grahamreiver
Korashk

Radical Muslims are behaving similar to Catholic behavior during the Inquisition.

grahamreiver

Pro

Korashk

Con

I apologize for the late response because as the instigator and Pro the burden of proof is on my opponent. I will allow him to affirm the resolution before I attempt to negate it.
grahamreiver

Pro

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The term 'radical', according to http://www.merriam-webster.com..., is:

"marked by a considerable departure from the usual or traditional"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The term 'Inquisition', according to http://en.wikipedia.org..., can be:

"one of several institutions charged with trying and convicting heretics (or other offenders against canon law) within the justice-system of the Catholic Church."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The term 'heretic', according to http://www.merriam-webster.com..., is:

"a dissenter from established religious dogma"

RADICAL MUSLIM BEHAVIOR:

According to http://en.wikipedia.org..., the following took place:

"On February 14, 1989, Ayatollah Khomeini, a Shi'a Muslim scholar, issued a fatwa calling for the death of Rushdie and his publishers. Khomeini is thought to have issued the fatwa after hearing about a 10,000-strong protest against Rushdie and his book in Islamabad, Pakistan, where six protesters were killed in an attack on the American Cultural Center.

Broadcast on Iranian radio, the judgement read:

In the name of God the Almighty. We belong to God and to Him we shall return. I would like to inform all intrepid Muslims in the world that the author of the book Satanic Verses, which has been compiled, printed, and published in opposition to Islam, the Prophet, and the Qur'an, and those publishers who were aware of its contents, are sentenced to death. I call on all zealous Muslims to execute them quickly, where they find them, so that no one will dare to insult the Islamic sanctity. Whoever is killed on this path will be regarded as a martyr, God-willing.

In addition, if anyone has access to the author of the book but does not possess the power to execute him, he should point him out to the people so that he may be punished for his actions. May God's blessing be on you all. Rullah Musavi al-Khomeini."

Also according to http://en.wikipedia.org..., the following is of note:

"Hitoshi Igarashi, the Japanese translator of the book The Satanic Verses, was stabbed to death on July 11, 1991. Two other translators of the book survived attempted assassinations.[55]

Ettore Capriolo, the Italian language translator, was seriously injured in a stabbing the same month as his Japanese counterpart.

Aziz Nesin, the Turkish language translator, was the intended target in the events that led to the Sivas massacre in July 1993, which resulted in the deaths of 37 people.

William Nygaard, the publisher in Norway, barely survived an attempted assassination in Oslo in October 1993.

One planned attack on Rushdie failed when the would-be bomber, Mustafa Mahmoud Mazeh, blew himself up along with two floors of a central London hotel."

**I will connect the behavior listed above (radical Muslim behavior) to the behavior of Catholics during the Inquisition.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org..., :

During the Inquisition you could be tried for the following (these are the basic reasons for being tried):

- Witchcraft
- Bigamy
- Sodomy
- Blasphemy

The following are methods of sentencing in regards to the aforementioned "crimes":

- penance (this included fines, exile, and sentencing to the galleys)
- reconciliation (this could include long sentences in jail or being sentenced to the galleys, plus the confiscation of all property; physical punishment such as whipping also existed)
- relaxation (this refers to burning at the stake; execution was public; if the accused repented, they were shown "mercy" by being garroted before being burned alive)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will now connect the two.

In both cases, people were being murdered because of "blasphemy".

This is considered "similar" behavior.

I rest my case.
Korashk

Con

I thank my opponent for posting his arguments.

The main way that I will show that Radical Islam and Catholicism during the Inquisitions are not similar is based on the word Radical. Radical is characterized by my opponent;s definition as the departure from the usual or traditional. These radical Muslims are practicing their religion in a way that is not usual or, as some might say, correct. The Inquisition Catholics on the other hand are supposedly following canon law with their actions.

These Islamic radicals are, based on your examples, being killed because a radical leader told his followers to kill them. There were no other instructions, just killing. This is different than what the Catholics did. The Catholics allowed the heretics to repent before their punishment, which was not always death.

My opponent claims that because both organizations killed those that blasphemed that they are similar. He is technically right, but if we go by loose of a definition then the resolution is impossible to negate. If you were to give me any two events or items I could point out to you ways that they are similar. It is my contention that to affirm the resolution more than just, "They both killed," is needed by my opponent.

I await my opponent's response.
grahamreiver

Pro

grahamreiver forfeited this round.
Korashk

Con

I extend my arguments and urge a Con vote.
Posted by Puck 6 years ago
Puck
Eh, other ways to defeat the resolution than that, Korashk. :P
Posted by grahamreiver 6 years ago
grahamreiver
in regards to the Catholic Church....i can't see how any humane person would belong to an organization with such a terrible history. i wouldn't even want to be associated with that.
Posted by grahamreiver 6 years ago
grahamreiver
i am deactivating my account. i am bored to tears debating on here.
Posted by grahamreiver 6 years ago
grahamreiver
@cerebral_narcissist: it still makes sense, though. you're an obsessive nutjob.
Posted by Cerebral_Narcissist 6 years ago
Cerebral_Narcissist
You don't need to use the word behaving and behaviour in the same sentence.
Posted by grahamreiver 6 years ago
grahamreiver
this should be easy to argue, both pro and con
Posted by Zetsubou 6 years ago
Zetsubou
I wanna take this so bad but I know for a fact that my H/W will interfere.
Posted by grahamreiver 6 years ago
grahamreiver
premise
Posted by Puck 6 years ago
Puck
You made an argument? Huh.
Posted by grahamreiver 6 years ago
grahamreiver
My argument can be easily destroyed.
Vote Placed by twin 6 years ago
twin
grahamreiverKorashkTied
Vote Placed by Korashk 6 years ago
Korashk
grahamreiverKorashkTied