hannahbannana
SniperJake94

Rain is better than snow

hannahbannana

Pro

Rain is so much better than snow for three reasons

1. Rain causes less car accidents
2. Rain isn't as much of a discomfort as snow is.
3. Snow is cold, wet, and is just frozen rain.
SniperJake94

Con

Thank you for anyone reading this debate. And I would like to thank my opponent for bringing up this awesome case. I'm a first time debater on this website. Good Luck!

I would like to start my case before going on to her.

I negate the resolution: Rain is so much better than snow for three reasons.

Observation on the resolution: Rain actually is water falling from the sky. Snow is "flakes" of water falling from the sky.

In order to give firm ground for both sides we will use cost benefit anaylsis. If my opponent can prove that rain is better, she wins. But if I can prove that snow is better, I win. This is what cost benefit anaylsis means.
Contention 1: Snow fall less frequent due to global warming. So every snow event should be cherished because soon as global warming increases the chance of snow will be very slim. Snow is slowing becoming an annually event in Southern CA.

Contention 2: Snow is better than rain because you can play in the snow such as sledding, snowboarding, sking, and snowball fights. In my childhood these activties are fun. As for rain there isn't much besides step on it or kick it. With snow you can have much more fun with it. Anyone who has ever played in the snow, you know how much fun it is.
subpoint a: Snow is actually fun for all ages. Adults can ski or snowboard. Kids can particiapate in snowball fights and sledding. Snow activities can include anyone of any age. Rain is only fun when your a male child because you can splash in the mud but later your scolded by your mother.

Contention 3: Snow is better than rain because snow is like an industry. Mountain resorts profit from snow events. Everytime a skier or snowboarder goes up to a mountain to have fun and buy ski lifts, the resorts profits from it. And since snow is becoming a rare ocasion people come is hundreds. The U.S goverment can then tax these resorts and use the money for citzen benefits such as road repair.

Contention 4: Snow does not cause health issues instantly as rain does. Try standing out in the rain in shorts and a shirt. The next day you should have some kind of cold.

Now on to my oppoment's case:

1. "Rain causes less car accidents." This can be proven false because news reports show car accidents because of rain. Traffic is caused because of rain. If you ever drove a car while it is raining you were probably once told to drive slowly. As for snow you are probably told to take a snow chain wheel with you.
If you've ever gone through heavy traffic while it was raining and on the side of the road you see a car accident this will prove my oppoment's contention 1 is false.

2."Rain isn't as much of a discomfort as snow is." Rain is just as unpleasant as snow. In the rain you can suffer from common colds, running with wet shoes and clothes, and the squeaking noise as people walk into class. The rain is liable for you to catch pnuenia. For example President Henry Harrison gave his inaguration on a day when rain fell and strong winds blew. He soon caught pnemonia and died in office. Snow on the other hand is just a cold numb sensation that can be easily recovered by sitting in the car with the heater on and wearing layers of clothes.

3. "Snow is cold, wet, and is just frozen rain." The word to describe this is sleet. Sleet is a cold, solid, and frozen rain drops. The only wet precipitation is in the form of rain.

Thank you for this debate and I have supported my case and refuted hers. I urge you to vote for Con for the reasons above. Thank you very much. And please post any comments you have.
hannahbannana

Pro

I'd first like to congradulate my opponent on his epic case. I enjoyed reading it a lot.
Now, to begin attacking my opponents case. First off, most people are beging to believe that global warming dosent exsist. All over the country, its been colder than most winters in the past. In my town, it has snowed more this year than the last ten years. California maybe, but in other states not very likely.

Moving on to my opponents next contention, saying that only male children enjoy the snow is not true in the least. I, as a little girl, loved playing in puddles. And most people find it very romantic, to kiss in the rain. There fore rain is not only enjoyed by male children. There are plenty of activites that involve water that rain gives us. Yes, snow has many fun activities, but I would like to point out that getting hit in the face with a snowball isn't all that fun. Even now as a teenager, walking home in the rain just relaxes me, after a long day at school. Also Plenty people love the sound of rain, it's calming. Snow dosen't make a sound as it falls.

Next, there are plenty of things you can do with rain too. Id like to point out that plenty of the lakes around have been helped greatly by rain. There are more water activites to do with that.

