does that make it socially acceptable? Not at all, but they are still laughed at."
Posted by ashtronomy 5 years ago
ashtronomy
This thing has gone so far.
Posted by Neonix 5 years ago
Neonix
I got out of the Navy, by the way. I'm a civilian again....(sniff, sniff)...after eights years of service.
Posted by Neonix 5 years ago
Neonix
I was actually Air Force for 4 years and then I submitted an interdepartmental transfer to join Naval aviation for their electronics program. I'm a tech geek. Currently working on my electronics engineering degree. Never was much for being a soldier. I do, however, always carry a screwdriver and a multimeter.
Posted by Sisyphus67 5 years ago
Sisyphus67
@Photographer2188, being a soldier is not mutually exclusive to having an open mind; that comment was a little too generalized, don't you think? I spent only a little less time in the army than you have spent on this earth and believe I am proof positive your quip was misplaced.

We don't choose how we serve, we just choose whether we'll serve, and I'd thank you to respect the service to this country even if you don't respect the way it manifested.
Posted by Neonix 5 years ago
Neonix
Ok, I don't care if you called me a liar in the comment section. I was referring to the structured debate that we had, where you became increasingly aggressive and emotional (and the voters agree).

As for your last comment, it has been submitted to admin for review. Please avoid me from here on out.
Posted by Photographer2188 5 years ago
Photographer2188
Ok Neonix
You know how you don't like it when I judge you? Calling you a liar.....
Well, same thing applies to me then, please don't assume I'm a racist....it's not cool and totally petty. I'll show you the same respect you show me. I don't care if it wasn't funny, I was making a point with it! You know if you really took the time to understand, you would actually understand what we are saying.....instead you make yourself look like a douchebag. Immature of me? Did I upset you, you know theres only one explaination for you having such a hard head and being so stubborn. You wouldn't happen to be part of the united states army or anything to do with war would you?
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
NeonixashtronomyTied
Reasons for voting decision: con tried to make pro look like she was evil on something that almost all of us have been guilty of and pro gave enough to show that this debate is more of a personal attack on a simple remark then an actual debate.
Vote Placed by lightskinnedblackkid 5 years ago
lightskinnedblackkid
NeonixashtronomyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Honestly, neither of you had very well constructed arguments, but I feel Con took things to personally and Pro has the right to her opinion.