Lastly, Snow causes many health issues for people. It lingers, unlike rain. You can slip and fall on frozen snow and break your leg. Rain dosent do that. Snow causes many car accidents also. Rain causes far less. The cold is the worst part of snow. It sends a cold chill through your bodie that you most of the time cant shake off, making you terribly ill at times.

To conclude, I'd like to thank my opponent again for this round. And anyone reading it I'd like to thank you for giving me your time.
SniperJake94

Con

Welcome and congrats to the Con for this debate and to anyone reading this debate. I must admit that is a very nice rebuttal. Very challenging and I love a challenge.

I would like to extend my clarification on rain, thank you. Drizzle and rain are different. Drizzle is small droplets of rain. Rain happens when you can actually see them making splashes.

First I would like to point out that my oppoment never defended her case so she agrees with all that I had argued against her case. I also would like to extend those rebuttles.

I would like to then defend my case sentence by sentence.

1. My opponent stated this,"most people are beging to believe that global warming dosent exsist. All over the country, its been colder than most winters in the past."

This can be easily proven false. According to Professor DeMenocal of Columbia University in a pod-cast/lecture he gave, the year 2004 was the hottest year on record so far. 2007 was the 2nd hottest. Whether you believe global warming or not Greenland is melting and sea levels will rise. We may suffer some consequences such as drought in the middle of the U.S, heavy rainfall near mountains, and raising sea levels in coastal areas. It depends on where you live and how much snow can fall depending on your area. Southern CA chances are very slim this year and it snowed only once. In Texas they had their first snow fall last year, and they were partying like crazy!
My opponent described, "And most people find it very romantic, to kiss in the rain." This is greatly influenced by the media such as in the TV show Heroes where Peter kisses this African American woman during a heavy rainfall. Yet kissing in a rain only becomes romantic during a heavy rainfall, and to prove something, heavy rainfall occurs during a thunderstorm; therefore I do not believe anyone would want to make out outside during a thunderstorm.
My opponent stated this," Even now as a teenager, walking home in the rain just relaxes me, after a long day at school." Technically students, especially high school students, care about their appearance. An you as a girl care about your hair, makeup, etc. Walking in the rain doesn't seem as fun. While it is raining during passing periods most students would prefer to stay under some type of roofing. You wouldn't find many people standing out in the rain talking to each other as if it wasn't raining.
My opponent stated this: "Yes, snow has many fun activities, but I would like to point out that getting hit in the face with a snowball isn't all that fun." Getting hit in the face doesn't really hurt, I was hit once square in the nose and it just stung for a while. And it's true that people love the sound of rain, but it also signals a time of depression as you see in some movies and commercials.

2nd rebuttal that my opponent made: Lakes benefit from rain, true, but the coastline is higher, resulting in less land area to play in. Rain has a direct link with global warming; as Greenland slowly evaporates the evaporation results in precipitation, precipitation falls in the form of rain because the surface is to warm to cause snow. This is a reason how snow slowly becomes a rarity. A vast amount of rainfall may result in a land slide that can kill hundreds of lives.

3. My opponent never stated what type of snow in the first round, therefore she cannot bring up the argument over frozen snow, yet I will still debate about it. She also stated that snow causes lingering health issues. If these issues can linger than we have a longer time to do something to stop it before the issue even comes up. A hot shower also relieves numbness. Frozen snow can break your leg, yet rain puddles can break your leg when you slip on it. Rain occurs more frequently so unfortunate rain related incidents will occur more frequently, so please watch where you step after it's been raining. Snow occurs less frequently than rain. Therefore rain related car accidents happen more frequently than snow. My challenger did not provide any evidence or logic regarding rain related car accidents, this argument does not stand. And the part my fellow competitor said about a cold chill up your spine, true, but you can always bring a hot thermos of coffee or hot chocolate to warm you up.

To conclude I have refuted my worthy challenger sentence by sentence false. And to sum it up, I have defended my case, but my opponent dropped her', and showed why snow is better than rain. My opponent had brought up new arguments (such as romantic time in the rain, lake refill, and the sound of rain), it's against the rules, but I played on and refuted it. Thank you for reading this long refutation. And I look forward to my opponent's final speech. Thank you very much!

And also if you have any comments, please it's my first debate on this website.

Just a cool fact, the shadow of snow is blue.
hannahbannana

Pro

First off, I'd like to say that in attacking my opponents arguments I was defending my own.
Next to begin attacking his contentions, First off, yes scientists can say what they want about global warming but really. Its all a little far fetched to me, but that is not what we're debating here, so I'll get off that topic. Next, myself have never seen the show hero's and making out wasn't what I meant. It's quite in fact, considered romantic to kiss in the rain. You can ask any teenage girl. It isn't influenced by shows or movies, its just nature I suppose. Just because it's raining outside dose not mean that there is thunder or lightning.
Also, yes, teenage girls care about their hair and what not, but none the less. Its called waterproof make up and a hood. I don't know what students do around where you live, but in my town we love the rain. Especially as high school students. It again is calming and relaxing.
To conclude with this attack on his first contention, It does in fact hurt very bad to get hit in the face with a snowball. Maybe because he is a male it wouldn't hurt so bad, because boys are taught to act tougher. If you said it did, then that would make you a wuss because you are a guy. I broke my nose getting hit by a snowball in the face. I thought it hurt plenty. I would also like to point out, that snow is very depressing also. Its wet, cold, and brings a gray look to the clouds.

Moving on, snow is not a rarity. CNN stated that its snowed all over the united states more than it has in past years. I believe that basically proves that global warming is not in fact affecting us as harshly as my opponent is trying to say.

Next to attack his third contention, yes, I didn't state what kind of snow because I was talking about snow in general. Wet snow, dry snow, they both in time freeze on the ground creating ice. People are getting sick from the snow all over the world. It is called a cold. You can treat it with simple medications, but it still causes major discomfort for the few days it stays. Hot showers would relieve the numbness yes, but as soon as you get out your just cold again. Next, I have never slipped in the rain, water is far less slippery then snow is. Snow makes you slide when your driving causing accidents and killing people. My opponent stated that I showed no evidence proving these car accidents everyone knows occurs all the time. I will provide some now.

http://www.car-accidents.com...
http://www.liveleak.com...
http://www.car-accidents.com...
http://www.efootage.com...
http://www.car-accidents.com...
http://horowhenua.kete.net.nz...
http://www.car-accidents.com...
http://www.car-accidents.com...
Those are just a few of the horrific accidents and deaths snow has caused.

To conclude, I would like to point out that I didnt bring up new arguments, just more evidence. I now urge voters to vote pro, because of the three following reasons
1. Snow kills thousands of people every year.
2. Rain is over all harmless
3. Snow is fun for a time, but over all its just a major discomfort.

Thank you to my opponent, and thank you for anyone reading this, I urge you to vote pro again.
This debate round was fun, and a worthy challenge. VOTE PRO.
SniperJake94

Con

SniperJake94 forfeited this round.
Posted by SniperJake94 8 years ago
SniperJake94
What? I forgot the timing. I wuz going to post arguments. Crud!
Posted by hannahbannana 8 years ago
hannahbannana
woot. drifting is fun.
but dangerous.
drive safe.
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
Hooray! It's been snowing here in London and I'm off to create havoc in my car!

B/t/w, earthquakes are no fun...I used to live in Istanbul and there was a massive one there a few years ago that killed 17,000 people and there is another, bigger one, expected soon...
Posted by hannahbannana 8 years ago
hannahbannana
lol sweet.
he's good (:
I'm having fun
Posted by MewxVenus 8 years ago
MewxVenus
Hannah, I'm debating this guy too! lol

HI JAKE!!
Posted by hannahbannana 8 years ago
hannahbannana
wow you guys crack me up.
i hate snow, but i agree with drifting in the snow.
FUN
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
We had one this summer . . . the Northridge earthquake. Good times. Good times.
Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
I lived in CA for 3 years and can't remember ever having any serious earthquakes.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
I survive earthquakes!
Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
I may take this.

Living in Florida sucks because there is no snow. Snow cancels school. We have hurricane days though.
Vote Placed by sabrafink 8 years ago
sabrafink
hannahbannanaSniperJake94Tied
Vote Placed by wpfairbanks 8 years ago
wpfairbanks
hannahbannanaSniperJake94Tied
Vote Placed by bobby123 8 years ago
bobby123
hannahbannanaSniperJake94Tied
Vote Placed by Metz 8 years ago
Metz
hannahbannanaSniperJake94Tied
Vote Placed by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
hannahbannanaSniperJake94Tied
Vote Placed by hannahbannana 8 years ago
hannahbannana
hannahbannanaSniperJake94Tied